can't watch some videos on youtube

aqua

Might want to think of earning a few dollars and upgrading to Win 7 with more ram & such. XP is now for researchers delving into XPs' older abilities, not for people who want up-to-date services. XPs' support has been discontinued by Windows.

Bit off topic, but: Support for win xp sp3 ends 08 April 2014.

http://support.microsoft.com/ph/1173

http://support.micro...n=en-gb&c2=1173

http://www.microsoft...dofsupport.aspx

That said, upgrading is a good idea in the bigger view of things.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

As a simple elimination process, you could try disabling your hosts and adblock.

I have had videos on some sites, although not Youtube, blocked by a simple hosts entry, but you'll never know if you don't give it a try. The fact that it's "some videos" and not all, may be down to some 3rd party company associated with those particular videos having an entry in your hosts file.

If you disable these features, close and relaunch your browser for them to take effect, and if you're using Sandboxie you may find that adblock is still active after reopening your browser. Depending upon which way you have Sandboxie set up, you may have to launch your browser unsandboxed to disable it, and then relaunch sandboxed.

The same thing applies to enable adblock again. I know I have to launch Opera unsandboxed to change certain things.

Worth a try before you do anything more drastic.

BTW. . . still using XP SP3 here and it works just fine.

Me too, its my windmill to tilt at. [sic] :P

I just went to youtube and had to update my flash player.

Works OK though. Win xp home, ie8 here.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

As a simple elimination process, you could try disabling your hosts and adblock.

To see if the Hosts file is the culprit, there are other ways to do this as well, but there's a simple little batch file utility called RenHosts (Rename Hosts), that once installed, allows for quickly renaming the Hosts file just by double clicking the shortcut.

http://winhelp2002.m...sfaq.htm#Rename

• Moderators

my money is with DennisD's suggestion - the HOSTS file.

i've recently started using MVPS host file and have noticed it now blocks ad type boxes on some web sites.

also, i usually have greater success using Firefox whenever IE has it's little hissy fits.

a page that has issues with IF seems to have a much greater chance of working under FF (as for your particular you tube issue - make sure you get the latest flash updates for FF)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Firefox seems to generally render webpages better than Internet Exlorer, although some website will block all but IE users.

Because user profiles may get corrupted, & because newer firefox versions trying to use older firefox profiles can cause problems, create a new admin user under the control panel.

Reboot, & login to the new profile.

Then, after you ran CCleaner:

- Download & install the latest non-ie flash, then do the same for Firefox from the Filehippo website.

- Install ad block plus.

- Download & install the latest video drivers for your PC.

If your still having problems, please post back.

Me too, its my windmill to tilt at. [sic] :P

I just went to youtube and had to update my flash player.

Works OK though. Win xp home, ie8 here.

do me a favor go to these 2 places in youtube..and check if you have video..i only have sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76_CjaxoAtY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KW45LVw73b0&feature=relmfu

--using sware iron and flash for it and fanboy adblock list...these 2 plays good

the problem is not with host file

i have all updates,and the latest flash player version

-i also uninstall and reinstall ie8=it doesn't work..

so i think is a problem with latest version of flash

note: when posting these 2 links here videos work....but when going to youtube site there is a black screen

Yes to both. Copied the video url & pasted onto new tabs. Sound & video OK.

I did get a suggestion to get the new version of flash, but both played OK without the update.

Edit: the flash player update from that earlier post was not installed this time.

The little flash window now says "You have version 10,3,181,14 installed"

Apparently version 11.5.502.110 is the latest.

I clicked your videos, & both played.

Then, I clicked play on youtube (because you stated that is where your problem is) and it showed the black box where the video should be but nothing happened.

However, I also have 71 tabs open, as well as some I have at the beginning tab that need to be recovered that I have not opened yet.

So, I opened Task Manager & killed off flash. Then, refreshed the tab containing the youtube video, & it played with no trouble at all.

For some reason, flash seems to crash a lot when it gets over 1 something GB on my machine.

I haven't yet determined the cause of this, but it seems a general rule (on my machine).

• Moderators

is an old one nvidea gforce3 Ti 200

Adobe Flash Player a has bug when using some Nvidia display cards/display drivers.

Edit:

I also have an Nvidia display card and have to use the old vulnerable version 11.3.300.271 of Adobe Flash Player in order for videos to play properly.

Edited by Andavari

@Andavari, I have an ATI card, so I don't think that is the problem. Also, intel integrated graphics on one system.

I would have to say that it may have to do with the recent DRM intro'd to the newer flash versions.

(As well as the ballooning flash size to a whopping 15 MB download)

• Moderators

@superfast,

i think the new and increased file sizes are due to the 32 and 64 bit versions becoming 1.

i couldn't find each version, that were about the 8meg size, only 1 which was coincidently doubled in size, so i'm assuming they have a '2 in 1' deal.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.