Defraggler 2.12.628 Display Error of Page File

It does not show the Page File separate from the "Not Fragmented" - it all shows up as blue.

View the screenshot below to see in more detail.

This only occurred when installing version 2.12.628. Version 2.11 worked just fine.

post-41527-0-15068000-1355414957_thumb.jpg

Life may not be fair, but the least we can do is make games fair.

--Me

• Moderators

can somebody name for me a page file? so I can confirm this?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Is this what you mean by "name a pagefile to confirm this"? Refer to screenshots below.

post-41527-0-52642200-1355509356_thumb.jpg

post-41527-0-83976200-1355509534_thumb.jpg

--Me

• Moderators

yep I'll go confirm this now, but I'm pretty sure I also see this issue as there are no brown blocks in my map either

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators
I solved it by installing Version 2.11 again.

That is not solving it, that's hoping someone else will do the heavy lifting of fixing it as opposed to aiding and greatly speeding it up. That said, that's a fine solution, and I'm sorry you are having this issue with 2.12. . . not so sure it's worth downgrading for as it's a cosmetic thing.

OK so to my research

Strangely, I do not have pagefile.sys listed in my fragmented files list

I do indeed have a pagefile.sys on my machine. see edit below

Please each and every person in this thread post your OS like mine below (except ChrisGranger who already told us)

Windows8 32bit

I will update this post as people report in so tel me which category to put you in

The Following people Have pagefile.sys in their file list but it shows as Defragmented (or fragmented?) Blocks

@Anthonyk747 (Need OS) (Need Bit)

@ChrisGranger Vista 32bit

@Nergal Windows 8 32bit

@rickmastfan67 Win7 x64

@YbeVvista 32x

The Following people Have pagefile.sys in their file list but it shows as Empty Blocks

@Kato Wilbur (Need OS) 64bit

The Following people have reported not having this issue

{Empty space maybe to be filled}

EDIT: ok so I've never used Defraggler's search and didn't realize I could search non-fragmented files as well so I reset my filter. . . Mine also shows as non-fragmented and I have edited the post to reflect this. New Image:

post-21882-0-26276700-1355523874_thumb.png

Edited by Nergal
added me toos

• Moderators

I'm seeing this happening as well.

Windows 7 x64

As Freespace or as non fragmented?

Wow Nergal, for a moderator, you sure don't clean your system as often as I do. I Quick Defrag 3 times daily and Full Defrag once weekly. I use CCleaner 5 times daily, Clean Registry once weekly, and Wipe Free Space on all possible drives (including SDs, Flash Drives, etc.) once monthly.

Anyways, here's my system stats:

Windows XP 32-bit SP3

Nvidia GeForce 7600 GT 256mb

Intel Core2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13GHz.

4GB DDR2 Dual-Channel RAM (but only 3.5GB Read-able due to 32-bit OS)

ASUSTek Computer INC. Basswood (Socket 775) MicroATX Mobo

233 GB Western Digital WDC (SATA)

(Refer to screenshot to see full version)

As for YbeV:

I recommend re-installing 2.12 as the display error is minor, in terms of the performance upgrades provided by 2.12. Sometimes, you don't have to necessarily see something working, to know it's working.

post-41527-0-91811500-1355590035_thumb.jpg

--Me

Wow Nergal, for a moderator, you sure don't clean your system as often as I do. I Quick Defrag 3 times daily and Full Defrag once weekly. I use CCleaner 5 times daily, Clean Registry once weekly, and Wipe Free Space on all possible drives (including SDs, Flash Drives, etc.) once monthly.

Being a mod has nothing to do with that & goodbye to your HDD/drives. :D

• Moderators

what nodles means is all of the actions you describe are over kill and will greatly reduce the lifespan of the drives. Especially the flash and SSD which only have a finite number of read/write action

Hi Moderateur,

I got the problem in Vista 32 bit

Are you really sure that the problem is only cosmetic and does not hide a malfunction of pagefile treatment ?

any feed back from the lab ?

A+

what nodles means is all of the actions you describe are over kill and will greatly reduce the lifespan of the drives. Especially the flash and SSD which only have a finite number of read/write action

Hm, well, 6 years for my HDD and it still has "Good" health according to Defraggler, so a little confused there. Oh, and I've had my 32GB Flash Drive for 2 years and it's still kicking and Defraggler says it's "Good" health. Maybe, what I'm really doing is improving their health, and you guys seem to believe in a myth that has spread across the internets.

To make those 6 years a bit more accurate, the Power-on hours is: 687 Days, 8 Hours.

--Me

• Moderators

oh, I'm sorry your right, you know who else "believe in a myth that has spread across the internet"? Well known memory manufacturer and technology developer Kingston

http://www.kingston.com/us/community/articletype/articleview/articleid/136/ssd-flash-memory-and-write-amplification.aspx

What Does This Mean for You?

Write Amplification is an unavoidable side-effect of NAND Flash technology - whether used on SSDs, USB Flash Drives or SD cards. However, NAND Flash Controllers will use proprietary algorithms to try to keep the WAF as low as possible, often by using a DRAM cache chip and combining Writes. The key take-away is that Random writes wear an SSD much more than Sequential writes — there is no wear from reads.

Kingston rates its SSDs for Client systems (The V+ and V series SSDs) at 20GB in mixed Random/Sequential writes per business day — for 3 years. So, there is no cause for great concern for typical users, as studies have shown that even power users are typically under 10GB of mixed writes — and then only on specific days. In a future blog, we will discuss server use cases and SSDs.

Author: Cameron Crandall - Kingston Technology

Note, what you said you do is not "typical everyday" or even "power-user" use

edit: for hard drives see http://community.wdc.com/t5/Desktop-Portable-Drives/What-causes-bad-sectors-on-a-hard-drive/td-p/319289

that said we can continue to speak of overuse of drives in a separate topic as this topic is focused on a current bug

On-Topic: I believe we have many me-too's and no not-me's thus far.

I'd say this is a bug I that either pagefile needs to show color, or be removed from the drive map-key.

Note to anyone confused, I am not the lab, just a user like you. The developers never may comment, but have heart, they read everything in the forum and have most definitely seen us, the user, mention this as a hug bug

Edited by Nergal
added HDD explanation

• Moderators

super fast why would a cosmetic bug (something showing one color instead of another) cause you to downgrade. I can understand somebody who doesn't know computers thinking that it was a bug that means anything toward the function of the program, but honestly I expect more than that out of you.

I find that PageFile is BLUE = "Not Fragmented" instead of YELLOW when I use DF 2.12 instead of 2.11

In case my display was not compatible with a new Defraggler colour palette I changed "Not Defragmented" to GREEN and then Pagefile also appears as Green.

Below are screen-shots showing relevant views

DF-211.gif shows version 2.11 with a yellow streak which is the 8 GB Pagelfile located on E:\

DF-212.gif shows version 2.12 with a green streak which is the 8 GB Pagelfile located on E:\

Defraggler is no longer reporting the Pagefile as such, but merely showing that it is Not Fragmented

(and just possibly it might show fragmentation but I am not going to trash my Pagefile to find out.)

I am using 64 bit Windows Ultimate + SP1

post-19700-0-91095600-1355761642_thumb.gif

post-19700-0-30298500-1355761653_thumb.gif

super fast why would a cosmetic bug (something showing one color instead of another) cause you to downgrade. I can understand somebody who doesn't know computers thinking that it was a bug that means anything toward the function of the program, but honestly I expect more than that out of you.

Do we have proof that its purly a cosmetic bug and nothing more?

Do we have proof that its purly a cosmetic bug and nothing more?

My post above proves that when Pagefile is Not Fragmented then Defraggler shows it as being Not Fragmented,

and when I hover over it then it pops up to show that the block holds one file

It is very probable that a fragmented Pagefile would similarly be reported as Fragmented,

and version 2.12 would very probably be prepared to defrag the Pagefile if Windows allows it to,

Because I like to see the pagefile layout, & it's much harder to do so when it is the same color as the other files.

So far as I know, 2.11 doesn't have any dangerous bugs, & 2.12 is still being tested by people to verify it works proper.

It is assumed that it does work better, & maybe it is so, but I do so love the pagefile map view for unspecified reasons (could be a long explanation).

I don't hate 2.12, it's just that I cannot see the pagefile without hunting it down manually, as opposed to the view presented in 2.11.

Don't worry though. Downgrading to 2.11 won't cause the end of the world, or chickens to die, or aliens to kidnap me!!! :P