I just got spam via the email address I gave this forum

Suman

There's another Operation Jubilee mail in my spamtrap, dated Friday (yesterday) and again addressed to piriform.mail@mydomain. For the benefit of the hard-of-thinking 'mydomain' is once again a placeholder.

This time it's the Rules of Engagement one and again all the 'content' is in the subject header.

Yes, the same for me.

I also just got spam email via the email address I gave this forum in May 2009. The sender was also "operation jubilee"

Dated 13 Oct 2012, Return-Path is a username at an Ukrainian domain ua

Subject: Operation Jubilee - Rules of Engagement.

@qsdewa

At first the email appears to be empty,

but when I view the source one can see a political message about Greece and more.

I create for every separate forum / logins a separate emailadress / alias in my domain which is never used elsewhere.

I *never* posted this email address on the forums in a post.

I've never used it to send an email.

(In general, because of my cautious behaviour I almost never receive spam)

I do not believe someone hacked my email / webhosting provider, because more customers would have been hurt, and I would have heard of this.

@suman

@everthewatcher

If that were the case I also would be getting loads of spam to <email addresses > at my domain,

but I don't.

But I did get the same spam as you sent to the unique address used just once to sign up to this forum in May 2009.

The reason is simple - somewhere the data has been leaked, hacked or sold.

What do the moderators have to say?

Still no answers, like 'we'll look in to it' 'you're completely right' or 'we used the money to buy a new server :D '

BTW: I'm posting this with a new profilename (and a very new fresh email address ), since I'm not sure whether the people that have my former profilename also have my password :(

When I view my 'old profile' using this new profile I cannot see the email adress I used with the old profile.

As far as I know, the email address is/was not shown when I posted twice in the past using the old profile.

I also had this "operation jubilee" email yesterday, I don't think it's necessarily specific to this forum though (I wouldn't even have noticed it as any different to any other spam if I'd not just read this thread beforehand)

@shane

194.168.4.100 & 194.168.8.10 - both Virgin Media defaults.

FWIW I've used dozens of <unique_identifier>.mail@mydomain mail addresses and only three - two* from a long time ago and now piriform.mail@mydomain - have got into the hands of spammers.

* One company went bust and I'm guessing the database was sold, and the other, legit and still trading, processed its data in India where it was leaked.

@Andavari

It's not the spam itself, it's the fact that a unique email address used once to register for this formum has fallen into the hands of a spammer.

Or was 'guessed' by a bot (there's no such thing as a unique address, any address is guessable). If you google it you will find many many people have got this email, so on a forum with nearly fifty thousand members it's simply representative of the internet at large that some members here will get this spam.

What DNS provider are you using?

OpenDNS here

@ JDPower

The point is it's being sent to unique addresses used only once to sign up to this forum. And in my case nowhere else.

It's now being marked as spam so it's probably sitting in a lot more people's spamtraps than have posted here.

Is it too late to add a "me too"?

I sent a pm message before noticing this thread.

operationjubilee, a quite malformed message (it can't be correctly parsed by the mail client).

I used a particularly crafted email address only here.

Or was 'guessed' by a bot (there's no such thing as a unique address, any address is guessable). If you google it you will find many many people have got this email, so on a forum with nearly fifty thousand members it's simply representative of the internet at large that some members here will get this spam.

Exactly this. As I said earlier, I seriously doubt there is anything fishy occurring on the Piriform forums.

What I find more suspicious than these emails is a sudden influx of users (most of whom registered at around the same time) landing on this thread at posting for the first time.

I'm Shane.

• Moderators

@TheWebAtom

It's not anything to do with new users posting about it. One of the admins even got the spam email, and two of us long time mods are known to have got it.

It's possibly just some junk infesting the Internet as a whole with the only coincidence being many members of the forum getting it and thinking Piriform is up to something.

What I find more suspicious than these emails is a sudden influx of users (most of whom registered at around the same time) landing on this thread at posting for the first time.

Which just proves the point - you can see a conspiracy in anything if you look hard enough ;)

• 1 month later...

I've just received a fairly twisted spam on a disposable address that I set up solely for this forum.

To all those suggesting that this is the result of random email generation I don't think you've really thought it through. It is possible, but it is excruciatingly unlikely given that these are not hotmail addresses or similar.

I think the earlier point that the original servers may have been insecurely recycled might explain both the leak and the fact that those affected seem to be of certain forum age.

You registered here nearly 2 years ago.

Since then this forum has moved from one service provider to another.

I cannot help wondering if the previous service provider has disposed of recently redundant servers without first securely erasing their contents.

All I ever get are emails from some nice lawyer in Nigeria who wants to send me 750,000 pounds. Pounds of what, he doesn't say.

Seriously, though, i use yahoo mail just cause that's how I started, too lazy to change, and yes, it is overrun with ads and spam. But it always has been. I had not thought of setting up an email for each forum. Thanks for that.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.