Your TV may end up watching you.

hazelnut

• Moderators

As if we aren't paranoid enough, Microsoft has obtained a patent to build in technology in TV's to check how many people are watching a 'pay for view' item... and then charge accordingly

http://www.itproportal.com/2012/11/08/microsoft-patents-tvs-can-spy-us/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

the day that patent sees the light of day will be the day every person covers up their web cams !!!

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

Naw, because the way they'll sell it is to tell customers that it will recognize who is in the room and tailor ads and tv features to the population of the room. This is a furthering of technologies that have been live in Bill Gate's home for (at least) a decade.

What they'll say is "Mom, Dad you don't want little billy watching the Playboy channel, but if he's not there you should be able to freely watch it. With Parental Control, your kid figures out how to get past it and you forget how to. Now your body is your key (optional two factor, enter passcode as well)"

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

What they'll say is "Mom, Dad you don't want little billy watching the Playboy channel, but if he's not there you should be able to freely watch it. With Parental Control, your kid figures out how to get past it and you forget how to. Now your body is your key (optional two factor, enter passcode as well)"

whoa... That's actually brilliant..

I've read a lot about the technology in Gate's home, I think it's fascinating, but it is all opt-in, I believe.

• Moderators

"In Soviet America, TV watches you" (Many of you are too young for Yaakov Smirnov )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I wonder if the old security camera trick of placing a picture over the camera would work to thwart it. :lol:

I can only imagine that someone on Microsoft's end would abuse their ability to eaves drop on people, perhaps their pervert of the month employee.

• Moderators

I don't watch much TV.

That seems to be the norm for many people that no longer have to solely rely upon TV for their video entertainment. I don't really watch TV anymore, I just DVR what I want to see and completely ignore the rest of it which is mostly re-runs or mini-marathons of episodic shows.

Agreed.

I think they will find out (too late) that the whole problem all along is that they make being able to use DRM'd media so complicated, that you have to be a genius.

Not many people want to, or have that much time & energy to invest to do so, which is the real reason they are losing customers.

By now, this whole "War on pirates, theives, etc." has reached such an epidemic scale, it has people scared to do nearly anything for fear of being sued!!!

• 2 weeks later...

From time to time, I consider the TV news to be pure (either left wing or right wing) propaganda. There're A LOT OF websites that have a MUCH better grasp on what's REALLY going on in the world. In spite of sometimes being from the "Loony Left" or the "Loony right".

I have take a piece of ductape and put it over the laptop webcam and microphone. The rare occasions I use the camera or microphone (Skype), I simply remove the tape and put it back after use. So, no privacy violations anymore by Microsoft or anyone else. Problem solved.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

From time to time, I consider the TV news to be pure (either left wing or right wing) propaganda.

I gave up on most of the TV news long ago. About the only thing that interests me on there are local weather reports, and between three local stations I tend to get better more accurate info online.

Edited by Andavari

• 4 weeks later...

I thought additionally about the matter, & decided if they have the rights to spy on people & claim it is to prevent intellectual property theft, I have the rights to do the following:

1) Implant video cams in Microsoft offices to watch everything they do & be sure they pay for all the content they are consuming.

2) Connect to worldwide systems to detect if anything they say, sing, or do is plagiarism or copyrighted.

3) Sue Microsoft for watching kids. If they truly watch all people, that is just sick to think they watch kids in their bedroom.

4) Sue Microsoft for not paying for the expensive TV show I am giving them in my house.

5) Sue Microsoft for violation of privacy. I have a right to be free.

My thoughts & time are worth at least as much as the intellectual property of MS.

I try to do no harm to anyone, but if I am wrongfully attacked, I believe in self defense.

Interesting article. Just hope they don't follow through with anything. :)