What browser do you use?

rridgely

What browser do you use?   

25 members have voted

1. 1. What browser do you use?

@Super Fast, with love :)

While I am not sitting in front of your PC, here are some things to try to speed it up (if you'd like). Usually does have a cause.

I'm perfectly capable of troubleshooting typical browser sluggishness. If you really must know; the problem is the way Firefox interacts with the network drivers that my wireless adapter uses. It's 'Time-To-First-Byte' is much slower than all of the other browsers; which means the browser needs to wait longer than usual to begin rendering the page.

Now back to my original point. Just because IE sucks for you; doesn't mean it also sucks for everyone else. I could go and rant for hours about how crap Firefox is because it won't work right on my slightly-dodgy wireless network. I don't because I understand that software performance is entirely situational.

I'm Shane.

I'm perfectly capable of troubleshooting typical browser sluggishness. If you really must know; the problem is the way Firefox interacts with the network drivers that my wireless adapter uses. It's 'Time-To-First-Byte' is much slower than all of the other browsers; which means the browser needs to wait longer than usual to begin rendering the page.

I am aware of that. Have you checked whether it is in "Proxy" mode? I am not downing your expertise by any means. But if you ever go into "offline mode", say, your internet connection winks out, firefox can mistakenly set it for proxy mode, which will greatly slow your browser. And, I assume, also cause the time-to-first-byte to become much slower than normal. I was wondering if you are speaking of older versions of firefox, or if you have tried the newer version 14 yet?

Newer versions are quite a bit faster than older ones.

Would be very interested to know! Thanks!

Edit: Have you checked Windows update for a wireless driver update? This sometimes fixes latency problems... :)

Anyone use the 64bit version of IE9 as their regular browser? I know when it came out it pretty much got overlooked because adobe hadn't put out version of flash and java for it. I just noticed on filehippo that their are now official versions available for it.

I tried it once... But it loaded 2x slower than it's 32 bit cousin. Not sure why...

So I dropped it. It may load websites nearly on par with 32 Bit once loaded, or loaded the first time or two. BUT!

64 Bit or not, I ain't using slower!

Just putting my two cents out here, but IE9 works very well and opens things quite fast for me; imho a great browser.

It seems like the 1st time you open 64 Bit IE, it takes nearly 2x longer to open than the 32 Bit version of IE.

Afterwards it seems to open almost as fast as 32...

From what I heard, they kept the old rendering engine in 64 Bit the same, & updated the one in 32 Bit IE... Vrooom, vrooom! LOL!

• Moderators

Ok, so I decided to try chrome out again. I installed an extension called click and clean. On the extension page it mentions having a malware scanner, but I don't see it mentioned anywhere in the settings? The extension is clunky and bloated, but it does what I want it to do.(clean chrome on exit)

Also to the people who use WOT, what are the downsides of not logging in? I assume I just can't rate websites right? I don't really want to create an account.

• Moderators

Also to the people who use WOT, what are the downsides of not logging in?

I don't really know because in Firefox (and Firefox clones) it automatically logs you in by setting a cookie so you don't have to log in, which can be confirmed on any page you visit by clicking the WOT icon and then click "View scorecard for rating details" and in the WOT page it loads at the upper-right you'll see your user name and that you're logged in.

Even if you delete the WOT "mywot.com" cookie it will automatically set the cookie again and automatically log you in.

Reading through this topic, I am surprised that nobody mentioned Waterfox at all.

Waterfox is the highly optimized 64-bit version of Firefox; I haven't used anything else since it was first released in September 2011.

There are certain tools that do not work well on non-IE browsers (e.g. http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect); in these cases I use IE9 (64-bit).

• Moderators

The reason to log into WOT is to provide feedback on pages, other than that I don't believe there really is a reason

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I don't really know because in Firefox (and Firefox clones) it automatically logs you in by setting a cookie so you don't have to log in, which can be confirmed on any page you visit by clicking the WOT icon and then click "View scorecard for rating details" and in the WOT page it loads at the upper-right you'll see your user name and that you're logged in.

Even if you delete the WOT "mywot.com" cookie it will automatically set the cookie again and automatically log you in.

In addition to the cookie, Firefox saves stored user passwords (if you select for it to) in %appdata%\Mozilla folder.

• Moderators

In addition to the cookie, Firefox saves stored user passwords (if you select for it to) in %appdata%\Mozilla folder.

I use Pale Moon. But yeah I figured the browser was saving the info itself or the WOT addon was, however I've never had a reason to investigate where the info for WOT is stored.

In Chrome; WOT stores user preferences in a HTML5 localstorage container.

C:\Users\Shane\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Storage\chrome-extension_bhmmomiinigofkjcapegjjndpbikblnp_0.localstorage

I would assume Firefox is handled mostly the same.

I'm Shane.

I use IE9 64 bit. I didn't try any other browser. I started to use it only after (the dreaded) Adobe's Flash was available in 64 bit.

I am not too happy with IE9. When I type a reply on a forum (like this one) from time to time, it causes delays before typed characters show up on the screen. Don't know who/what is to blame for this. Sloppy progamming of IE9 ? Perhaps IE9 still needs to be optimized more ? Antivirus program ? Firewall ? Adobe's Flash ? Graphic driver ? Graphic hardware ?

I read somehwere else on this forum that HTML5 would be an alternative for Adobe's Flash. Well, what are the folks at Microsoft waiting for ? I want HTML5 NOW !!!!

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

I read somehwere else on this forum that HTML5 would be an alternative for Adobe's Flash. Well, what are the folks at Microsoft waiting for ? I want HTML5 NOW !!!!

IE9 does support HTML5. But there are millions of sites out there who offer their content only in Flash format; not much Microsoft can do about that...

Other browsers supporting HTML5: http://html5test.com/results/desktop.html

... When I type a reply on a forum (like this one) from time to time, it causes delays before typed characters show up on the screen. Don't know who/what is to blame for this.

Fwiw: Same thing happens here using wxp ie8, but is NOT happening right now using Firefox running in Slitaz linux os. I have no idea what that is about either, but sometmes that delay seems pretty long.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Looks like no one will be mentioning Safari anymore, it seems Apple have killed it off for Windows users.

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/12/07/25/apple_kills_windows_pc_support_in_safari_60.html

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com