WinXP SP3 IE8 Won't Start

nikki605

I need some help with my wife's 8-year old desktop. It had been running fine until a couple weeks ago. The first problem was that IE8 wouldn't start. Checking Task Manager, I would see 2 instances of iexplore.exe under the Processes tab, but nothing under the Applications tab. I was troubleshooting that for a couple days and the problems started to mount. I found I couldn't boot into Safe Mode. Then, even when trying to boot normally, after logging in, the desktop wallpaper would display, but that was all - no desktop icons, Task Bar or Quick Launch Bar. But, no BSODs or other system errors.

Last Thursday, thinking the old 120GB HDD might be finally going bad, I decided to bite the bullet. I bought a brand new 500GB HDD and scratch loaded WinXP SP1 from the original manufacturer's (mpc - Micron) CDs. I installed SP2 then SP3 and then applied all MS critical updates. I've spent the past 4 days re-installing all my applications and restoring my data which I had backed up. Everything was going fine up through last night when I powered off the PC for the night. I thought I was home free.

This morning, the PC boots up fine. I go to start IE8, but it quickly flashes and the window closes. :angry: This symptom is different than the original problem on the old HDD - on the old drive, I never saw the IE8 window flash. This morning, iexplore.exe never displays under the Task Manager Processes tab. A quick check of a few other applications shows they are working (I haven't run every single program). Googling the symptoms results in a long list of results for this problem. I start running down the list since I can now boot into Safe Mode with networking.

Here is what I have tried so far with no success:

Reset IE8

Start IE8 with no add-ons

Register ieproxy.dll

Boot into Safe Mode w/networking & start IE8 normally

Boot into Safe Mode w/networking & start IE8 without add-ons

The one thing I haven't done yet is to uninstall IE8 and go back to IE6 to see if that would work. During the scratch load of WinXP, I skipped installing IE7.

Any ideas (and please don't suggest Firefox, Chrome, etc.)?

Add'l info: I have always had MS Updates set to notify only. This morning, I see the notify shield in the System Tray showing a bunch of "new" updates. Because of this problem with IE8, I have NOT yet installed any of these new updates.

Edited by nikki605

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

• Moderators

First thing I feel I should ask is how much did you scan your data before you put it back in?

If it was me in your situation I would have my system checked at one of the malware forums listed here..

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=34786

Make sure you follow the guidelines for the forum you choice and post the requested info and logs in the format they want.

Then with the all clear we can move on to other suggestions.

I know you still want to use IE and are happy with XP so you won't get any suggestions about that from me.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks for the quick reply, Hazel.

I had Norton Internet Security 2012 (ver 19.9.0.9) installed prior and I reinstalled it on the new HDD.

I ran a full scan on 11/11/2012 (Sunday) after installing most of the applications and restoring my data files - no infections.

I have always had MBAM (free version) on my PCs and installed the latest version on the new HDD. I ran a full scan on 11/12/2012 (Monday) - no infections.

Also, I have always had SuperAntiSpyware on my PCs (free version) and installed the latest version on the new HDD. I am running a full scan right now, so I will have to post back with those results when the scan completes.

SAS just completed with 0 threats detected.

I'm pretty sure that I am not dealing with a virus, malware or spyware. Three tools all came up clean - NIS, MBAM & SAS.

Well, to be honest, NIS did find and delete one tracking cookie. ;):D

Logs:

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.65.1.1000

www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: v2012.11.12.04

Windows XP Service Pack 3 x86 NTFS

Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702

Gary & Linda :: MPC-DESKTOP [administrator]

11/12/2012 11:50:04 AM

mbam-log-2012-11-12 (11-50-04).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|)

Scan options enabled: Memory | Startup | Registry | File System | Heuristics/Extra | Heuristics/Shuriken | PUP | PUM

Scan options disabled: P2P

Objects scanned: 328349

Time elapsed: 2 hour(s), 39 minute(s), 27 second(s)

Memory Processes Detected: 0

(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Detected: 0

Registry Keys Detected: 0

Registry Values Detected: 0

Registry Data Items Detected: 0

Folders Detected: 0

Files Detected: 0

(end)

SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log

http://www.superantispyware.com

Generated 11/14/2012 at 12:54 PM

Application Version : 5.6.1014

Core Rules Database Version : 9582

Trace Rules Database Version: 7394

Scan type : Complete Scan

Total Scan Time : 01:12:23

Operating System Information

Windows XP Professional 32-bit, Service Pack 3 (Build 5.01.2600)

Administrator

Memory items scanned : 571

Memory threats detected : 0

Registry items scanned : 39946

Registry threats detected : 0

File items scanned : 56075

File threats detected : 0

• Moderators

As I understand it you can use IE normally in safe mode ... this suggests to me that there may be a software conflict.

Are you able to disable Norton and see if you are able to use IE normally. (obviously no browsing ebay etc just a test to see if IE works :)

If no go.. does it work if you open IE from c\program files/internet explorer and click on big blue E icon?

If no go does it work if you open taskmanager and do file..new task... and type in iexplore.exe?

Do you use any virtual machines?

Are there any relevant errors showing in the Windows Event Viewer?

Have you tried Microsoft Fix-It for this specific thing?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

NO - I cannot open IE8 in ANY mode, normal boot or Safe Mode with networking.

When I boot in Safe Mode, Norton isn't even loaded.

Using Windows Explorer, I navigated to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and double clicked on iexplore.exe - no good, same problem.

I tried starting a new task in Task Manager - C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe - no good, same problem.

I have no virtual machines.

Nothing significant in the Event Viewer.

I can't run the automated MS "Fix-it" (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967896) since I can't open IE8 (I'm in a catch-22). But, as I stated in my opening post, I manually did their step #1 - Reset Internet Explorer. Step #2 is uninstall/reinstall, which as I said, I haven't done yet. Guess that should be my next step.

Having suffered the same experience. When you installed IE8 did you remember to turn off Norton? It is important that you stop all Norton services from running. before starting the IE8 install

Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit - IE11 - Nod32 - Mbam pro

• Moderators

As well as the above I agree that uninstall/reinstall seems the next logical step.

(By the way I meant for you to disable Norton and try IE in normal mode not safe mode :))

If that fails the make a new user and see if IE works from there, something in your profile may have corrupted it.

If you...

In the RUN box, type: cmd

Press Enter or click OK

In the black command window, type: ping google.com

do you get a response?

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

Have you tried a system file check?

I just ran the 'sfc /scannow' but I don't think it ran correctly. The only WinXP install disk I have for this PC is with SP1. While the sfc was running, it kept asking over and over for the Windows CD and I just kept hitting the retry button. Reading some Google results, it looks like I would have to create a new Windows CD with SP2 & SP3 slipstreamed in. :unsure:

Of course, sfc just ends with no results displayed so I'm not sure what it actually did.

Edited by nikki605

Having suffered the same experience. When you installed IE8 did you remember to turn off Norton? It is important that you stop all Norton services from running. before starting the IE8 install

In the sequence of things, I had installed IE8 on Friday (11/9) before I installed Norton (11/10). Nice try, however. ;):)

As well as the above I agree that uninstall/reinstall seems the next logical step.

(By the way I meant for you to disable Norton and try IE in normal mode not safe mode :))

If that fails the make a new user and see if IE works from there, something in your profile may have corrupted it.

If you...

In the RUN box, type: cmd

Press Enter or click OK

In the black command window, type: ping google.com

do you get a response?

Yes, I can ping google, so I have a working internet connection. In fact, I can start my email client (Windows Live Mail - WLM) on that PC and send & receive email all day long, no problem.

I guess I will try uninstalling IE8 and reverting back to IE6 and see what happens.

Using Add/Remove Programs, I uninstalled IE8 which reverted me back to IE6. IE6 started just fine, both booting normal and booting into Safe Mode.

I then installed IE8 (again) using the full-file I had downloaded from MS: IE8-WindowsXP-x86-ENU.exe

After rebooting, IE8 started just fine. :blink: Of course, it ran fine for 4 days after installing it last Friday.

I wonder how long it will continue to work this time? :wacko: Guess I won't delete the IE8 install file.

Oh well, I DO have a new, bigger HDD! :)

Thanks for all the suggestions & ideas!!

Thanks, Hazel. In all the years I've had WinXP PCs, I've never encountered a situation where I've had to reinstall IE8... especially when it was only 4 days old. Uninstall/reinstall was NOT the first thing that popped into my brain.

Oh well, live & learn. I just hope it continues to run.

p.s. - It's still working this morning. :D

Nikki, it seems that XP works best if you take XP (No SP) & integrate SP3 via NLite. Upgrading SP to SP to SP on XP seems to cause problems in my testing.

If things bonker out, maybe you can still try to create an XP SP3 disk from your XP SP1 via NLite & see if it does any better.

I perfer AVG vs Norton, because Norton tries to controll too many parameters & slows or kills machines.

• Moderators

I perfer AVG vs Norton, because Norton tries to controll too many parameters & slows or kills machines.

This topic is about an IE8 start problem on XP SP3 not your av preferences.

Please keep on topic :)

Support contact

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...