Returnil and other drives protection.

DennisD

• Moderators

Well, I've only been using Returnil 2008 since 2008, and I've just discovered a way to use a feature I didn't realise would work.

Using the "File Protection" feature ...

I simply entered my "E" drive, which is where I save all data and downloads, and now I can't access any of the folders on that drive at all, either to get something from it, or save something to it.

I can open that drive, but I can't do anything.

I couldn't save this screenshot to it, so I had to use another drive. What this means in way of protection I can only guess based upon what I can't personally do with that drive now. Which suggests that access would be denied to anything or anyone.

Just for info, I tried to upload a photo for another thread and couldn't. No access at all.

Interesting, so I thought I'd share it.

Question :-

How about Windows Disk Management ?

Can that still change the driver letter, and if so are the contents still protected by Returnil ?

Can you still delete / format / shrink / merge the partition - I assume you have backups :lol:

• Moderators

Yes, yes and yes. Or maybe?

I'm happy to have found a way to make all my drives inaccessible from online Alan. If you want to try changing drive letters with this feature active, be my guest. There's a download link in my signature. :lol:

As it is, I've just then tried this with my internal hard drive, the two non system partitions on my main drive, and a USB flash drive, and they are all off limits.

With each attempt to save a simple image to any of those drives, I get an access denied pop up message in the browser, which also asks if I want to save to my "My Documents" folder, which I could, but remember that with Returnil, all changes to the System Drive disappear when you reboot.

Let me know how you get on changing drive letters, but make sure you have a back up Image to hand. :lol:

That is very impressive protection.

What happens if you try to protect your system partition ?

Does it know to say NO ?

Make sure to have your Linux Boot CD to hand :lol:

• Moderators

That is very impressive protection.

What happens if you try to protect your system partition ?

Does it know to say NO ?

Make sure to have your Linux Boot CD to hand :lol:

That's already protected Alan.

I just didn't realise that the File Protection feature could protect entire drives, and not just files and folders.

Because I use Sandboxie for browsing, and Returnil mainly for testing software, I simply hadn't investigated all of its features.

And it's possible I'm not the only dimwit not to have done that, hence this " for info" thread.

I just didn't realise that the File Protection feature could protect entire drives, and not just files and folders.

So how do you set that up, Dennis? Do you just string the drive letters together with commas? Or to be specific, what would be the nomanclature for adding two external usb HDDs?

Disregard, Dennis, I figured it out.

Edited by Tom AZ

Thanks for posting that, Dennis. Sounds like a replacement for Powershadow on win 7.

Couple questions, tho:

If you have Returnil running and install something, on purpose or not, is it just gone when you restart? I used 2008 for a while but don't remember. Are you offered the chance to save changes?

Also, if you install something that requires a restart, you can't complete the installation normally, is that right?

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Thanks for posting that, Dennis. Sounds like a replacement for Powershadow on win 7.

Couple questions, tho:

If you have Returnil running and install something, on purpose or not, is it just gone when you restart? I used 2008 for a while but don't remember. Are you offered the chance to save changes?

Also, if you install something that requires a restart, you can't complete the installation normally, is that right?

We posted at about the same time Login, and I missed this one. A kindly moderator(ess) gave me a nudge. :)

Yep, after rebooting everything is back as was. Install something and it's gone. Uninstall something and it's still there.

And right on the second one. Applications which need a reboot would also be gone.

Bear in mind though, that some programs which ask for a reboot to finalise the installation, will still run without the reboot. Some will, some won't, so it's sometimes worth trying as you can't do any harm. If it messes up, just reboot and it's all gone..

And remember to install it to use Ram and not the Hard Disk, and if you have any other option to save data such as other drives, partitions, flash drives, then watch the install carefully and "skip" the Virtual Partition.

And a final word of warning. If ever you have to reinstall it to renew the yearly license, make sure you uninstall it and reboot first.

Edited by DennisD