Undesirable Feature when desktop.ini included

mta

• Moderators

Not so much a bug, the program doesn't abort or anything that nasty.

If I include desktop.ini in Custom Files and Folders it happily goes and finds them all.

But if you then go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, the entries for Computer and Defrag have been corrupted. They still work, but the names have changed.

Very weird.

I'm just wondering what else may have happened.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• Moderators

I'm sure you are right and in fact I have now removed the desktop.ini entry from the ccleaner.ini file as I can't be bothered working out what CC is doing wrong.

I don't mean to disrespect CC but i've been removing these files with other software for years without this side effect listed above so it must be some internal handling of this file by CC that is having this effect.

I know desktop.ini gets recreated and all that, but in essence, they are just mere INI files. Their presence tells Windows how folders are displayed, their lack of existance in no way adversly effects Windows so it's scary when Start menu entries get corrutped from running CC with this entry listed in ccleaner.ini.

But, all water under the bridge, as I started with, it was more an undesirable 'feature' rather than a bug. I merely listed it here to a) maybe let the programmers know and B) alert other users about including desktop.ini as it seems liekly others may try to include it.

Sorry, but you are wrong. Starting with Windows Vista the "desktop.ini" files also include language references [LocalizedFileNames]. The new recreated files don't include those language references anymore. That's why some of the start menu entries changed their names. CC doing nothing wrong.

• Moderators

OK, great, a logical explaination at last to satisfy my curiousity.

I wasn't aware of MS changing them with Vista.