CCleaner won't clean standard user files

WIndows 7 64bit Professional

CCleaner v3.19.1721 (64bit)

Options / Advanced / Skip User Account Control Warning selected.

When I run CCleaner in my own account, which is an Administrator Account, I still get the UAC pop-up and have to click on Yes to proceed. The program works fine after that.

If I run CCleaner in a Standard Account, the UAC pop-up also prompts for my Administrator Account password and when it runs it clears the files for that account rather that the Standard Account.

This also happens if I enable the built-in Administrator Account, except it clears the files for that account.

If I turn User Account Control off completely via the WIndows Control Panel, CCleaner will run correctly in both Administrator and Standard Accounts, clearing the appropriate files.

This problem did not exist on my previous WIndows XP Professional SP3 computer.

I have read other posts in reference to UAC, but they do not help to solve this problem.

• Moderators

xp didn't have uac

this is a under investigation bug for 64bit ccleaner

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

If this bug only exists in 64 bit CCleaner then perhaps the 32 bit version would work - but of course not for all aspects of 64 bit application debris.

I am only offering a possible option - I am not saying you would like it :)

• Moderators

32bit doesn't work on 64bit I thought, because it's looking for sys32 instead of syswow6432 or what ever it is

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I find that having unzipped Portable CCleaner.zip I had a folder containing both 32 bit and 64 bit flavors of CCleaner.

When I use Windows explorer to double click it makes no difference which of the *.exe files are selected,

I always get the 64 bit version (as shown immediately after the CCleaner.com logo) and Analyze shows the same large amount of junk to go;

UNLESS

I have renamed the 64 bit to *.exe.txt (or presumably deleted it)

in which case then the 32 bit version will not be able to hand-over to 64 bit big brother,

and the 32 bit will then be fooled by Windows into thinking that SysWow64 is System32,

and then when it Analyzes it will find less to do.

I believe 32 bit CCleaner can clean from all parts of a 64 bit system that 32 bit applications can use and litter with c??p,

but 64 bit applications may leave stuff in non-32 bit places that needs a 64 bit strength "Harpic" to clean around the bend.

My issue is not concerned with the 32bit / 64bit debate.

The problem is witht he latest versiobs V319 and V320.

When I run either of these in a Standard User account, the UAC forces me to enter an Administrator password and then cleans the data for that Administrator account rather than that for the Standard Account.

That is why I have reverted to V318, which when run in a Standard Account does not issue the UAC prompt and cleans the data for the Standard Account, as expected.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just installed V321. The problem re Standard User Accouts still exists. When I run CCleaner in a Standard User Account it prompts for an administrator's password and cleans the administrator's files, not the current user's.

I have again reverted to V318.

When is this bug due to be rectified?

I can't confirm this behaviour. CC starts without a password prompt on my system (Win7 Pro. X64). But I unselect the new option “Skip User Account Control Warning” always. Maybe this option causes your problem?

• 4 weeks later...

I have tried V322 with the "Skip User Account Control Warning" both selected and unselected. It makes no difference, the bug I originally described still exists.

After many years being a very satisified user of this software, it appears I will have to look for an alternative.

Ok, I have no more ideas why CC shows this behaviour on your system, sorry. You can check if this behaviour also occurs when you start "CCleaner64.exe" directly out of the programs folder (C:\Program Files\CCleaner). But I think the developers have to investigate the problem.

"CCleaner64.exe" directly out of the programs folder (C:\Program Files\CCleaner)

Does it always live in that folder ?

Might it sometimes exist in

C:\Program Files (x86)\CCleaner ?

I ask because I remember as if it was yesterday that Piriform apparently lacks consistency.

After a quick search I find my memory is better than I thought, the topic was 4 days ago :-

http://forum.pirifor...showtopic=36640

Will2 posted (with some contradiction)

Whereas Ccleaner, Recuva and Speccy install themselves in a "C:\Program files" subfolder, Defraggler v2.10 installs itself in a "C:\Program files(x86)

The Piriform folks have determined in all their wisdom that for all 4 programs both the "normal" version and the 64 bits version are installed in the same folder

QUESTIONS :-

Is there any possibility that for some systems the 64 bit version might exist in C:\Program Files\

and that other systems might have it in C:\Program Files (x86)\ ?

If so, is it possible that this issue only exists when CCleaner64.exe is held in the folder which Piriform developers have NOT intended and possibly not tested ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for reply AP, yes the "Run as Administrator" is unchecked

I found the solution to this same problem that I suffered from, until now. I am on Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit.

Right-click the shortcut icon. Go to Properties. Go to tab Compatibility. Section 'Privilege Level' has a tick for "Run this program as an administrator", even though Properties, Shortcut, Advanced is unticked for "Run as administrator". (This must be a Windows feature:-) This tick for "Run this program as an administrator" is greyed out. Click on the button below it <Change settings for all users>. Now the tick can be cleared, and your standard account will get cleaned.

I would not have found it without the prior conversations, so thanks for the contributions! Hope this works for you too!

@ Bluefoot & RichardKing: Thanks for your replies.

Here is the bug report for the developers:

The installer creates a shortcut with wrong properties: The option “Run this program as an administrator” on the tab “Compatibility” has to be unselected!

Please fix this bug with the next version. Thank you!