Registry clean list keeps reappearing

n4dou

Running Win XP Pro SP2. When I attempt to clean the registry (Fix Selected Issues) CCleaner cleans OK, but when I close and reopen the program and run the scan all of those registry lines will show up again. Any help would be appreciated. I am a newbie and have searched the forum, but haven't found any answers. Thanks :blink:

Scan for issues - and for each thing that comes up navigate to it with regedit (you can see where to go under "Registry Key" next to each issues CCleaner finds), right-click the key you find, go to Permissions, click add, type Administrators and make sure you have full control (tick each think next to it under allow), then right-click and hit delete, should do the job....

(regedit: Start - Run - type regedit - O.K)

Scan for issues - and for each thing that comes up navigate to it with regedit (you can see where to go under "Registry Key" next to each issues CCleaner finds), right-click the key you find, go to Permissions, click add, type Administrators and make sure you have full control (tick each think next to it under allow), then right-click and hit delete, should do the job....

25946[/snapback]

Thanks for the help Predator. I was able delete two of the issues using your suggestion. However, I not being allowed to make any changes on the rest. I can't view the premissions but I can change them, but I am still denied access. All of the rest are unused file extensions. I am in Administrator mode and not my User Profile. What am I missing.

Hmm, it is strange that you cannot view the Permissions, you should be able to for everything.

To access Safe Mode (for Windows XP), go to Start - Run - type "msconfig" (without the quotes) - BOOT.INI - tick /SAFEBOOT - Hit Apply then O.K - Press the Restart button. Repeat the above but untick the /SAFEBOOT box to get out of safe mode.

If you have another type of Windows, refer to this page to see how to restart into safe mode; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...001052409420406

If you have still have problems, report back here. I would recommend rather than signing in as Administrator, try it also with your normal account (just make sure it has the same privileges as Administrator - see User Accounts under Control Panel).

Hmm, it is strange that you cannot view the Permissions, you should be able to for everything.

To access Safe Mode (for Windows XP), go to Start - Run - type "msconfig" (without the quotes) - BOOT.INI - tick /SAFEBOOT - Hit Apply then O.K - Press the Restart button. Repeat the above but untick the /SAFEBOOT box to get out of safe mode.

If you have another type of Windows, refer to this page to see how to restart into safe mode; http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgen...001052409420406

If you have still have problems, report back here. I would recommend rather than signing in as Administrator, try it also with your normal account (just make sure it has the same privileges as Administrator - see User Accounts under Control Panel).

I have tried all of the suggestions and no joy. I noticed that when I am in Administrator that CCleaner finds a lot more unused file extensions that when I am logged on. I do have Administrator rights associated with my logon. Any other ideas? Thanks.

Hmm, go to Start - Run - type "msconfig" (without the quotes) and under services and startup see if there are any things there that are associated with the reg keys. If so, and you don't use them, untick them, go into safe mode, and try again (in Administrator if it finds more things?).

I will try your suggestion. As for your question mark...... When I am logged on with my user account (which has administrator rights) CCleaner finds about 45 file extensions, however when log on to the Administrator account CCleaner finds about 120 file extensions. :unsure:

Thanks again for all of the help.

• 2 weeks later...

:D

:D i was scanning the forums to see if someone had the same problem that i have and i found you answer to my problem. i want to thank you for your help. i got rid of all but one item on the list. thank you again

mpk.