Defraggler access floppy drive when analyzing a HD drive

I have just upgraded to the new 2.11 version from 2.10 and have now noticed that whenever I switch drives in the GUI, my floppy drive is activated.

So, for instance, when I start Defraggler, it defaults to drive C in the GUI. Then when I click on say, Drive F (which is another normal Hard Drive), I hear my floppy drive getting activated for a moment on my system. This never happened in any of the previous builds.

Is there a way to get the program to stop trying to access drive A unless I click on it inside of the GUI? If not, can that be an option to prevent the program from attempting to access my floppy drive? Thanks.

Oh, I'm running Windows 7 x64 if that helps.

• Moderators

Try to turn off "removable Discs" in Defraggler settings

post-21882-0-77674100-1350791594_thumb.jpg

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Try to turn off "removable Discs" in Defraggler settings

post-21882-0-77674100-1350791594_thumb.jpg

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Not a fix for Defraggler, but you can disable Floppy Disk Controller in Device Manager, & it will turn off Floppy Disk drives.

Edit: I verify that this annoying floppy access occurs, even WITH removable drives unselected in Defraggler 2.11, if you have floppy drive enabled in Device Manager.

Not a fix for Defraggler, but you can disable Floppy Disk Controller in Device Manager, & it will turn off Floppy Disk drives.

Edit: I verify that this annoying floppy access occurs, even WITH removable drives unselected in Defraggler 2.11, if you have floppy drive enabled in Device Manager.

Or just downgrade back to v2.10 which I'm considering doing.

I agree that new Defraggler ver 2.11 is now causing my floppy drive (which is mostly broken... ) to make chunking or grinding read sounds every time that:

- Defraggler starts up,

- Defraggler disk focus is changed to a different HD (by my clicking on different HD),

- whenever I use Right-click to Check a folder from Explorer,

- whenever I use Right-Click to Defragment a file or folder from Explorer.

I NEVER click on the Floppy drive A itself (from Windows) - and actually, it does not even show in the Defraggler drive list.

I also have unchecked (removed) the reference to "Show Removeable drives" as suggested.

But making that change to not show them makes no difference -- Defraggler 2.11 still causes the floppy drive to grind.

And though I do not generally defragment my many removeable flash drives, I do find it useful and interesting to be able to see how space is being used on them. So I do not think I will like to have "Removeable Drives" permanently off.

My only 'solution' may be to open the computer and remove the data and power cables to the floppy drive... which may be OK for me since the drive rarely functions properly, but not so good for people who have working floppy drive(s).

[Windows XP Pro SP3, 2 GB RAM, P4 3.2GHz, Sony Vaio PCVRS530G minitower]

The Universe is intelligent and friendly 8-)

Thanks for the Disable Floppy via Hardware Device Manager suggestion.

This works for me as my floppy drive is actually mostly broken and rarely works (and so I rarely even try to put a floppy in there).

I just did the Disable Device and now Defraggler does not cause the floppy chunk/grind noise.

Of course, this is a solution for relatively few, as most folks with a working Floppy drive will not want this as a permananent workaround.

• Moderators

please note: while the rarely comment, the developers read all threads so they are most likely aware that you are experiencing these issues

Yes, a merge sounds like a good idea. Keep the same reported issue in one thread.

Sorry if I posted this to the wong thread -- I just did not want to start a new (third) thread.

And I am never exactly sure whether an issue should be in one of the two subforums, or the parent forum.

I confess, I am confused by the structure of three forum areas for Defraggler:

-- Defraggler Discussion (parent forum):

. . . . . . . . . . .| -- Defraggler Bug Reporting (sub forum)

. . . . . . . . . . .| -- Defraggler Suggestions (sub forum)

with all three having content.

Yes, clear that bugs should be in the Bug Reporting sub forum.

But I see suggestions in both Suggestions and Discussion (parent).

Perhaps the Discussion top level is supposed to be for non-bugs and no-suggestions...?

• Moderators

I'm merging now, you may lose your notifications so look in the bugs thread

If you disable the Floppy Disc Controller and then Windows dies,

How then can you boot your computer from a floppy disc ? :P

I don't.

All my Windows disks are bootable CD/DVD's. I boot from those, or I use a bootable USB flash drive.

My Windows 95/98/ME are merged onto a single bootable CD with floppy commands (fdisk/chkdsk/format, etc.).

My W2K, & XP are bootable CD, & bootable DVD for 7.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Just wanted to post another update to this. Version 2.13.670 was just released the other day and this bug was NOT fixed................... :( This was a major regression IMO since v2.10. At no time when selecting a HD inside the GUI should the Floppy Disk drive be triggered!

• Moderators

it would be nice to see this fixed eventually, but at worst, it's an audible annoyance, no more.

at least on my machine...

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.