No Picture Previews

Teppes2012

I'm using Recuva to recover some deleted pictures from a friends computer. When the scan is complete it shows me lots of picure files, but it will not show me any previews. When I click on a file, it is showing the state as "Excellent" and the comments as "No Overwritten Clusters Detected". However, when I click on it, it the preview pane says "Ne Preview Available". When I actually recover the file, I still can't see the file. Do I have something wrong in the settings? Is there something I need to do in order to preview the files? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

No, I don't think you are doing anything wrong. Pictures and Videos are notoriously hard to recover. Sometimes, as in your case, there's no picture in the preview but it restores fine; sometimes there is a preview and when restored it won't open as a picture (or opens as a really, really small version. IIRC this has to do with the preview thumbnail embedded into the file.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Paid-for programs are best for photo and video recovery. They license rights to write the proper file headers. Freeware programs do not.

It is a disservice, IMHO, to not make this known.

• Moderators

Paid-for programs are best for photo and video recovery. They license rights to write the proper file headers. Freeware programs do not.

It is a disservice, IMHO, to not make this known.

The poster is posting in Recuva Discussion so it is not a disservice to not mention paid programs at this point. Please don't make it sound as though we don't ever go down that route when trying to help posters.

There have been plenty of times where other programs have been suggested when other methods have not worked, however our main aim here is to help people use Recuva.

Or are you suggesting we just bypass any advice and say ''try paid software instead' ?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've found Recuva, along with most other data recovery software, to either work or not work right out of the box. When one tool says prospects are good but doesn't bring something back from the brink - it's time to try something else. And quickly. Very quickly.

Right away because (in my experience) people start experimenting around and degrade their chances of a successful recovery. That's pretty much it.

Among consumer-level products I've seen Recuva work where no other choice has, and the other way around too. Sorry to have jumped the gun, carry on.

• Moderators

Keatah what Hazelnut is saying is you've jumped about 50 shades of steps. The OP has yet to even try recovery. They are only talking about the preview window.

Secondly, maybe on another forum your style of "it's time to try something else. And quickly. Very quick" flies, but this is an OFFICIAL forum for a SPECIFIC brand and software. Before anyone mentions other programs, the program for which we are giving support should be fully vetted.

As well it is a general guideline here to let Moderators or Admins to decide when it is time to suggest other avenues for recovery.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello can someone please answer the question? I mean no offense but we really need help from you experts. I also have installed recuva to recover jpg and Adobe illustrator files. When I go to restore the file the jpg files either open blank or say the format is unknown. And the ai files say the same has anyone encountered this? I'm using Windows 8

Many answers have already been given to a single question that probably applied to Recuva 1.43,

and no further help was required.

It is even possible that the subsequent release of 1.44 resolved all issues.

I think Windows 8 was not fully released when 1.43 was developed.

I suggest you start your own topic since mistakes can result when more than one problem is discussed in a particular topic.