PLEASE Add ''Securely Empty the Recycle Bin (Simple Overwrite (1 pass))'' to the Recycle Bin context menu

mattjs

Damn I just blew my all my typing away! Talk about secure erasure this is what I just got and what I want so you'll have to read between the lines for this new feature. All the one pass overwrite functionality is already built in to CCleaner but is slow and needless to erase all files and not just those chosen in the bin already with a third Recycle Bin Context Menu Item and another Checkbox Item in the CCleaner Configuration Menu.

There! that's it!! and I can get rid of Eraser for one utility that can do it all!

Got it? I ain't typing the hard sell all over again but please go guys and do it because it is both such an easy and useful tweak to actually do!

post-64952-0-96851300-1355132755_thumb.png

post-64952-0-29518100-1355132757_thumb.png

Very simple: You Delete files as you normally would which then wind up in the Recycle Bin.

You then Securely Empty the Recycle Bin for confidential files which triggers a one-pass overwrite by CCleaner before deletion so that critical confidential private data is not left lying around on disk.

Windows regular Recycle Bin Empty operation doesn't actually touch and clear file contents which lie scattered but intact on disk and even the cluster chain association and order of those pieces is readily recoverable to prying eyes with a utility like Piri's very own Recuva! Doh!!

CCleaner already has all of this functionality and securely wipes disks (which I am also about to do before repurposing). All that is actually needed are the two menus options I mentioned and probably no more than a couple of dozen lines of code...

Enabling the Secure CCleaner mode is both very slow and continually wears out your disk unnecessarily (but I am not complaining - it can be left as is for those that wish to use it).

I would much prefer to use my Securely Empty Recycle Bin when I need to and just occasionally do a free space wipe for the whole disk with CCleaner or another tool.

Make sense now?

Different stroke for different folks.

If you want to be paranoid with the recycle bin then why not be consistent and set CCleaner to also over-write all that it deletes.

You only have to alter the settings from "normal file deletion" to "secure file deletion",

and then automatically the recycle bin will be securely deleted if you have a check against "Empty Recycle Bin"

I see no need for two extra menu options - the existing capability appears adequate to me.

Again we will have to agree to disagree as I see that option as needlessly slow, and potentially wasteful of disk life and even data integrity. There is a small but not insignificant risk that an OS or other crash or failure at this time of needless overwrite cleaning by CCleaner may lead to the inadvertent erasure of adjacent sectors in the case of such an event. I would be a little less concerned if it were the OS performing this service rather than an application but these risks are the same should for example power ever go down during such a disk (over)write. :-)

I wish to overwrite to clean before deletion for just those particularly sensitive files for which I choose to do so and not continually all the time as I have explained.

Addition of this feature would entirely eliminate the need for other secure deletion applications such as "Eraser" and like I said 2 to 3 dozen lines of code tops assuming an originally well written and modular application.

Out of interest it appears another utility I use - "Send To Toys" - does apparently perform this service on a Send To Recycle Bin whilst holding down the CTRL Key "Send To "Recycle Bin" sends a file or files to the Recycle Bin. Hold down the CTRL key to perform a file shredding." Presumably a one pass overwrite which I will have to test...

Again we will have to agree to disagree...

and like I said 2 to 3 dozen lines of code tops assuming an originally well written and modular application.

I am happy to agree to disagree.

After spending 30 years designing real time operating systems and applications,

I often had to estimate how to fit a requested extra feature into my own software,

and what existing code might be in danger of breaking.

Then I might guess at how much time and effort would be needed to implement and test.

The quantity of lines of code would be totally irrelevant compared to the cost of my time,

Even with all of my experience and skill,

I would not presume to tell someone else who has developed software that I have never seen,

how many lines of code he has to write to meet my requirement.

You have the right to suggest a new feature.

You have the right to request a new feature.

BUT I find it offensive that you would criticise the nature and quality of the CCleaner software should the new feature require more than 36 lines of code.

• Moderators

the developers read all suggestions and consider those that are feasible. Many suggestions are added to the software.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

The 36 lines of code quote came later after you first committed the heinous developer crime of initially dismissing a reasonable user suggestion and request immediately out of hand only to find that the user was in fact also an experienced developer who then addressed all of your criticisms and concerns enough to make an ass of your initial ill-considered remarks.

I would suggest that you address the lack of people skills this displays or else find yourself a different job that might agree with you more since I would be more than happy to take yours...

I would apologise however if I may have hit a raw nerve over the code quality issue as I do understand that nothing else riles some developers (egos) more than mentioning this and I should also have known better had I perhaps not let my insider developer experience overwhelm my own people skills here a little also haha ;-)

Life is too short and you are sounding a little depressed here: So please be well and prosper my challenging friend!

I am happy to agree to disagree.

After spending 30 years designing real time operating systems and applications,

I often had to estimate how to fit a requested extra feature into my own software,

and what existing code might be in danger of breaking.

Then I might guess at how much time and effort would be needed to implement and test.

The quantity of lines of code would be totally irrelevant compared to the cost of my time,

Even with all of my experience and skill,

I would not presume to tell someone else who has developed software that I have never seen,

how many lines of code he has to write to meet my requirement.

You have the right to suggest a new feature.

You have the right to request a new feature.

BUT I find it offensive that you would criticise the nature and quality of the CCleaner software should the new feature require more than 36 lines of code.

• Moderators

mattjs alan_b isn't the developer of Piriform Software, he (and I as well) is just a user expressing his opinion. As I did say above

the developers read all suggestions and consider those that are feasible. Many suggestions are added to the software.

What I did not state is that the developers don't (ever really) make their presence,nor thoughts on individual suggestions and questions, known by commenting.

That said, from the onset this thread has been carried out a bit uncivilly, I understand that you experienced problems with getting the first post published

Damn I just blew my all my typing away! Talk about secure erasure this is what I just got and what I want so you'll have to read between the lines for this new feature.
however to us readers that isn't there, we don't know what is in the posts that were blown away.

perhaps retry stating the case for your suggestions, clearly and concisely; we as a community tend to comment on those features we agree or disagree with (that's what a community is) so when someone comments, don't take it personally. If there is a flaw in their reasoning sure reply back, but use common sense.

Let this post be an end to discussing the # of code lines it takes for x-thing because that part of the program is closed source so only those people involved in development can claim anything but meaningless conjecture.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I see no heinous crime when I asked you why you wish to use Normal deletion for most things.

Your first post complained about the time wasted by securely deleting everything.

You appear to have overlooked this capability of CCleaner :-

You can Analyze and then select only one of the items and right click the CLEAN to delete that one item,

hence if secure overwrite is enabled you can overwrite the recycle bin without dealing with browser caches etc. etc.

I did not dismiss your suggestion out of hand.