CCleaner 4 Suggestion

Super Fast

I have 5 suggestions for CCleaner 4:

___

1) Web browser grouping

It's hard to find all the browsers having to switch tabs. Especially as the list grows longer, whether via WinApp2.ini or otherwise. Browser only tab, please!!!

_____

2) Collapsible sections.

Windows has collapsible folders, why not collapsible sections in CCleaner? On right-click of Firefox, for example, have Collapse/Expand as options. (Neater)

_____

3) Customizable sections (Example: Ability to drag whole Firefox category into a different spot to alphabetize things?)

Right-click/sort by name, or drag & drop (much like Firefox has draggable tabs). Ability to hide or show items you do or do not use a lot.

_____

4) Hosts file cleaning.

Hosts file gets tons of entries sometimes, whether intentional or not. Please add ability to clean, or even reset Hosts file to default!

_____

5) No Metro please!

Metro is ugly. It will cause CCleaner to kick the bucket, :) If you unpretty it, add skins, please!!! And allow users to use older skin by default.

_____

Thank you, CCleaner Gods!!!

* Please, please, please!!! If you use Metro, just add it as a skin, & let the default skin your using now be default so it won't bloat CCleaner... :)

enhanced / reduced cleanse mode with simple action

implemented by a command line argument similar to /auto, or by a single checkbox in the gui.

e.g. these are items i normally refrain from cleaning in my reduced mode

windows - thumbnailcache 4 mbyte

windows - iconcache* 5 mbyte

windows - cached wpf fonts* 17 mbyte

windows - microsoft.net cache* 238 mbyte

i have not yet zapped the .net cache,

but i know all the other caches are normally rebuilt almost as soon as they have been cleaned.

if i clean a cache item and it is rebuilt it will occupy a different region of the partition,

and when i create a differential backup of the image this cache occupies space on the backup file,

even though it only has the same data but with a new time-stamp.

by refraining from needless cleaning my differential backups are smaller.

an additional benefit of avoiding a "needless" delete and re-write is :-

for an hdd

windows no longers waits whilst rebuilding such caches etc.;

for an ssd

it does not have its life degraded by "needless" program-erase cycles of the affected portions of flash.

• Moderators

i typed this in all caps, but haters gon' hate and make it lowercase.

There's a forum bug/glitch at the moment not allowing regular members to use any capitalization (doesn't seem to effect the admins/mods for some odd reason). It was reported to the admin by another mod earlier.

i would like to see a "hide this entry" setting, where instead of just leaving it unchecked, i could also hide the selection so it wouldn't show up at all. of course, there would need to be a "restore entry" setting as well...........it would make for a cleaner interface.

i would like to see a "hide this entry" setting, where instead of just leaving it unchecked, i could also hide the selection so it wouldn't show up at all. of course, there would need to be a "restore entry" setting as well...........it would make for a cleaner interface.

That would be great to have, as well.

I also like the use of skins or at least color themes. I've seen some other utility apps have themes.

Also, maybe a scheduler menu should be avialble on CCleaner's interface. Not everyone knows how to use the Task Scheduler.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I also like the use of skins or at least color themes. I've seen some other utility apps have themes.

Also, maybe a scheduler menu should be avialble on CCleaner's interface. Not everyone knows how to use the Task Scheduler.

How about a color slider with controls for Hue/Saturation/Brightness?

Adding a scheduler (much like the one in Defraggler) is a great idea...

Some would argue it adds bloat to a program that doesn't need a fancy UI. I know the sentiment has been expressed before.

A color slider would be easier to implement, I would suppose. And less bloat than a skin.

Although, I DEFINITELY would want a skin if they implement Metro!! Ugh!!! :)

• Moderators

Some would argue it adds bloat to a program that doesn't need a fancy UI. I know the sentiment has been expressed before.

I for one would argue this

but, also this

Although, I DEFINITELY would want a skin if they implement Metro!! Ugh!!!

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

KISS principle is my preference.

Look what happended to Office 2007/2010 and that bloody ribbon. Another example is AVG 2013, what was wrong with the previous layout/design ?.

Whatever happened to if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

off topic: i've read that MS have stopped calling it Metro now due to some legal infringment with some other trademarked name. (upon reflection maybe that was what Winapp was referring to)

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 2 months later...

Maybe cleaning the most opened document on Microsoft Office 2013?

It will be nice if Ccleaner has the option to customizing appearance (color themes, styled button, animation when cleaning), isn it?

Hope it will be real :)

• Moderators

Maybe cleaning the most opened document on Microsoft Office 2013?

ccleaner 3.26 already does this

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 1 month later...

I would really like to see the Tools -> System Restore screen display the size of each restore point.

When I am running low on disk space, I use CCleaner and Tree Size Free to determine which files to delete or move. CCleaner gives me the restore point information but not the size. Tree Size Free gives me the size but not the information.

If I had the size of each restore point, I could decide whether deleting some would give me a decent amount of space or, if not, I could choose another strategy for freeing up space.

post-30436-0-33937300-1362066030_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

if your remaining drive space is that low that you have to decide which restore point to delete (instead of just deleteing them all) then you really need another drive in your PC.

you can then change the location of your Doc, Pic, Vid or Music folders to the new drive.

you can pick up 500gig units for aorund $55AUD.

no brainer in my books and then you are done with nit picking which files have to go each time the 'low space' warning pops up.

plus your machine will run alot better.

Also a "Remove skin" option inside ccleaner would help those who want to load and make ccleaner just a tad bit faster! And like another user suggested, remove temp files from [editable time]. Also, add more Windows Log files to the options

I swear CCleaner + Winapp2.ini = HEAVEN!

if your remaining drive space is that low that you have to decide which restore point to delete (instead of just deleteing them all)

Why do you think I'm making my suggestion...so I can pick and choose which -- not all -- restore point(s) to delete.

I already have two 1.5TB external drives and my laptop runs perfectly fine with its limited internal disk space. I do a lot of photo editing and try to keep as many photos immediately available as possible. It is when I load and edit multiples-of-gigabytes of new photos that I'd like to decide if it is time to move some offline onto said external drives or whether to delete an old restore point that I know I won't need to revert to.

Everyone has their own approach to things, mta.

Why do you think I'm making my suggestion...so I can pick and choose which -- not all -- restore point(s) to delete.

I already have two 1.5TB external drives and my laptop runs perfectly fine with its limited internal disk space. I do a lot of photo editing and try to keep as many photos immediately available as possible. It is when I load and edit multiples-of-gigabytes of new photos that I'd like to decide if it is time to move some offline onto said external drives or whether to delete an old restore point that I know I won't need to revert to.

Why do you need CCleaner to tell you what your Free TreeSize can ALREADY tell you ?

It can not only show me the Size of System Volume Information but also the individual size of every restore point folder which it holds.

and further more it can OPEN Windows Explorer to show the individual files and folders that are held there-in

• Moderators

you couldn't be more right !

no argument there.

• 2 weeks later...

Why do you need CCleaner to tell you what your Free TreeSize can ALREADY tell you ?

It can not only show me the Size of System Volume Information but also the individual size of every restore point folder which it holds.

and further more it can OPEN Windows Explorer to show the individual files and folders that are held there-in

Did you bother to read my initial post, Alan_B? Here's the pertinent portion (with my emphasis added):

When I am running low on disk space, I use CCleaner and Tree Size Free to determine which files to delete or move. CCleaner gives me the restore point information but not the size. Tree Size Free gives me the size but not the information.