CCleaner + Windows Log Files - Slow

Hello and sorry for my English.

If I clean with ccleaner, which takes the Windows log files looking for a very long time. about 15 min. and then finds cc cleaner only small files. How can I speed up the search?

greeting

Sauerkraut22

Win 7 Ultimate 64

CCCleaner 3.22.1800

In case of language confusion :-

Under options / Advanced you can select Normal or Secure file deletion.

"Normal" is very much faster than "Secure" when you are Cleaning (bottom right button)

but makes no difference to speed of Analyze (bottom left button)

The main things you can do to speed it up are:

* Try a different version of CC to see if the problem is in CCleaner. Example: CC 3.10 from filehippo.

* Uninstall & disable un-needed programs, services, & startup items.

* Uninstall all Norton, McAfee, anti-spyware programs (many can conflict with each other, & norton is a snail sometimes) & try AVG free instead.

* Check your RAM. If it is low & you are using virtual RAM (HDD) it will be veeeeerrrrrryyyyyy slow! Update to MORE RAM if needed.

* Ensure your video/audio drivers are installed, & use Windows updates to grab the latest versions (if needed). Improperly installed/missing drivers cause slow-downs.

* Check that nothing is writing .log files at the moment, so CCleaner is not impeded with waiting for it to become available again.

* Try F8 on boot & see if CCleaner still takes so long in Safe Mode.

* Try creating a new user & see if CC still takes a long time if you do it to a new user account. Sometimes missing/deleted registry values can cause slow-downs.

* After CCleaning your computer, go to drive wiper & choose free space. After MFT wipe finishes & free spaces starts to be wiped, cancel, & run Defraggler to completion.

If you are still having slow-downs after this, let us know. Please post anything helpful, such as which suggestions you tried that worked (if any of them did) to assist in trouble-shooting.

Thank you!

Sauerkraut22 , if other programs are doing similar things - you could have some disk problems .

Right click on your system disk icon , then Properties , then error-checking , click on both checking options .

Some info on your hardware setup may be useful .

ok, I checked the hard drive, no errors. I install an old version, the same problems. I think the problem here is: CCleaner scans for Windows.log. Windows.log = 0 KB. CCleaner can not delete 0 KB file. CCleaner can not skip windows.log search. CCleaner search for windows mediaplayer. Windows MediaPlayer has been deleted 14 days ago. CCleaner can not skip the windows media player search. he looks about 10 minutes the media player, only then can the search continued.

In the Attachment the Hardware and a Scrennshot from the Search

Hardware.pdf

post-63374-0-28320500-1346360799_thumb.jpg

Sauerkraut22 - OK .

Windows.log = 0 KB should be no problem . It may be , that another program is already accessing this file , and CCleaner is waiting for it . Easiest way to check that , would be to boot in Safe Mode , and try CCleaner from there . If it works , then will need to see which program it is .

I see from Hardware.pdf , that you have divided your HD into many logical disks . Are you separating multiple users here ? Did you , by any chance , assign some system stuff to one of the logicals ?

Have you switched AV's ( anti virus ) packages at all ?

How did you uninstall Windows Media Player ? As far as I know , you can't .

@ hazelnut: if i untick the windows mediaplayer running cclenaer quickly, except the logfile problem

@ aviwil: when I boot in safe mode, the same problem. I have 3 hard drives, only one is partitioned into C and D. "C" is the system partition and has 80 GB.

To uninstall the Windows Mediaplayer look here: http://www.techtask.com/windows/windows-media-player-12-in-windows-7-deinstallieren/

an use the google Translator

Sauerkraut22 - thanks for the info on how to uninstall Media Player - sehr gut !

With this , it may be worth a try , to "reinstall" it back , as some of these things sometimes don't exactly work as they should .

When Ccleaner is not running - try to delete or rename your Windows.log file - it let's you or not ?

Have you switched AV's ( anti virus ) packages at all ? Ever ?

• 2 weeks later...

RE:Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 / CCleaner v3.22.1800.

Thanks Super Fast for suggestions on speeding up the analyzing process. I had no idea that my anti-virus would conflict with CCleaner as it has always worked fine with Avast. I recently changed to Panda and that's what caused CCleaner to take forever (15 minutes or more) just to analyze my system. After stopping my anti-virus then analyzing with CCleaner the result was almost instantaneous for the analysis. Cleaned my system up and turned Panda back on. Completed the whole task in less than a minute."Outstanding" . :D Very happy that this was quite simple to resolve and needed to thank all who contributed to this topic. Until next time!

• Moderators

had no idea that my anti-virus would conflict with CCleaner as it has always worked fine with Avast. I recently changed to Panda and that's what caused CCleaner to take forever (15 minutes or more) just to analyze my system. After stopping my anti-virus then analyzing with CCleaner the result was almost instantaneous for the analysis. Cleaned my system up and turned Panda back on. Completed the whole task in less than a minute."Outstanding" .

It's a known Panda Cloud Antivirus issue as posted on their forums, which was why I mentioned it in post #3 since multiple people are complaining about it on the Panda forums. However many antivirus products that I'm aware of will scan everything that CCleaner does, it just depends upon how long those antivirus' lock out CCleaner while they scan and with Panda being a Cloud scanner it can take longer.