Custom Files & Folder cleaning on Network Attached Storage not working

I am in the same boat as you guys. My custom files (and I am selecting specific, non-system, files on my local drive) will not clean. I have uninstalled, reinstalled, reselected files and it won't clean. It doesn't even acknowledge the items in the analyze process. I tried running in debug and there is no trace of custom "include" items in the log.

(running on XP and v3.26.1888)

Hi qtrolazyg

Thanks for reporting your issue with 'Custom files & Folders' cleaning. I was starting to think I was the only person in the world with this problem!

It's sounds like you have a similar issue to me all be it on your System drive rather than an external NAS drive.

I will see if I too have the problem when adding files on my System drive to 'Custom' cleaning with versions after 3.20.1750

As DennisD has suggested, it would be useful to know if reinstalling version 3.20.1750 fixes your problem like it does for me.

Regards

mesaboogieman

@DennisD and @mesaboogieman

Yes, moving back to 3.20.1750 does show those custom files in the analyze and it does remove them. I also have folders included for cleaning and those custom folders are cleaning just fine regardless of the version.

Hi qtroazyg

Thanks for your last post.

We do both have the same issue. I tried installing later versions of CCleaner and I also could not clean files and folders on my system drive using the 'Custom Files & Folder' cleaning option. With version 3.20.1750 re-installed all works as it should.

This rules out my Buffalo NAS drive as the issue.

Regards

mesaboogieman

• Moderators

@DennisD and @mesaboogieman

Yes, moving back to 3.20.1750 does show those custom files in the analyze and it does remove them. I also have folders included for cleaning and those custom folders are cleaning just fine regardless of the version.

Thanks for the update, although you have slightly different issues, they're basically the same. That just makes it even more interesting. ;)

Informal testing: I was trying to figure out why my home PC is okay, while the work machine was not okay with the newer versions of cCleaner. Other than operating systems, the difference seems to be that the files I am trying to delete on the work computer are on a partition. The home PC isn't partitioned. I don't if that helps anyone or not. Anything on the "C" drive will delete as expected.

Informal testing: I was trying to figure out why my home PC is okay, while the work machine was not okay with the newer versions of cCleaner. Other than operating systems, the difference seems to be that the files I am trying to delete on the work computer are on a partition. The home PC isn't partitioned. I don't if that helps anyone or not. Anything on the "C" drive will delete as expected.

Your problem deserves to be in a separate topic.

Probably the major and most significant difference is not the partition,

but the operating system and to a far greater extent the fact that a "work computer" may well be under the jurisdiction of an I.T. department,

and they may well have imposed special access permission restrictions that affect what you and CCleaner can delete.

I think it would be unwise for anyone here to assist you in fixing a "wok computer" without the explicit approval of the owner of that computer.

Actually, the work computer is not restricted (unlike many IT controlled places). My home computer probably has tighter controls (sad but true). The drive is wide open and I can wipe away (at my own peril). As for OS, work is XP and home is W7. Alas, I am not asking for a work around or tweak. However, it would be nice if it would work again. :)

However, it would be nice if it would work again. :)

I suggest that if you want help you start a fresh topic commencing with full details of the computer which concerns you.

If you wish then please copy to your topic relevant portions of your existing posts.

I find it easier to understand if I can see everything simultaneously without having to remember what appeared on a separate page.

• Moderators

i, and forum rules/customs, disagree with what Alan has suggested. Only start a new thread if your issue's changed into a new issue

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

This issue has been dragging on for far too long,.Is anyone from CCleaner ever going to look into this issue or at least comment on it!

Do Piriform not offer any technical support to users of the free version at all. This issue must be affecting the 'paid for' version as well I would have thought.

• Moderators

Please see post 24. Occasionally Piriform will request assistance from users here to identify a particular problem, but their policy is no support for free products.

• Moderators

are the only files that we are talking about not working the ones on Network Attached Drive storage?

else I cannot recreate this issue, and I only now noticed the (perhaps) vital NAS reference, if so it could well be that that was missed by al, the helpers here (as well as perhaps the development team)

if it is the case on NAS then I will change the topic title to reflect this, which may garner help for the developers.

how fast is the link between you and the NAS?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com