CCleaner NOT deleting all Internet temp files....

yellowduck

Hi,

I have been using ccleaner for a while and have noticed recently (for about 3 months and several versions) that when you run a clean, it does not clear all temp files, and you have to run the cleaner several times before you have no temp files left. I have unchecked the box for files over 24 hours old so it is nothing to do with that.

For example

Yesterday after several hours surfing I ran the cleaner and the summary after cleaning showed it had cleaned(after about 15 minutes using 7 overwrite) 6500 temp files. I immediately ran it again and after a dew minutes it showed it had deleted a further 1500 files. Then ran it again and a further 350 files were deleted. Then again and 115 files......in all I had to run it about 9 times before it showed as no more temp files had been deleted.......

This is not a one of.....this is happening all the time. I am running IE9 on windows 7 platform.....

Any thoughts?

IMO you don't need 7 overwrite.

CCleaner version?

Are you sure all of your browsers (IE9 and others if any) are closed properly?

Also Windows is creating logs/temps all the time (some may be in-use/locked while you try to clean them first time etc).

• Moderators

it sounds like you have some app writing a bunch of junk and locking it, do the same files keep popping up? Can you list some of them?

are they browser temp? Windows temp? A specific applications junk?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Thanks...

I am using the latest version which was released a few days ago.

The files it is not removing appear to be IE temp files. All browser widows are closed.

What I have noticed is that if I uninstall ccleaner from the PC and shut the PC down, then reinstall ccleaner, then it works for a couple of days and removes all the files (I can confirm this by running analyser first) then after a few days it reverts back to only deleting some of the files, and you have to run several times to delete all the temp files.

I have also tried just uninstalling and reinstalling, but this does not work.....you have to shutdown the PC before reinstalling for it to start to work as it should for a few days.

Any thoughts?

Yes...

Can you run CCleaner like normal, then:

- Right-click on the area showing the results of the clean, & click save to text file.

- Repeat for each time you have to clean, saving them as Log 1, Log 2, Log 3, etc.

- Upload the results here, so we can determine where the files are coming from & whether CCleaner is functioning properly.

Hi,

In window "Internet Options", tab "Advanced", down, there is a box "Empty Folder Temporart Internet Files when the browser is closed.'

Have you tried?

I have a comment. Internet files can be totally erased when the browser is closed because they are no longer used.

Temporary Internet Files can not be opened directly. It contains a desktop.ini and a folder IE.5 Content. The latter contains a index.dat and desktop.ini one and several folders with desktop.ini. When we run C Cleaner, we empty folder Content.IE5 except index.dat. (I just give it a try. The index.dat in Content.IE5 is not deleted, that in Hystory.IE5 either.).

To test, I chose to display hidden and system files. I made a copy of 2 folders in Local Settings and paste them in other folder. After, I opened this folder.

When we launch Internet Explorer again, other sub folders with desktop.ini are created in Content.IE5.

For cons, the elements in the Temp folders are not Internet files, so they can still be used and therefore inerasable.

We may know what program uses them with Unlocker 1 9 1. (Select, right click, unlocker, without erase)

Best Regards

R G