Portable version shouldn't have these settings available

Andavari

+1 -2

+1 as advice to those USERS who may not be aware that this has an impact on PURE Portablity.

-2 as a request to developers for removing the option.

Personally I prefer all Tools to be portable on a non-system partition so that when Windows self destructs,

I only have to get Windows working again without any need to again download and install the latest tools.

If Portable CCleaner has those three options selected by the user and Windows dies,

after re-installing Windows it is a trivial matter to again check those options.

For those that want those options it could be a bitter pill to swallow if they could only have them on the Installation version of CCleaner.

+ 5 from me.

Do not need these settings portably.

Developers could simply make CCleaner detect the presence of the portable.dat file to detect whether it should have those options.

Portable.dat present, hide those options.

Portable.dat not present, show those options.

Makes a valid point though but I for one have installed the portable CCleaner on some machines like regular installers. Few even bother to use this technique though.

I just extracted the CCleaner.exe and the portable.dat to a folder I created called "CCleaner" inside the C:/Program Files directory and made a shortcut of the CCleaner.exe to the Desktop, the Start Menu or pin to the Taskbar and it behaves like the normal build. Plus it somewhat has much less stuff to leave inside the computer. I do not use this technique if a non-portable version of CCleaner is already installed on that computer. I usually do this on computers that I install CCleaner for the first time.

I have no problem with those options being on the portable build as long as they are disabled by default.

My side suggestion however would be to add a label that tells us that its a portable build.

post-31341-0-58048100-1344145200_thumb.png

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

• Moderators

My side suggestion however would be to add a label that tells us that its a portable build.

Indeed, a good suggestion showing portable!

The portable.dat file could be customized to act as a 100% portable version, or vice-versa as an installed version.

Example (just ideals taken from how ccleaner.ini works):

100% portable (portable.dat):

#PORTABLE#
[Options]
Disable_Run_On_Startup=1
Disable_Context=1

As an installed non-portable version (portable.dat) - or just delete portable.dat altogether:

#PORTABLE#
[Options]
Disable_Run_On_Startup=0
Disable_Context=0

My reasoning for thinking those settings shouldn't be available is if removing a portable version off a computer and those options were checked it will leave unusable registry data behind, for instance when someone right clicks upon the Recycle Bin and chooses Run CCleaner | Open CCleaner and receives an error.

Ishi, I might add that it would be very helpful if CCleaner would (When portable.dat is present) to perhaps state that it is the portable version as well as eliminating the options that Cap'n Spectacular suggested above.

It is very confusing to have those options available to a "portable" cleaner.

* Install CCleaner & select all 3 of the options listed above by Cap'n spectacular. Now run portable CCleaner with all 3 of those options unchecked. I am unsure if it has been fixed yet as I have not had time to test, but older versions of CCleaner would UNCHECK the installed options when run portably (If you had those 3 options ticked on the installed version).

If this has not been fixed, PLEASE FIX IT!!!! Very frustrating to have "Open CCleaner", or "Run CCleaner", "Run CCleaner at startup" ticked on installed version, only to be unchecked by the portable version when run!

This needs to be fixed (if it isn't) BEFORE removing those 3 options in future versions.

If it has been fixed, then apologies... :)