ccleaner takes forever ever since i updated it.

i've used ccleaner for awhile now and ever since i updated it to version 3.21 it's taken forever to finish. it's never taken this long i got it on secure file deletion simple overwrite but still it's never ttaken this long. is it a bad update or something?

• Moderators

When posting a problem with a peice of software to a forum unless you give more info it is difficult for people to help, sometimes they can only guess.

What operating system are you using?

Which is your default browser?

What does it seem to be 'stuck' on?

Are you using normal file deletion settings (1 pass) ?

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

my operating system is windows 7 home premium, my default browser is google chrome, it seems to take awhile on the google cache. like i said i've got it on secure file deletion:simple overwrite (one pass). i've always used the secure deletion: simple overwrite option and it's never taken this long.

To my mind the principle sensible reason for updating CCleaner is to have improved and more extensive cleaning.

The evidence thus far is that CCleaner is successfully finding more junk to clean and therefore there is more to be laboriously over-written.

I suggest measuring :-

1. the amount of Chrome cache that Analyze reports as available to clean;

2, the time taken to securely clean cache only;

3. the amount reported as being removed (in case there is a difference from the Analyze prediction)

Do the above with each version of CCleaner after Chrome browsing sessions that result in comparable quantities of cache cleaning.

Report the measurements and this will indicate whether CCleaner is more effective finding junk or just slower at erasing it.

I also have noticed that cleaning is MUCH slower than before. I have the 3.20.1750 version. Win 7 home premium 32bit SP1, Intel Quad core 2 quad Q6600 at 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM. I am using simple 1 pass overwrite (as usual). It is taking 4 times as long as it used to for the same amount of cleaning.

what happened?

whats the difference between the normal file deletion and the secure deletion?

About 2 weeks - depending on how much is processed :rolleyes:

A normal delete has zero effect upon the contents of the file.

it simply tells Windows the file should not be shown in directories etc and the space it occupied can now be re-used,

and it requires much less than one second.

Secure Deletion will over-write every byte in the file, and a 35 Pass erase cannot possibly take less than 35 times the duration of when that file was first written.

The above applies to HDD.

Things get a little more tricky with an SSD.

Me too. I update CCleaner today, run the first time and CCleaner stay running and running...

Run again and let it runnig, abou 5 hours (I´g gone to work).

What operating system are you using?

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bits

Which is your default browser?

Google Chrome

What does it seem to be 'stuck' on?

Apend a image.

Are you using normal file deletion settings (1 pass) ?

Yes.

Regards,

ri7tsm.jpgMario

crashhat69 , if you're serious about your system security , then the secure deletion is almost essential .

Secure Deletion will do NOTHING to protect you from malware / viruses / keyloggers.

Any confidential records / banking details / adult pictures / etc :-

whilst they remain as undeleted files on your system they will be fully accessible to any-one who shares your computer or hacks your computer;

but will NOT be readily available when they have been simply deleted.

If you share your computer with some-one who might use Recuva etc. then Secure Deletion would thwart them.

If you are hacked your non-deleted files would be of interest and could be accessed,

but the hacker would need to "own" your computer before he could install Recuva etc. and spend the hours it takes to retrieve what has been deleted.

If this concerns you, or if you fear theft of your computer, THEN it is appropriate to use Secure Deletion,

but a better solution would be encryption.

• Moderators

since the secure deletion is slower does it find more files or no?

No

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

When I first posted here, I was having a problem with CCleaner taking forever to load and run. After trying uninstalling and downloading again and still having the same problems, I finally found that if I didn't use the desktop or taskbar shortcuts and ran it directly from c:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64 the program runs fine.

So I'm assuming the short cut options (add shortcut to...etc) when downloading is the problem.

crashhat69 - if you can be 100% sure , that excluding yourself , then anyone with access to your PC , doesn't really have a clue about them , then no need to do secure deletion of the cache . However if any of those with possible access , is anywhere near really knowing their stuff , secure deletion of the cache , is virtually essential .

I finally found that if I didn't use the desktop or taskbar shortcuts and ran it directly from c:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner64 the program runs fine.

So I'm assuming the short cut options (add shortcut to...etc) when downloading is the problem.

Recently there was a change to CCleaner that reduced UAC aggravation.

"Run As Administrator" is sort of related to overcoming UAC.

Is it possible that recently enhanced Secure Deletion gets a speed benefit with reduced UAC aggravation when running CCleaner direct,

but a Desktop/Taskbar/etc launch has reduced privilege and so runs slow ?