How to make 8 great

Super Fast

http://www.neowin.ne...-win7-explorer/

I thought this was really, really cool.

I will try this out soon, to see how this works.

Hazel, :) LOL!!! I know, I know... 8's already great, don't be lazy, try the touch, etc...

But my netbook isn't touch, & the screens resolution is too small for tiles, & I wanna try 8 to see if it is any faster on it or better.

So, if this works like it looks, I will be able to have a de-metro'd 8 that works like 7 until I need the tiles, then I can add them back by uninstalling.

Crossing my fingers, & if anyone gets to try it before I do, please lemme know what you think...

* Please only try this on an experimental box, & only also if you are a bit experienced. You first have to obtain the Win 7 files as per instructions before applying it to 8. I intend to test on something like my netbook eventually, to see how things go.

Or perhaps, even experiment with other coolish ideas. Just to see what happens.

• Moderators

If you're just going to de-modern-UI windows 8, why not just use Windows7

this times a70c3c40a64e7

Edited by Nergal
fixed number

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Sorry but putting hacked versions of key windows components onto a computer isn't a good idea. I cant imagine this will lead to anything but a buggy windows install.

I've been using windows 8 since it came out and I've gotten to know its good functions and bad functions. Some of what this tool is replacing is actually a real improvement(the ribbon interface in explorer is actually great).

I did buy start 8 and its a fantastic program. I'm all for customizing computers to your liking but what your link suggests will probably cause more harm than good.

If you're just going to de-modern-UI windows 8, why not just use Windows7

1) Faster

2) Like to experiment

3) Why not?

:)

* If I can get a faster "7" without the metro (netbook does't have touch screen, & screen resolution is too small for it to properly work), why not?

It happened to me.

As a friendly gesture a close relative in I.T. support took my sleeping in the armchair as permission to give my XP Home edition a "Vista GUI" feel.

I did not like loosing the Egg-Timer and watching a spinning circle.

I did not like anything about Vista.

I uninstalled the Vista addon and still had a spinning circle. :angry:

I learnt to live with it (and continue to detest it).

Windows Disc Cleanup did the dirty on me.

It compressed files it didn't oughta.

Windows File Protection complained because it mistrusted the *.cpl files that had been compressed,

and the manifests of registered system files were out of tilt as a result of the Vista experience,

so System File Checker poked its nose into my affairs and demanded Windows Installation Discs.

Ready-to-Go Laptops from Dixon retailers have windows preloaded and do not come with Installation Discs.

Nice one Dixon's :wacko:

Some time later after again sleeping in the armchair I found that SP3 had been installed.

I was pleasantly surprised to get my Egg-timer back,

and SFC no longer had a hissy fit.

Ideally, MS would just give in and make the start menu an option. Seems people are unwilling to learn the new interface.

What I really think W8 needs is a tutorial. It just kind of drops you into the system and says "go" without telling you which way.

I think people are just upset something's been taken away. I was like that with all the Windows transitions since 3.1

It will all come to tears when you have to run SFC and it demands the installation disc.

Though, I can't tell you when I have needed to run that.

You also have a skip file (if you know its ok) option with SFC when it finds a "changed" file, do you not?

I forget. Long time since I used it.

Anyway, what do you think when someone uses 8's HDD pooling capability to combine nine 80 GB HDD as a single drive so they can store one of their precious gaming CD's in iso format, then one of the HDD dies (taking part of your image with it... forever)...

Or, Windows klutzes somehow, & your drive mapping scheme goes haywire.

Perhaps you accidentally bumped a wire (or 2) & Windows swaps drive letters on drive reconnect.

No need to tell you what would happen if Windows tried to complete a write to drive D (formerly drive E) during the swap.

Or if you put the copy on pause & add an external drive with partitions D/E/F/G/H on it via USB. Shudder to think of the horrors when you unpause copying!

Wonder which would cause more problems? SFC, or the new HDD pooling feature of 8? :wacko:

• Moderators

pooling uses striping and mirroring if one HDD dies data is fine and you go buy another drive

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Cool. So, long story short, if you pool multiple drives to increase space, mirroring takes up more space.

So, net effect is you just decreased your space right back down again, negating the benefits of pooling...

Well, guess you still have a copy, even if it takes up several times the space of the original.

• Moderators

not only that but you can create a pool with two drives (for ex two 40gb drives) and tell it the pool is a different size (continued ex instead of 80 you tell it that the pool is 500 GB) and (until you begin to approach 80GB in our example) the computer acts like has (500GB) at which point throw in another random (120gb) that your (homey) gave you to wipe and you're rolling again

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/01/windows-8-storage-spaces-detailed-pooling-redundant-disk-space-for-all/

http://www.pcworld.com/article/247403/three_benefits_of_windows_8_storage_spaces.html

Edited by Nergal

not only that but you can create a pool with two drives (for ex two 40gb drives) and tell it the pool is a different size (continued ex instead of 80 you tell it that the pool is 500 GB) and (until you begin to approach 80GB in our example) the computer acts like has (500GB) at which point throw in another random (120gb) that your (homey) gave you to wipe and you're rolling again

Following on from Fake 64 GB Flash Drives

Could you sell on eBay a fake 10 TB Windows 8 system with those two 40 GB drives ?

Will you ? :o

This sounds like a bad thing.

How can it be good to make like you have 500 GB (if you really haven't)?

What happens if you get Windows to lie that you have 500 GB (& you've only 100), then Windows forgets you only got 100 when it is mirroring your files (or you install a 250 GB game)?

Personally I don't believe anything can be done to make 8 great.

I don't like the idea of specifying that a disk has more free space than it can actually have. And the more I read about windows8 the more I am truly scared of even spending time with it.

I have very little experience with it, if any, and now I read this --http://news.cnet.com/8301-10805_3-57551670-75/design-guru-nielsen-windows-8-ui-smothers-usability/

It says you can only focus on one application at a time when using the main interface? Why do we even *need* two interfaces in a desktop to begin with? How the hell am I gonna do programming on one monitor, itunes on the other, Matrix screensaver on the 3rd, and Playstation on the 4th?

This is absurd! And the author is right, there are too many hidden things. Too much minimalism in the presentation of the "desktop".

• Moderators

I have clean installed the full Win 8 Pro 64bit (not an upgrade) on a pc tower. I have also installed the Media Center from the free key Microsoft sends you if you ask for it.

Obviously early days, still tripping over things, but I intend to keep it :)

Sandboxie and Malwarebytes installed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I have heard that the Media Center key that MS gives you for free, will make 8 permanently activated.

Not sure, but I will be testing. Because I like to see if what I hear is right or wrong.

There are a few other things I have heard about 8, but I will save that for another day of testing.

• Moderators

I have heard that the Media Center key that MS gives you for free, will make 8 permanently activated.

Not sure, but I will be testing. Because I like to see if what I hear is right or wrong.

There are a few other things I have heard about 8, but I will save that for another day of testing.

Just so no one misinterperates what you seem to be implying.........

My Win 8 is a bought key for a full install. I have in no way circumvented Microsoft activation.

This is what you are referring to

http://www.theregist...r_piracy_snafu/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I like the way you think about that, Hazel!!!

I tried for a day or two, to think how installing the free media player key that MS gives you would be circumventing activation, but then I only came up with this.

1) Microsoft gave everyone the media player & key for free. People aren't trying to circumvent. MS did it for them.

2) Circumventing activation implies you did something illegal. Since MS gives away the media player & key for free, you're not doing anything illegal.

3) You can't tell people not to install MS Media Player, since MS is promoting it & giving it away for free.

4) This leaves Microsoft in a real pickle, since they are the ones promoting it & giving it away.

So, the end result is, MS is giving it away for free & users are doing nothing illegal by using what MS gives them for free.

I am sure, by Windows 9, MS will learn better. However, it is also possible that MS also saw that Windows 8 would be such a drastic change, that it may flop.

Hence, the "fully activated" state of Windows, (once you add media player) could be a marketing angle they thought of in order to improve adoption of 8.

I would not put it past them to "accidentally leak" a fully licensed key like that, to try to dominate the market & shove Linux the rest of the way out of it.

Then, tighten down controls to draconian levels & force everyone to do exactly like you demand.