Prefetch?

. . . v3.11.1550 not deleting the Prefetch folder . . .

CC doesn't delete it — the folder is vacuumed.

I now right-clicked ☐Old Prefetch data and CC cleaned mine. Recent prefetch contents (2 days) was left intact.

btw, your v3.11.1550 is 13 versions old (4 Oct 2011). The current version is 3.23.

• Moderators

because (non-old) prefetch is in use and thus locked, this would be my guess.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

As it doesn't really double a function of ccleaner, this app (from a very trusted developer) came across my desk today, it's pretty cool (and may be able to do what your asking and delete more recent prefetchs

http://www.nirsoft.n...fetch_view.html

Description

Each time that you run an application in your system, a Prefetch file which contains information about the files loaded by the application is created by Windows operating system. The information in the Prefetch file is used for optimizing the loading time of the application in the next time that you run it.

WinPrefetchView is a small utility that reads the Prefetch files stored in your system and display the information stored in them. By looking in these files, you can learn which files every application is using, and which files are loaded on Windows boot.

winprefetchview.gif

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

Windows stores files in the Prefetch folder to accelerate the subsequent use of the programs. We gain a little time, maybe a few milliseconds. But we filled the hard drive. You can avoid this by disabling the prefetcher.

On XP, the registry, going from:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management\PrefetchParameters]

"EnablePrefetcher" 3 ->0

Best regards

R G

I have deleted the entire contents of C:\Windows\Prefetch on both my XP & 7 systems at times, with no ill effect.

All Windows will do, is recreate the Readyboot trace files & prefetch items again when it needs them.

You could also use Include option to delete them all, or disable prefetch entirely via reg key.

If you delete your prefetch folder contents you may notice some slowdowns when loading applications. Windows has to rebuilt all files from scratch. On the other hand, one can live happily without prefetching or, at least, prefetching boot loader only.

Ya'gotta love the internet and its entourage of self-proclaimed experts who explain a topic with so much "authority" you have little reason to believe otherwise. Anyone think they know what prefetch does? Think again. Prefetch doesn't load any part of the program at startup/boot. Prefetch simply tells the o/s what pages to load (parts of the program) when you click on the icon.

It's like a family making a trip for the first time, they seemingly drag the entire house with them in a U-haul. They quickly find out they don't need all this stuff. And so the second trip is much more thought out in regards to what is bought along. Everything is now packed efficiently and quickly, bringing along only the necessities. And while at their destination, they can purchase any emergency or forgotten items as necessary.

Well, prefetch is the same thing, a prefetch file is the list of necessary items the family uses on the second trip, just the necessities. Anything else can be accessed from the disk as the user works through the program, loading special plugins, or modules.

I think we can all agree that photoshop is a heavy hitting program with lots of complexity going on.. Well I timed the loading of it. And then I did it again after manually deleting the prefetch files associated with it. There was little difference. If there was, it was in the sub-seconds time range and not perceptible.

This is an inaccurate description of prefetch --

http://www.windowsnetworking.com/articles_tutorials/gaining-speed-empty-prefetch-xp.html

http://askville.amazon.com/safe-empty-prefetch-folder-windows-temp-causing-harm-computer/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=6701418

This in an accurate description, and from reliable sources too --

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/06/one-more-time-do-not-clean-out-your-prefetch-folder/

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/cc302206.aspxfolder/

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2003/04/beware-of-bogus-xp-advice/

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/tip-of-the-day-dont-clean-out-the-prefetch-folder/

http://www.edbott.com/weblog/2005/04/debunking-yet-another-bogus-windows-tip/

I do not know, nor do I care about, what the exact criteria CCleaner uses for cleaning the prefetch folder. Here.. In one of my abused test systems, one on which I always seemingly incorrectly power down and install and un-install and re-install stuff on.. Yep, I kill the power in the middle of updates and disk writes too! On this system I had 3 orphaned or old/unused prefetch files out of about 100. And I believe these .PF files are related to system updates. CCleaner found them and wiped them. But it left the other ~100 files alone which is a good thing.

I can tell you that a typical PF folder is maybe 5-10 megs in size, tops. And back in the day of 100meg hard disks things like this would make a difference. Remember, a typical .PF file is less than 100K bytes in size, it is a map and list.

Listen peeps! If you're groping for ways to improve performance and doing all these tweaks because you need the speed, then it is best to get newer hardware. If you're tweaking just to tweak and get a psychological boost, well then, have it!

Very few tweaks to Windows result in speedups, and most adjustments do something that degrades the performance.

Hi, Keatah,

I tend to agree.

On the technical reality, you really just. Only there is the psychological reality. Many people are afraid of files they don't know well, afraid they be virus.

So many people compulsively or morbidly clean with C Cleaner.

What is important is the welfare of the computer user. Reality, we can forget it.

Best regards

R G

• Moderators

Very few tweaks to Windows result in speedups, and most adjustments do something that degrades the performance.

Indeed. And many "tweaks" which I always quote anymore "may have some positive benefit" when listed on a site however they will rarely if ever list the negatives.

A prefetch file serves the same purpose as a temporary internet file caches do. Speed up load times.

It could be argued that leaving your temporary caches will speed up access to the internet on your HDD/SSD, since they pull the files locally from your drive.

But the perceived difference is hardly noticeable. For that reason, I rather just call the Prefetch folder trash, & have the option to delete the entire contents.

CCleaner is made to clean trash, not speed up the computer. -_-

Back in the late 90's and early 2000's, around the dot-com boom - many budding websites were more than happy to offer totally unqualified advice and "information" in the form of tweaks and promises to speed-up your PC. Furthermore, with the dawning of the commercial internet, everybody including their unborn kids and deceased relatives had online access. All of this made an environment ripe for spreading mis-information. And "elite" pc-tuning sites were no exception.

Techies would go around, and make all these changes to their systems and not actually see an improvement. Overclockers were the worst offenders. But the perceived psychological benefit was very real. And sometimes they'd try so hard they'd begin to believe and see a faster system when isn't any change. And this phenomenon still exists today.

And then there's the folks that run two anti-virus programs. Ughh.. After one particularly tedious repair I had a dream one time, a long time ago, about running 2 AV programs on the same system. They started fighting each other, one would detect a virus and quarantine it, and then the 2nd one would detect errant code in the 1st one's quarantine bin. And then the first one would get upset that the second one tried deleting part of the first one because it was processing errant code. Soon enough the system was screaming at itself and this back'n'forth battle grew to enormous proportions and my computer exploded. Henceforth it is not wise to run 2 AV programs simultaneously.

Much of the advice I offer regarding performance enhancements is cross-referenced against the mfg. and their reasoning and best practices. Let me state for the record that you don't really need to be fiddling and messing with a modern system except in certain cases where there is clearly a problem. And your adjustment or tweak should have a measurable and perceivable performance gain or problem-solving action. Otherwise you're just changing something to change it. And probably destabilizing the system.

But, hey, if you feel the need to delete part of the operating system or think you can make it better by forcing it behave in XYZ manner then definitely go ahead. Tell me about it so that I may include it in my personal recommendations, perhaps write a utility based around it, and cut you a bit of the profits! On the flipside, expect me to complain and call your idea a cloud of blown smoke if it doesn't do anything. Expect worse if it breaks something!

Hi, Super Fast

I like: "CCleaner is made to clean trash, not speed up the computer."

To delete folders trash, I have a solution. You choose to put the parameters c cleaner in the ccleaner. ini you and edit it.

For example, we can choose:

Include1=PATH|C:\WINDOWS\Installer\|*.*

Include2=PATH|C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\|*.*

Include3=PATH|C:\WINDOWS\Prefetch\|*.*

Include4=PATHC:\WINDOWS\|system32\dllcache\|*.*

Include5=PATH|\|*.*

Include6=PATH|\|*.*

Include7=PATH|\|*.*

Include8=PATH|\|*.*

Include9=PATH|\|*.*

Include10=PATH|\|*.*

Warning, must respect the Patch-File order and alphabetically order in the following.

You can also edit from the interface of C Cleaner: (Options-Include)

Best Regards

R G

Hi, Keatah,

I feel the need to delete part of the operating system because I know a lot of files are totally unnecessary and merely fill the hard disk. For example, there are records installers, uninstallers and others. It is gigabytes.

However, before delete the folder trash mentioned in my previous message, we must think about whether you won't need.

Best regards.

R G

Careful with the "Include1=PATH|C:\WINDOWS\Installer\|*.*" line, this affects the ability to uninstall and reinstall some applications, most notably on-demand feature installation.

Hi,

It's possible there is this consistency checking utility. But, I don't see it work.

This is not a problem for me because I have two operating systems on the same hard disk. In the event of a system crash, I start with the second system and I make a copy and paste four saved folders of system updated with drivers and basic programs.

Best regards

R G