Exclude 'Opt-Out' Cookies?

I have gone to a great deal of effort setting opt-outs from hundreds of sites, and I'd really like a SIMPLE way to preserve/select/deselect them when running the cleaner. I use Firefox almost exclusively, and I've used CCleaner for years and years, but this is beginning to become quite a chore. Is there currently a way to accomplish this that I have not found, or is it something that yet needs developing?

TIA

If you save CCleaner settings to .ini, I believe it also retains your settings for Cookies. So, if you have your include/exclude filter like you want it, & just want to import/export cookie lists for whatever reason, why not do the following?

_____

Open CCleaner & set the cookie excludes how you want them.

Create a shortcut to C:\Program Files\CCleaner on your Desktop & name it CCleaner.

Double-click the shortcut to open it, then take your saved ccleaner.ini file & copy it to the desktop. Not move, copy.

_____

Then, if you should play around with, change, whatever, the CCleaner settings, you can always right-click drag ccleaner.ini to the CCleaner shortcut & release.

Choose "Copy Here" & it will replace your current ccleaner.ini with your version you saved with your cookie lists.

You can also use this portably on your flash drive by copying it to the same dir as CCleaner.

_____

Does this answer your ?, or did you have something else in mind?

• Moderators

There are Firefox plugins that will automatically do this for you without ever having to save a list that is if it's for adservers, and trackers. And there's also Ghostery which will just block them without having the cookies on your computer at all

• 4 months later...

Oh you guys, I'm so sorry I spaced! My 'puter was really sick for a LONG time, and I lost track of many a conversation, this obviously among them!

Super Fast: Yours is a good idea, and I think I could manage it, once I actually get my cookies how I want/need them...but when I say there are hundreds, of 'opt-outs', I'm not exaggerating. And of course, every company does it differently, so they will need to be read--one by one...ugh!

Andavari: I had tried Ghostery, but I found it really interfered with my browsing ability. I have since found a couple of other things that work very well for me, within Firefox itself. Cookies Manager+ is a great little program, and I use Better Privacy for 'Super Cookies' (which CClean also destroys), and Privacy Choice for trackers and adservers.

But what I'm really asking about is aimed at the Devs of CCleaner--I need a way to REALLY exclude cookies I want to keep--including Flash cookies.

Thank you both for your time and effort. Really appreciated. B)

• Moderators

Um there already is a way in options>cookies

If you don't know which ones are Opt-Out (though it sounds like you do)

Clean all your cookies with ccleaner (excluding any you've moved to "cookies to keep" of course)

Recreate the opt-outs

move them over to the cookies to keep

This will work with both browser and flash cookies

Edited by Nergal
Opt-Put is not a real thing I have fixed my typing mistake and it now reads Opt-Out

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Well, DUH...

that link was really helpful--thanks!

BUT. What I'm asking is aimed at the Devs of CCleaner--similar to the 'newer' option of excluding logins: If those can be filtered out, skipped, there should be a way to include the opt-outs as well.

Did I say that right? Doesn't it make sense to any one but me?

• Moderators

How would CCleaner be able to differentiate between the opt-out version of a 2o7 cookie and just a 2o7 one. Externally do they look different. Remember ccleaner isn't, too my knowledge, reading each cookie; although admittedly I don't know how the mechanism of the intelligent cookie scan works. . . and I don't use that feature as I only want to keep some of my log-ins.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Thanks to all for your suggestions. At least now I have a way to NOT nuke all my hard work. There are 2318 in total, only about 150 actually "MY" cookies...

Now to run out for some milk to go with those soon-to-be freshly baked Toll House 'Ultimates" Turtle cookies. Find 'em in your grocer's dairy section, somewhere near the milk. How handy!

Nergal:

How would CCleaner be able to differentiate between the opt-out version of a 2o7 cookie and just a 2o7 one

I don't know--that's what the "uber geeks" are for? ;)

Externally do they look different.

Yes, for the most part, they do. The vast majority have an 'expiration date' of 01//01/22. In addition, many carry the words 'opt-out' (or some variation thereof) in either the name or the content. So, yes, I really think it CAN be integrated into the intelligent cookie scan. All this was really aimed at the Devs, anyway, cuz with over 2K of these things, it's really a lot of work...

So again, thanks to all. It's been very helpful. Peace/Out

Gaia

Now to run out for some milk to go with those soon-to-be freshly baked Toll House 'Ultimates" Turtle cookies. Find 'em in your grocer's dairy section, somewhere near the milk. How handy!

Most advanced spam bot ever :P

Did you consider my suggestion of wiping all the cookies, getting back the opt out ones and then excluding them?

Most advanced spam bot ever :P

No, no, no--it's called "product placement" ;)

Did you consider my suggestion of wiping all the cookies...

No, not yet. I do 'maintenence' only once a month or so, after the latest MS Update. So it will be soon. I can back up all my cookies thru Cookies Manager +, so that's what I'm looking at trying. It lets me filter them, so I should be able to pull this off without too much trouble. Will let you know if it worked?

P.S. Did you get socked by Sandy?

• 5 weeks later...

I have gone to a great deal of effort setting opt-outs from hundreds of sites, and I'd really like a SIMPLE way to preserve/select/deselect them when running the cleaner. I use Firefox almost exclusively, and I've used CCleaner for years and years, but this is beginning to become quite a chore. Is there currently a way to accomplish this that I have not found, or is it something that yet needs developing?

TIA

The replys to Gaia's question so far have supplied a "working solution" but, the keyword in the request is "SIMPLE" way to preserve/select/deselect cookies.

For non-tech people there should be a way to "SAVE/EXPORT" the cookie and CCleaner settings to an export document like Firefox uses for its bookmarks.

If there was a "SAVE/EXPORT" choice that left the doc. on the desktop, you could import it into another computer or save it to import it back after a operating system change or even a clean re-install of CCleaner. I too have lost hours of select/deselect time not knowing how to SAVE-EXPORT my prized preferences. I hope the developers see this. Or if there is already a way I haven't found to do it, I apologize and point me to the "SAVE/EXPORT" button.

If there was a cookie/preferences MASTER LIST that applies to all brousers, then this "magic button" would be very valuable. My friends and I have always thought that you LOVE/HATE the same cookies regardless of which brouser you're using. We don't see why Chrome, Int Explr and Firefox cookies have to be separate lists.

The reason I love CCLEANER so much is because it allows a SIMPLE way for a non-tech computer user to do UBER-TECHIE STUFF and always be successful. It makes me feel smart. The utility is a must have for every computer.

In CCleaner, click options, then advanced. Tick the box that says 'save settings to INI file.'

Navigate to your CCleaner install folder (most likely C:\Program Files\CCleaner). CCleaner.ini will be in the folder, and will contain all of your settings.

Alternatively, the settings are by default stored somewhere in the registry (I'm not certain where) and you can export them as a .REG file.

• Moderators

The replys to Gaia's question so far have supplied a "working solution" but, the keyword in the request is "SIMPLE" way to preserve/select/deselect cookies.

For non-tech people there should be a way to "SAVE/EXPORT" the cookie and CCleaner settings to an export document like Firefox uses for its bookmarks.

If there was a "SAVE/EXPORT" choice that left the doc. on the desktop, you could import it into another computer or save it to import it back after a operating system change or even a clean re-install of CCleaner. I too have lost hours of select/deselect time not knowing how to SAVE-EXPORT my prized preferences. I hope the developers see this. Or if there is already a way I haven't found to do it, I apologize and point me to the "SAVE/EXPORT" button.

Hi CASHOUT, and welcome to the forum.

You can save/export all your CCleaner settings which includes the list of saved cookies.

Go into "Options\Advanced" and select "Save all settings to INI file". You could then copy "ccleaner.ini" from CCleaners folder and export it to another computer, or simply keep it as a back up.

Is that what you're after?

EDIT: Nija'd me Win.

Hi ya CASHOUT, and thank you for your support!

If the devs would just add bleeping CHECK BOXES to the bleeping cookies lists, along with a 'select/deselect all' box at the top of each list, it would sure make things simpler.

Whoa---apparently my sugar is low---

must

go

bake

cookies....

Edited by gaia_smith

• Moderators

Gaia I know you want the feature but you need to check the attitude at the login screen.

again unless someone can tell me how a program such as ccleaner is able to discern between the two,I don't see this occurring.

however the developers read all threads but never comment so it may happen if they know how to achieve this

though saying "bleeping" jest or not probably does not aid your case

A thousand pardons for offending!! :(

It was indeed meant in jest, and I had every intention to conclude it as the edit above, but was torn between getting it posted and feeding my critters before dark. The critters won. As usual. They just don't care that mom's busy right this minute, fighting this bleepin' antique computer...as usual.

I'm mortified.

• Moderators

no, worries we all get that way too sometimes...and my critters care not at all what I am currently doing ever either :)

Thanks Nergal. I will henceforth watch my blee....langrage...

You can, for the time being, select multiple cookies at once by holding CTRL and clicking them.

Two thumbs up!