Help Me Please

krit86lr

Awesome! Glad to hear it; although I'm sorry you're stuck with WinME. :(

Try not to faint when you have to pay for WinXP; I just built a new PC for a friend, and when I got WinXP Home for her at Staples, it cost $200! Ouch. But it sure beats ME!

Dude, you got ripped off. I see that you're from Illinois. I'm in Missouri. I go to University of Missouri (UMSL). In the student bookstore it's $100 total for everything for Windows XP.

I would like to point this out to everyone. University bookstores have great discount prices for everything. They don't care if you're a student or not. They don't even check. FYI.

;)

K

P.S. I am so sad with ME, BUT "MY COMPUTER IS WORKING"!!! Happy Dance! Good Times!

The upgrade version allows either an upgrade or a clean install. For the latter you have to insert the old OS CD at one point to prove you qualify. If you opt for the clean install, you can format to NTFS.

I just did one last week.

Thank you. Did you come across any problems/glitches that you didn't forsee?

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

Dude, you got ripped off. I see that you're from Illinois. I'm in Missouri. I go to University of Missouri (UMSL). In the student bookstore it's $100 total for everything for Windows XP.

$100 for the full version? That's a good deal. How much for XP Pro? Here in Illinois, it's close to $300! That's why I stuck with Home for my friend's computer. She wouldn't use Pro to its potential anyway.

Save a tree, eat a beaver.

Save a tree, wipe with an owl.

Every time a bell rings, a thread gets hijacked!

ding, ding!

Give Andavari lots of money and maybe even consider getting K a DVD-RW drive.

If it's not Scottish, IT'S CRAP!!!

$100 for the full version? That's a good deal. How much for XP Pro? Here in Illinois, it's close to $300! That's why I stuck with Home for my friend's computer. She wouldn't use Pro to its potential anyway.

I'll let you know on Friday. I'll be on campus that day. You may even be able to look on the website (www.umsl.edu).

B)

K

Once you're on UMSL's website do a search for 'bookstore'. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't.

No (except for booting up twice before remembering to change the BIOS to move the CD up the boot sequence ... D'oh!).

:lol: Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.

K

Windows Pro Media 8.1 x64  |  8GB Ram  |  500G HDD 7200 RPM  |  All  that I know about my graphics is that it's Intel  :)

I thought you said Windows XP Home was only $100. I just went on your website, and they have it listed for $209.95. That's more than I paid!

However, they do have the WinXP Pro Upgrade for $99.95, which is pretty good. That is about what you'd pay for the WinXP Home Upgrade in my hood.

Another good buy I saw was Photoshop CS2 for $299; it's closer to $600 here.

ding, ding!

I thought you said Windows XP Home was only $100. I just went on your website, and they have it listed for $209.95. That's more than I paid!

However, they do have the WinXP Pro Upgrade for $99.95, which is pretty good. That is about what you'd pay for the WinXP Home Upgrade in my hood.

Another good buy I saw was Photoshop CS2 for $299; it's closer to $600 here.

Oh, I didn't mean to say XP Home. I thought that I said XP. I'm not familiar with Home. I've only used Professional SP2. For the most part software is 50% discounted from retail prices.

It's odd that you saw Home listed for $209.95. A Tech Support guy from UMSL told me that it would be a total of $100.00.

Sorry. :(

K

Oh, I didn't mean to say XP Home. I thought that I said XP. I'm not familiar with Home. I've only used Professional SP2. For the most part software is 50% discounted from retail prices.

I don't think you did say Home. But the two retail versions of Windows are Home and Professional, Home being the cheaper and less feature-full version of the two. I just assumed it was Home, because that would be the only one which is close in price to what you wrote. In my previous post, I included a link to the site with the listed prices, including the one I saw for WinXP Home.

But you are right, there is a lot of discounted software on that site. I usually stick with freeware and open source, but to each their pwn.

ding, ding!

I don't think you did say Home. But the two retail versions of Windows are Home and Professional, Home being the cheaper and less feature-full version of the two. I just assumed it was Home, because that would be the only one which is close in price to what you wrote. In my previous post, I included a link to the site with the listed prices, including the one I saw for WinXP Home.

But you are right, there is a lot of discounted software on that site. I usually stick with freeware and open source, but to each their pwn.

You were correct XP Home $209. I did get the XP Professional SP2 & XP Professional x64 Edition for a total of $63. A week with ME was a week too long. Unfortunately I can't install Professional x64 Edition, not sure why.

I'm a fan of freeware myself.

:) K

Unfortunately I can't install Professional x64 Edition, not sure why.

Do you have a computer with a 64 bit processor, such as an AMD Athlon 64? The x64 is in reference to 64 bits, and any computer with a 32 proc will not run the 64 bit version of Windows.

Also, beware that if you do end up using XP Pro 64 Bit Edition, your drivers and 64 bit app choices are fairly limited right now. More 64 bit software and drivers come out every day, but compatibility is still no where near what it is for someone using a 32 bit OS.

I should note, however, that most of your old 32 bit apps should work on WinXP 64. Some might not, but the compatibility with old apps is supposed to be fairly decent, so I wouldn't worry about that anyway.

ding, ding!

Do you have a computer with a 64 bit processor, such as an AMD Athlon 64? The x64 is in reference to 64 bits, and any computer with a 32 proc will not run the 64 bit version of Windows.

Also, beware that if you do end up using XP Pro 64 Bit Edition, your drivers and 64 bit app choices are fairly limited right now. More 64 bit software and drivers come out every day, but compatibility is still no where near what it is for someone using a 32 bit OS.

I should note, however, that most of your old 32 bit apps should work on WinXP 64. Some might not, but the compatibility with old apps is supposed to be fairly decent, so I wouldn't worry about that anyway.

I have a fairly old computer with a 32-bit processor. According to Microsoft's website I need a 64-bit platform that required a specific driver that I (of course) do not have. I won't be doing any drastic changes soon because school just started. Although, my long term plan is to figure out how to change my processor. Is that even possible?

FROM HERE ON OUT I WILL BACK UP ON A REGULAR BASIS!!! :lol:

K

Although, my long term plan is to figure out how to change my processor. Is that even possible?

It certainly is, but you will also have to change your motherboard, so it won't be very cheap. If I was you, for now I would stick with just WinXP Pro.

But, back to the proc and mobo, you need a mobo that supports 64 bit processors. I would suggest getting a board that supports AMD processors, since you can't put an Intel processor in an AMD motherboard, and visa versa; the motherboard you get determines the processor you get.

The reason I like AMDs is because they run cooler than Intels and get more accomplished per cycle (Hertz). Not to mention they are usually cheaper to buy, although that is by no means the main reason I like them.

If you know any hardware gurus at your college, you may want to tell them your dilemma and see if they can find you a reasonably priced mobo and proc and install it for you. Expect to spend around $250-300. I know, not what you wanted to hear!

ding, ding!