Windows 8 users thread

hazelnut

• Moderators

Anyone having issues in windows 8 with flash crashing?

I'm constantly having it quit playing videos in IE10 and Google Chrome(both latest versions). I've had this problem since windows 8 came out. I thought it was graphics drivers but those are updated too.(this pc is using core I3 with intel graphics)

• Moderators

Only had one crash and it was not video related. I was dragging hidden files, you know the ones you see when you unhide sys files, and Win 8 said ''Hold on, I'm not sure about that'', blinked a bit and then said ''Carry on''

I haven't had a crash viewing Youtube but then again this is a lowend desktop with on board graphics which Win 8 basically says are rubbish but still lets me use them :)

Does selecting compatibility view for the websites that crash help at all?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

For anyone like me who is using Win 8 with a local account only (in other words not signing into your pc with a Microsoft account) I just like to pass on this info.

You can get apps from the store by signing into the store with a Microsoft account when asked to, and then after installing app, (and while still in the store), go to the setting charm and sign out of the Microsoft account.

You will still only have a local account showing in User Account settings.

So when using a local account only on your machine, you are able to sign in and out of the store with a Microsoft account without it affecting anything about your set up.

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

You can also revert to a local account in the system settings if you're using a Microsoft one

True.

My issue was that I don't want (at this point) a Mic account even showing in User accounts. This was a test I did to see if getting something from the store would then enter a choice of accounts in User Accounts.

It didn't, there is still just my local one.

Now that I know this I've got my Solitaire card games from the store :lol:

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

If 8 separated their slide screen apps from regular desktop windows (as opposed to the way it flits from one to the other in my testing), it would be great.

I hated the way it would be in desktop mode one moment, then switch to full screen apps (Do I want to be a tablet, or a pc?)

Also hate the way charms pop in & out when your opening programs, or simply need to go near (not even touching!) the corner to reach a folder/etc.

I suppose many of these could (eventually) be worked out, when I have time. Sigh...

As you know with hybrid sleep most times you never get the traditional cold boot when you use your machine.

This little shortcut allows you to fully shut down yout machine for those times when you feel you need to.

http://www.howtogeek...ng-hybrid-boot/

Can't you just use the shutdown included if you install Classic Shell? -> http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

• Moderators

Can't you just use the shutdown included if you install Classic Shell? -> http://classicshell.sourceforge.net/

I don't use classic shell I really prefer to use Win 8 as is.

Once folk figure out that the start screen IS the old traditional start button plus more, they will understand Win 8 better.

I also have no idea what you are talking about when you say one minute you are in desktop screen and the next in full screen apps mode without you doing anything. It just doesn't happen unless you ask it to.

Super Fast don't turn this thread into 'I hate the way' type of thread. It is for users to swap hints and tips, not moans, understand?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

My start screen changes quite a lot as I try different things out. At the moment the way I have it set up I can use most of the things I use and need without going to the desktop to do it.

I made most of the Microsoft start screen tiles smaller and moved them all to the other side of the screen :)

P.S. I really like how when if you hold the Windows key down when you press the print screen button it automagically saves a full screen mode shot in a folder called Screenshots in your pictures library

post-1555-0-64116700-1356617697_thumb.png

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

hazelnut -> I don't use classic shell I really prefer to use Win 8 as is.

SuperFast -> I can type 130 + WPM, so searching is not a problem for me. I just prefer to see what I am clicking, & sometimes I forget the name(s) of one or more of the thousands of programs I batch install in a testing session.

I can see where you had success with textual access, but it seems that it doesn’t work that well for what I use it for.

Classic Shell makes it far easier for me, but I am guessing you are more textual oriented. No problem there. Just a difference of likes.

_____

Hazelnut -> Once folk figure out that the start screen IS the old traditional start button plus more, they will understand Win 8 better.

SuperFast -> I knew that about Win8 way before they launched it. I read up about it. I also tried it. It has functions that are coolish, but sometimes they do get in the way with what I use it for. I like right-click uninstall, but sometimes I just like to see a pretty Wallpaper behind my icons. Instead of what I consider much uglier tiles.

I don’t hate tiles, I just have a preference for the desktop (most of the time) because I have 20,000 + High Res wallpapers to check out.

_____

Hazelnut -> I also have no idea what you are talking about when you say one minute you are in desktop screen and the next in full screen apps mode without you doing anything. It just doesn't happen unless you ask it to.

SuperFast -> Maybe it doesn’t happen on yours, but when I am in a desktop tile & click an app, I get kicked out of the desktop for a full screen app. I don’t mind full screen apps, but I wish they had a way to max/min/control the size of it in a normal window so I can go back to my desktop easier when I need to. It’s kind of jolting to click an app & have it hide the desktop while it goes full screen & goes on top of all other windows & full screen.

Again, I don’t hate the apps. I just wish I could remain in desktop while having more control over when the app goes full screen (or being able to X it out & close it without having to use charms & other actions that take up way too much finger motion on mouse or screen if you have a large screen).

Traditionally, a simple mouse click or keyboard control & your out of an app. Not much mouse travel at all.

I tried to explain things so you would understand better, so hopefully you can see now what I am talking about. :)

Now, don’t take it as a hate 8 thread, because even though I have things I don’t like about 8, there are other things I do like.

For instance: I hate that they disable Aero in 8 :( sad face. That is one area that I have not fully tested yet, but I will be testing later to see if it can be enabled in 8. Or, if necessary, patched to support a Royale/glassy visual style similar to the one used in 7 for machines that cannot support aero glass due to graphics cards.

I did get around to testing the registry patch for increasing screen resolution on 10 in netbook screens so that it won’t generate the err that screen resolution is unsupported & it actually does work, so long as you reboot after making the change.

When I say I hate something, don't take it personally or anything. Usually, it doesn't mean I haven't tried it or experimented with it, but that it just doesn't work the way I want/need it to at the moment.

Sometimes, it makes me sad that by the time you have everything working the way you want on one OS, you have to re-do everything all over again for a new OS that changes it again. Oh, the time!!! :)

Just try to look over the things I "hate". I am only human, after all, & subject to emotion. Hey, I try!!! LOL!

My start screen changes quite a lot as I try different things out. At the moment the way I have it set up I can use most of the things I use and need without going to the desktop to do it.

I made most of the Microsoft start screen tiles smaller and moved them all to the other side of the screen :)

P.S. I really like how when if you hold the Windows key down when you press the print screen button it automagically saves a full screen mode shot in a folder called Screenshots in your pictures library

Your attached thumbnail does't get 'quoted' here, but I'm referring to it. What are the color limitations of the tiles? Can you access the color picker to change their colors, or are they limited to the standard 4 to 5 bland colors on highschool textbook covers I saw in the 1970s? :huh:

• Moderators

The colour of my tiles (I say 'my tiles' to differentiate between them and metro ones on the start screen) picks up from the background colour which I can choose in the 'personalize' area of the pc settings.

There are backgrounds as well but I haven't done much changing of that for as long as I can see the screen I'm not too bothered what the colour is as I'm not on that screen long enough... I'm usually here!!

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Okay Corona decided to look into the start screen colour options a bit more as you asked about them.

Screenshot 1 shows you the options I can choose from at the moment for the start screen (note at top you can change the account and log in area from here as well)

Screenshot 2 shows you how I ended up (may not be keeping this setting :lol: )

post-1555-0-94442000-1356795555_thumb.png

post-1555-0-53352700-1356795564_thumb.png

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Screenshot 1 shows you the options I can choose from at the moment for the start screen (note at top you can change the account and log in area from here as well)

I noticed that you have no picture set for your user account.

Is it me, or has anyone else thought of the possibility of newbie PC users posting screenshots of their computer (complete with user account picture) & some program or website (http://face.com/ has been acquired by facebook) using it to identify users? :o

Think of the future. Cop stops you & takes picture with his cellphone. Cell checks photo online. Yessir! Positive identification of who this is!!! :)

I kinda like the way 7 hides the user account pic till you logout. At any rate, what do you think about this?

:)

Thanks for your posts Hazelnut. If I were a 12 year old girl I'd think Windows 8 was made just for me! :lol: What you have as your desktop image...I've seen that artists' work before at Jay Is Games (Casual Gameplay). The big font in the PC Settings column. :wacko: The whole theme looks like it was geared toward kids in 7th grade. (You know, the Occupy Wall Street crowd, twiddle fingers and chanting and all.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

just upgraded to win8 pro x64. so far so good, very painless migration.

one question, what is the swapfile.sys on the root folder of C:\ drive?

actually, not that I really care, my main concern is the C:\ is a SSD and if needed, I'd like to move the file to another drive. or if not needed, can it be deleted?

any win8 users been there, done that?

(wow, just notice the forum spell checker is finally working for me - go w8 :) )

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.