DOM Storage cookie removal in registry

philtec

My bank has upgraded their security settings and now sets their cookie into the registry under DOM storage.(super cookie?)

It seems that CCleaner gets rid of this cookie during cleaning (at least for my set-up) and in order for me to log in after a cleaning I have to receive a call from them with a code number to enter into their website.

Is there a setting I have to uncheck in order to retain this cookie in my registry?

Win7 Pro 64bit SP-1 IE-10

• Moderators

I believe dom cookies are treated as cookies try to check cookies to keep under options

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

A little research brings up the following.

I could be wrong, but if your bank is using DOM storage (localstorage), I don't think it will be kept in the registry. Any references in the registry will be related to the localstorage files.

DOM storage is stored in slightly different ways by different browsers, but it's usually an index.dat file stored with a text file for each cookie. I think this is the stuff we've recently been talking about in Opera's "pstorage" folder, which is an index.dat file accompanied by a text file for each cookie. Firefox uses "webappsstore.sqlite".

For IE in Win7, after resetting your data, and before running CCleaner, have a look in ...

C:\Users\[username]\AppData\LocalLow\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStore\

Assuming IE10 uses the same location as previous versions.

You're looking possibly for an index.dat file and a text file. Reading the text file may give you a reference to your bank, but I think that info will probably be in the index.dat file, which you may be able to read with notepad. I don't have that location at all, so can't check this out myself.

If you find files there, but can't confirm that your bank is using one of them, then "Exclude" them from cleaning, and see if that protects your data.

http://www.piriform....egistry-entries

Let us know how you get on.

post-8751-0-04030600-1355003174.gif

Thanks for the reply!

My computers' C: partition does not have DOMStore in the Internet Explorer folder.

What it does have are two folders, iconcache and Services..

The registry location is HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\DOMStorage

I have seen the banks entry at this location in the registry and after running CCleaner it had disappeared.

I have taken your advice and added the registry line to my ignore list and I am sure it will not happen again.

Thanks Again!!

• Moderators

Although I seem to have been wrong about the registry, you got the location, and hopefully that's fixed the problem.

I'm wondering if those files are hidden, or can "localstorage" be nothing more than a registry entry? I didn't find any reference to that while looking around.

Interesting. post-8751-0-96605700-1355007870.gif

Hi, Philtec, glad you got it fixed. :)

Fwiw, I do find a "Domstore" in windows explorer, but do not have "DOMStorage" in the registry. Go figure.

Using win 7 home prem 64 bit ie 10.

In any case, I never keep any of those cookies, so sometimes have to get the bank to call or email a temp password. Oddly enough, sometimes that isn't necessary.

th_ie10_2_iconcache.jpg th_ie10_1_reg.jpg

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Wellll, brand new to win 7 here, so there is no telling what is really hiding hereabouts.

But that is a screenshot of the registry path that Philtec described (if i got it right), and no such entry is visible.

Maybe is is something that particular bank does?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators
Win7 Pro 64bit SP-1  IE-10

ie 10 is not released in its full version for win7. CcleAner doesn't officially support 10 in 7 yet, this might be the reason for this happening the best you can do for now is to add the entry to your excludes (as you have)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com