will space be re-freed?

science man

Hey guys I've been using defraggler for a few months now. I recently got a new machine loaded all my stuff onto it and am now defragging the drive with defraggler. After getting part way through the job I noticed my free space drastically decreased and continued to. I saw the thread about checking the option "stop VVS...." I did so, and now it seems to be decreasing at a much slower rate. But I want to know, throughout the rest of the defrag job will I get back free space I lost from when I didn't have that option checked?

Well I discovered it's a file in the folder called "system volume information" which I'm going to try to compress,

A waste of time and disc space on Windows XP because most of that is already compressed and a supplementary compress makes it bigger not smaller.

I doubt that the situation is different with later versions of Windows.

Defragging that folder is a waste of time because it is mostly Write-Only apart from when you need to Restore to an earlier point in time.

Saving a few seconds on the odd occasion needing a Restore is little benefit for the hours spent by including it in a daily defrag.

A waste of time and disc space on Windows XP because most of that is already compressed and a supplementary compress makes it bigger not smaller.

I doubt that the situation is different with later versions of Windows.

Defragging that folder is a waste of time because it is mostly Write-Only apart from when you need to Restore to an earlier point in time.

Saving a few seconds on the odd occasion needing a Restore is little benefit for the hours spent by including it in a daily defrag.

Oh ok. Thanks. I cleaned off 112 gig and that seems to have helped because now I restarted the defrag process (regular not the quick one) and it seems to be doing the job much quicker. It should be completed in a day or two.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I've been using defraggler for a few months now. I recently got a new machine loaded all my stuff onto it and am now defragging the drive with defraggler. After getting part way through the job I noticed my free space drastically decreased and continued to.