Is it safe to defrag while downloading ?

Sourc7

Defragging and downloading at the same time shouldn't cause any problem. Of course, the file being downloaded won't get defragged. And that's not a big deal.

How did you discover the bad sector? What disk drive? Who makes it? What size? What O/S? What sector number? What files are associated with that sector? What are the smart values that are out of tolerance (if any)? These are all questions that need to be answered in order to recommend a program and have a successful outcome. And that's if you decide to repair it in the first place.

So the download is not interrupted / corrupted ? :ph34r:

Windows is detected the bad sector and defraggler detected too , Disk Drive E ( Hardisk) , Hmm ATA MODEL , 25,7 GB ( PARTITIONED ) , Piriform Show me in every sector is BadClusBad$ , All of my files in Drive E , I dont know smart value :o ,

Thanks for reply my answer Keatah :rolleyes:

Are you really sure that these errors were absent immediately before the simultaneous Defrag and download,

and were present immediately afterwards ?

Are you now saying that on Drive E:\ EVERY file is destroyed and there are no good sectors ?

If so it is more than likely that the Disk has crashed badly - which is unlikely to be caused by the use of software.

Were you defragging and downloading to drive E:\ at the same time ?

I would expect simultaneous Defrag and download to be error free If Windows worked properly - but that is not experience of Windows.

Windows fails to work properly and does suffer errors,

and this is especially true if E:\ was connected via USB.

Running Windows XP I was using a *.BAT file that used REG.EXE to inspect registry keys and pipe the status of each to a text file.

I spotted an anomaly.

With a new script I inspected the same key 10000 times, and only about 9990 responses were captured.

I changed the destination of the output text file to a partition on the inner diameter of the disc instead of the outer.

The error rate increased from 0.1 % to 10 %

I disabled the Windows caching of disc transactions and the errors fell to zero.

Windows XP cannot handle the disc cache properly.

Unfortunately Windows took 3 times as long to boot up with the cache disabled.

For all I know Windows 7 could have the same cache problem.

N.B.. The special feature that gave XP grief was that REG.EXE did not give a solitary output per transaction.

Most DOS commands give either a single message via STDOUT or alternatively via STDERR,

and capturing both message to the output text file gives a single message.

I was interested in a Registry key that include several subkeys, one of which was protected against reading,

hence REG.EXE used STDOUT to provide status of what it could see, and STDERR to report that it could not access the protected subkey,

and these two simultaneous messages sometimes clashed in the cache.

P.S.

I never do serious maintenance, such as defragging or wiping free space or resizing a partition,

unless I am happy to lose the files and restore from a backup.

I have worked with computers far too long to trust them.

Hi Alan.B my files is safe but all sector is affected by bad sector

I'm download it on disk C: And not in the Disk E , Disk E is for data , but i'm want format that disk for delete the bad sector

is bad sector can deleted by formated ? or i'm must change hardisk ?

Now Disk E is is soo slow because of the bad sector

Btw is defragging can increase game performance ? ^_^

Thank you :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have no gaming experience and cannot advise on any defrag benefit.

I think CHKDISK has the ability to fix bad sectors without destroying all the files.

I only posted because I saw the need to clarify your situation.

If I have a problem I can always restore from a backup image.

Your situation is outside my experience so will now leave it to others to advise you.

Btw is defragging can increase game performance ? ^_^

Not really, some load times (new areas/maps) might load faster, but you'd probably see no difference.

If you want faster loading times, you could replace your HDD with SSD, which doesn't need defragging.

What they said.. Defragging might shorten the load time by second or two. But that's about it.

Due to the amount of details involved, the time needed to gather them, education of the end-user, in addition to the overall complexity of modern filing systems and disk drive operational theory; I'm tending to stop giving direct 1-2-3 do-this advice.

But yes, again to answer the original poster's questions directly:

1- Yes it is safe to download while defragging. All the "magic management" happens in the filing system of the O/S, the registry is not involved here. If this downloading and defragging is corrupting anything, then you have a much more serious problem with Windows or your system's main RAM.

2- It is possible to "fix" a bad sector on a disk. Some methods are destructive, some are not. In any case, it is important to have backups.

A bad sector can be fixed by doing several things.

a- Secure Erase and reformatting the disk

b- Check Disk with "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

c- HDD regenerator / spinrite

d- Using a professional-grade utility, edit the G-list. And then verify the entire surface.

e- "low level" formatting, or zeroing the disk with .mfg. utility

f- whatever google says..

Of course, if the wrong tool or technique is applied in the wrong situation you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

In your case, if you are going to wipe the drive. Then you can format it and zero it and surface verify with the manufacturer's maintenance utility. If that does not work, then you can try HDD regenerator on the bad sector and repeat the zeroing process. A lot of this works because these actions trigger the internal disk ECC routines.

You might even get lucky with a standard windows format (the long version)!

All this depends on if it's a hard or soft damaged sector.

I have no gaming experience and cannot advise on any defrag benefit.

I think CHKDISK has the ability to fix bad sectors without destroying all the files.

I only posted because I saw the need to clarify your situation.

If I have a problem I can always restore from a backup image.

Your situation is outside my experience so will now leave it to others to advise you.

I will try soon the CHKDISK Solution :)

Not really, some load times (new areas/maps) might load faster, but you'd probably see no difference.

If you want faster loading times, you could replace your HDD with SSD, which doesn't need defragging.

Yup i see the small diffrence from loading e.x texture , load times

Defragging will have an effect on overall load time of the game, but it wont run any more smoothly (this requires a better gpu or reduced graphic settings)

Yup you true defragging can fasting load times but not the frame per second

What they said.. Defragging might shorten the load time by second or two. But that's about it.

Due to the amount of details involved, the time needed to gather them, education of the end-user, in addition to the overall complexity of modern filing systems and disk drive operational theory; I'm tending to stop giving direct 1-2-3 do-this advice.

But yes, again to answer the original poster's questions directly:

1- Yes it is safe to download while defragging. All the "magic management" happens in the filing system of the O/S, the registry is not involved here. If this downloading and defragging is corrupting anything, then you have a much more serious problem with Windows or your system's main RAM.

2- It is possible to "fix" a bad sector on a disk. Some methods are destructive, some are not. In any case, it is important to have backups.

A bad sector can be fixed by doing several things.

a- Secure Erase and reformatting the disk

b- Check Disk with "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors

c- HDD regenerator / spinrite

d- Using a professional-grade utility, edit the G-list. And then verify the entire surface.

e- "low level" formatting, or zeroing the disk with .mfg. utility

f- whatever google says..

Of course, if the wrong tool or technique is applied in the wrong situation you can find yourself in a world of hurt.

In your case, if you are going to wipe the drive. Then you can format it and zero it and surface verify with the manufacturer's maintenance utility. If that does not work, then you can try HDD regenerator on the bad sector and repeat the zeroing process. A lot of this works because these actions trigger the internal disk ECC routines.

You might even get lucky with a standard windows format (the long version)!

All this depends on if it's a hard or soft damaged sector.

1. Got it :D

2.My friends say using HDD regenator can delete the bad sector :ph34r:

But , Thanks for the answer from you

• Moderators

also consider buying a new drive and be done with it.

with mechanical drives being so cheap and even SSD's recently dropping in price, if you are considering trying to recover a bad sector, why risk using an unreliable drive when you can have a lot more trust in a new one.

i don't see the sense in trusting your data to a drive that has already let you down once.

sure, the above suggestions should find, recover or at least lock out the bad sector, and if you're happy to then continue using the drive, great. but make sure you do regular backups, even if it is until you get some faith back from using the drive.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.