Free png to icon converter

englishmen

• Moderators

IrfanView (freeware, no adware, no spyware):

IrfanView can do this just save any image to .ico. Note: It won't allow you to have transparent backgrounds therefore the resulting icon will has a square surrounding and will most likely look ugly if used on the desktop, etc.

---

Clic (freeware, no adware, no spyware):

Clic is what I use to "create" icons. All you do is open any image viewer/editor and copy the image to the clipboard and then paste it into Clic. It even supports transparent backgrounds, therefore if the source image is of good quality or is properly edited the resulting icon will look like it was done in a professional program.

Note: To have the transparency properly remove a background color it's best to use 24-bit/16-million color images.

Tip: Use a painting program such as MS Paint or Paint.NET you can paint the background to a color that isn't in the main icon image itself which will allow you to get a transparent background by only removing the background color in Clic.

• Moderators
Andavari, before I download any of these bits of software will they convert ico icons to png?

Cheers

25885[/snapback]

IrfanView can. I also think XnView (freeware, no adware, no spyware) can also but it's been a long time since I used it.

I forget to mention to make IrfanView really powerful download the All Plugins package.

• 2 weeks later...

IrfanView can. I also think XnView (freeware, no adware, no spyware) can also but it's been a long time since I used it.

I forget to mention to make IrfanView really powerful download the All Plugins package.

Yep xnview does convert PNG to ICO and about anything else you can imagine and in single or batch files

plus alot more things to many to mention.