Windows truncates file names on copy

Super Fast

I found this out by accident.

_____

Right click inside an empty folder/new text document/default name it gives/ok

Organize/folder & search options/view/uncheck hide extensions for known file types.

Rename it to be exactly filev1.2.12

Now, your file will be an "extensionless" file.

Right-click drag the file you just created, & release/copy here (same folder you are in).

File name becomes filev1.2 - Copy.12

You might think, wait! But it doesn't do this if the file has an extension! You are correct.

The reason this is bad, is many files may not have extensions. Especially files affiliated with a game or program.

What happens if your trying to copy over some huge file & things get "corrupted" or renamed in the process? Your program will "die" or malfunction!

_____

:P -> Works in Windows 7...

• Moderators

3 thoughts

ms naming provisions ask for . Not to be part of file name

this situation only prevails if you've chosen to have know extensions not be hidden

you have waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much time on your hands

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

this situation only prevails if you've chosen to have know extensions not be hidden

you have waaaaaaayyyyyyyy too much time on your hands

That's how I discovered it! Downloaded a file that was missing .zip extension, so when I copied it, the name changed!

I agree with that part!!!! :) <- too much time :) :) <- WAY too much time! LOL!

• Moderators

I don't know if I'd personally call it "extensionless", because it seems like Windows is assuming and possibly rightfully so that the extension is .12. Windows can't possibly know all of the extensions in existence or those that will be created.

Where do I find an official definition of an "extensionless" file ?

So far as I have been aware a file without a '.' dot has a name but no extension,

and if it has a '.' dot then the extension is the character string following the '.' dot.

My personal definition was amended in the last century when I learnt that the latest way to damage a computer was to run a file with a name that looked like

readme.txt

but was actually

readme.txt.bat

which was a script that used command.com to format the drive.

Since that discovery my definition is that the extension is the character string following the final '.' dot.

I believe Windows itself endorses my current definition in that when I try to RUN a file then Windows will use whatever "file associations" happens to dictate according to the final character string.

Guess what, even the Registry Cleaner in CCleaner uses my definition.

I have just created a file with the name a.b.c.d

and a scan includes under "Unused File Extensions"

Unused File Extension	.d	HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.d

I have to applaud creativity. For every useful discovery, there are a thousand useless ones.

That said, you got a lotta time on your hands, Super. :P

Polish up that resume, and when you are famous in the cybersecurity field, we can all say, "Hey, I knew him when...". :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Hi, Ice. Good to see you again. (Good to read you again just sounds wrong.)

Yep, while Super lectures we can sit in the peanut gallery and swap stories about how he had thousands of tabs open at once.

Bet he will have cool charts & graphs, maybe a live threat map or two...

He'll no doubt give credits to the Moderating Team here at Piriform for helping him get his start.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.