Linksys firmware upgrade causes anger

hazelnut

• Moderators

Users of some Wi-Fi Linksys routers have had their firmware autoupdated to a cloud based administration.

One user complained.....

"Note that in the picture, the 192.168.1.1 unroutable (internal) network address used for accessing the admin panel for my router won't let me log in without signing up for a Cisco Connect Cloud account. I just finished talking to tech support, who confirmed there is no way around this,"

Cisco's privacy policy states...

When you use the Service, we may keep track of certain information related to your use of the service," the policy said. Among other things, that data may include how much traffic is going through the router every hour; that information includes the Internet history from the home network

Offers are now available to 'downgrade' the firmware back to what it was.

https://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9228687/Linksys_firmware_upgrade_for_Wi_Fi_routers_angers_some_users

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Why bother in the first place. Just get a different brand..

the point here is not to play what brand is "less" or "more" good, the point is to inform lynksys users and tech support people who might get a client calling about this problem

Just change the firmware to an DD-WRT version, if available. DD-WRT is more versatile and full featured.

could you link to some good (and safe, preferably from a known source, like CNET or lifehacker) instructions for this.

And management from the cloud is more convenient because it can be done from anywhere, he said

which in my opinion is the exact thing that makes it less safe, I only want to be able to work on my routers from LAN side

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Why bother in the first place. Just get a different brand..

+1.

- Because they fixed it, I would probably keep the router.

- If they had not, I would begin pleasant discussions about getting my money back.

- - (Danger: here there be lawyers.) :P

- Because they did it to start with, I would later buy a different brand if possible.

- The only vote they care about is your vote with your money.

imho.

edit 27 July 2012:

Sorry, that was harsh & not very helpful, but it angers me that Linksys would do that, then instruct their techs to say that.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

could you link to some good (and safe, preferably from a known source, like CNET or lifehacker) instructions for this.

The best source is the DD-WRT website itself.......

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index

Just check to see if your model wireless router is included in their Router Database and follow the link to the available firmware download which will have the installation instructions. As with all firmware updates, follow the directions.

I've used their firmware on several occasions in order to improve the performance and versatility of my routers. Most notable was my Linksys E1000 model, signal strength went from good/very good to excellent. On a Linksys WRT54G I was able to convert it into a bridge repeater using the firmware's added features.