How to skip Open Candy installations

Andavari

• Moderators

Great find.

I'm not a fan of Open Candy, but at least they do provide a mention of their presence in the EULA of whichever software they're accompanying.

A similar type of "download addition", if I can call it that for want of a better description is "Bunndle"

http://www.bunndle.com/

They were (probably still are) tied in with "uTorrent", an account they won from Open Candy, and at the time of the recent uTorrent thread ...

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=35729&view=findpost&p=214220

... did not announce their presence in any way.

Not trying to hijack your thread big man, but this seemed like a good opportunity to mention this other company.

• Moderators

Like I've stated in previous topics it's very easy to stop these 3rd party piggyback adware suggestions built into too many installers now via the HOSTS file. I've installed tons of ad supported freeware that includes OpenCandy and Bunndle but since they're blocked via the HOSTS file they can't phone home to suggest me anything.

I've long known that just disconnecting from the Internet completely thwarts them and many other similar suggestion services from showing anything, however it's nice to now know about that /NOCANDY switch.

• 1 year later...

I'm not a fan of Open Candy [malware],...

A similar type of "download [malware]" is "Bunndle [malware]"

bunndle.com

[ no-www.org ]

Oh thank you, DennisD, for sharing that.

Not trying to hijack your thread

It's not hijacking to make others aware of similar harm. Drawing the right eyes to the problem will help make them suffer justly drive them into oblivion.

Like I've stated in previous topics it's very easy to stop these 3rd party piggyback adware suggestions

HOSTS abuse ought be a measure of last resort. Confront morally weak or intellectutally impaired "free" software developers: re-educate them on the correct use of the word 'free'.

• Do insist mobile markets add a seperate category for the adware flavor of malware.
  • Insist developers honestly label their malware.
  • If they believe it's a choice for the public insist they also offer a non-malware installation wrapper executable/zip.

many other similar suggestion services

Please share your list. Some people volunteer to update HOSTS lists, RBLs, and other public service resources. ;)

however it's nice to now know about that /NOCANDY switch.

Is it equally nice to know one can not-bother to include that functionality in such malware installation wrappers?

The fact that they support and honor the "/NOCANDY switch"

That is a specious claim.

The switch is a potential -- by construction it is unlikely.

shows they have higher integrity

It allows them to purport the illusion of integrity that you are eager to believe is real.

than others that could be named

Please name them to help others help the world be a less evil place.

adware is antithetical to free; the COST of adware is too high: injured privacy = injure liberty.

@mod necessary necro: public service malware defeat

* this form field prevents firefox autospellcheck

without secure privacy there can be NO liberty

"nothing to hide/fear" rebuttals are intellectually weak