Microsoft EMET

Andavari

• Moderators

Anyone ever use the Microsoft tool EMET ("Enhanced Mitigation Experience Toolkit")? I haven't tried it but it sounds very interesting in that it can protect in vulnerabilities regardless of who made a software. Possibly would be good for old software that's abandoned and vulnerable.

No, have not used it, but did download it. :P It sounds really good.

This sounds interesting.

http://www.rationallyparanoid.com/articles/microsoft-emet-3.html

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

I've been using it for a few hours at the moment, so far everything is good. That article you linked to was also helpful in me deciding to give it a try. The RAM usage is about 14-27 MB on WinXP, however I don't even notice any performance hits from the EMET Notifier running. Will need to play with it much longer to know if it's a keeper or not.

Makes me wonder why they don't somehow merge it into something like Microsoft Security Essentials, think how good that antivirus would be then.

-----------

Edit:

Ok Firefox isn't exactly working so smooth with it being protected by EMET at the moment, well actually I noticed it a few minutes ago too before I rebooted. I'll have to remove the Firefox protection it seems because it's acting too jerky, and typing this in is acting very weird and slow too.

I use it on a Windows 7 laptop and I haven't noticed anything functioning differently. If I remember correctly, the ALSR and SEHOP technologies do not work in Windows XP so it may be of limited use on an XP machine.

• Moderators

I know about the limitations with WinXP. For the heck of it I added in a bunch of programs that can update via the Internet and it stopped SpywareBlaster because of EAF, which was impressive seeing it block something. I however only had four programs that can access the Internet which weren't going to work with EMET.

And my Firefox issue was just something not even related to EMET.

• Moderators

I did look into using EMET Andavari at one point. However as I use HIPS as part of my layered defense (host intrusion prevention system) which I use to decide what my internet facing apps are allowed to do, I decided against it.

It is still is a very interesting concept and one which works as a system hardening tool and is one of Microsofts good ideas. Used as a layered approach it's a good tool indeed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 1 year later...
  • Moderators

A bit of an old thread  I know but there is a new good how-to here for anyone wanting to know more about this, and more importantly it has screenshots and clear info.

http://www.howtogeek.com/190590/quickly-secure-your-computer-with-microsofts-enhanced-mitigation-experience-toolkit-emet/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I've wondered why it has never been incorporated right into the OS.

It's been around for long enough and seen a few Windows versions come and go that it should have been.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

Thanks, Hazelnut.  Very informative. 

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.