What do you recommend?

grabacontroller

Hello, I'm using a firewall that came with my router, AVG Free Edition, and other anti-spyware applications that aren't rogue products. Everything is fine at this moment. I was wondering is it best to run Zone Alarm and a firewall that came with my router or just a firewall that came with my router. Do they both offer the same protection or should I run Zone Alarm Free just in case?

IPB Image

A router firewall is about as good as it get's without duplicating software. I have found they fight with each other more than protect. :(

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

If I think about it, I did run Zone Alarm Free with my router firewall but the numbers stopped going up after a while. Is that supposed to happen or is that the problem that I'm experiencing by having two firewalls?

IPB Image

• Moderators

I used to run ZA along with my linksys router. I have decided to just go with the router's firewall now. I would say at least turn on the windows firewall just incase.(but I never had issues using ZA and the router.)

Don't know for sure, but I suspect that is true. Look at the specs, and if they do almost the same thing, there is no advantage to duplicate software, and a host of conflict possibilities.

If it isn't broke, tweak it.

I used to run ZA along with my linksys router. I have decided to just go with the router's firewall now. I would say at least turn on the windows firewall just incase.(but I never had issues using ZA and the router.)

26008[/snapback]

It seems like I was protected pretty well though but the problem is that the computer starts up slower. So, Zone Alarm is probaly not needed and it probaly takes more resources out of the computer.

IPB Image

• Moderators
It seems like I was protected pretty well though but the problem is that the computer starts up slower. So, Zone Alarm is probaly not needed and it probaly takes more resources out of the computer.

26010[/snapback]

Yeah, I agree with you. Just make sure your router is configured right.

You can test it here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

Yeah, I agree with you. Just make sure your router is configured right.

You can test it here:

https://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

26011[/snapback]

Good thing you gave me the link because it said that my firewall was penetrated. :)

IPB Image

• Moderators

Is the GRC site's 'All Service Ports' test definitive, or should one run other tests from Gibson's site or from another site to be thorough?

The GRC.com tests are a quick test for testing some of the most common ports. You can use other services online, but note they are not all free - some have a hefty price and there's no trial period. I personally only use the GRC.com test now because many of the ports it tests are the ones most commonly open and subject to being exploited.

• Moderators

rridgely,

Is the GRC site's 'All Service Ports' test definitive, or should one run other tests from Gibson's site or from another site to be thorough?

Not sure I got your question but run all the tests. They all scan for a little different stuff.

I use what's in my sig. *No need to tell as it's all right there in front of you guys :rolleyes:*

wow were very impressed. :rolleyes:

Read before you post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

cool the new forum software blocks against multiposts.

Software firewall might sink some performance, but seems the built-in Windows firewall doesnt sink any thing that I notice.

It up to you, you can use addiotional firewall to the router firewall if you are worried about security.

A litlte like using two condoms. ;)

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png