Why is CCleaner causing my computer to forget that I was signed in after I close it?

I thought that I had solved this issue that I am having, but I was wrong, I only temporarily solved it.

A couple of days ago, whenever I'd close Internet Explorer 8, my computer would forget that I had checked the "remember me" box on any website that I was signed in to. I tried everything over and over again that I could think of to solve this problem, nothing worked. I checked and rechecked all of IE's settings, I reset IE's options to default, I uninstalled all Java/Adobe Active X stuff that was installed, I made sure there wasn't any "add-on's" running, and searched for hours to find a solution and finally yesterday I finally thought I had found the solution. I read some post from some website that CCleaner was causing the problems and just needed to be uninstalled and then reinstalled again. THIS WORKED, temporarily.

As soon as I uninstalled CCleaner, IE began to behave like it's supposed to. I reinstalled CCleaner and configured it how I always have it and everything worked fine until about 30 minutes ago. What could possibly be causing this to happen. Why would it work completely fine for a day, and then start doing the same thing again?

I absolutely love CCleaner and would hate to have to stop using it. Please someone help me figure out what is going on. My computer skills are above-average, so am I completely capable of pretty much anything on a computer.

Thanks for your time.

Doubt is not a pleasant condition, but certainty is absurd.

Adobe Flash Player (Applications -> Multimedia) sometimes causes conflicts with website settings like Remember Me.

Why would uninstalling CCleaner make the flash stuff not conflict with my website settings?

Also it says you are at Rochester Institute of Technology. What state? I live in Rochester, MN

CCleaner ran flawlessly on my computer for several years now, without any indirect conflicts with the flash and website settings. Why now all of sudden would it? This is very strange.

• Moderators

it wouldn't. running ccleaner without selecting the cookies you want to keep (including flash) would stop your sites from remembering you.

please hit edit instead of making posts in a row

from where are you getting ccleaner, there is nothing in ccleaner (from valid sources) that install/uninstall would do anything but uninstall ccleaner.

Edited by Nergal

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

it wouldn't. running ccleaner without selecting the cookies you want to keep (including flash) would stop your sites from remembering you.

But I didn't run CCleaner when this started happening, I just exited IE, re-opened IE and went back to the website I was signed into and it didn't remember me. It does remember me now that I unistalled CCleaner. Why?

I am fully aware of the settings and what they do in CCleaner.

Thanks for responding so quickly, and I apologize for posting multiply times in a row.

Edit:

The first time I unistalled CCleaner, and everything worked fine, I reinstalled CCleaner and everything worked fine for a day, and then suddenly just stopped working properly....

Just adding this because I don't think I'm describing this situation properly. It's a really strange situation that is happening here.

Edited by notinfallible

from where are you getting ccleaner, there is nothing in ccleaner (from valid sources) that install/uninstall would do anything but uninstall ccleaner.

Sorry about posting a seperate post, but I didn't notice that you edited your reply.

You asked from where I am getting CCleaner. I was doing some browsing on the internet to see if anyone else had any similar issues to that of what I was having and I read a post (don't remember what website) where someone suggested uninstalling CCleaner and then reinstalling it. I did not think this would work, but it did, for a day anyway. It's a really weird problem and it's really frustrating when I post what is happening and nobody understands. I know this is probably my own fault, but I don't know how to explain this any differently.

Please look into this. Trust me, I realize that it probably seems unlikely that CCleaner would have anything to do with the problem that I am having, but doesn't it have to have something to do with it, if I uninstall it and my computer all of sudden works fine?

Edited by notinfallible

Just having it installed shouldn't conflict with anything, but you should try downloading from www.piriform.com

I'm currently on break from school, but I attend in Rochester, NY. Seems like there's a "Rochester" in almost every north eastern state.

I know that just having it installed shouldn't conflict with anything, that is why this is so strange.

Edited by notinfallible

• Moderators
I reinstalled CCleaner and configured it how I always have it and everything worked fine until about 30 minutes ago.

What does that mean?

Also some reading for you for troubleshooting purposes, lots of things can cause this such as

You checked “Remember me” while in IE’s InPrivate browsing mode

Your cookie settings restrict the server’s ability to set persistent cookies

Your browser zones configuration is incompatible

Your browser isn’t patched

The website’s security policy requires an occasional login

The website’s cookies are being cleared

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ieinternals/archive/2009/09/11/troubleshooting-stored-login-problems-in-ie.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

What does that mean?

Also some reading for you for troubleshooting purposes, lots of things can cause this such as

http://blogs.msdn.co...lems-in-ie.aspx

Thanks for the link, but I've already read that blog and all of the replies.

InPrivate Browsing is disabled on my computer.

My cookie settings are the same as they have been for a least the last year, trust me I pay attention to this stuff.

The configuration in the browser zones is the same as it has been for just as long as my cookies settings.

I've tried logging in, exiting IE, re-opening IE, went to page that I had just logged in at, and I've done this over and over again, before and since I posted this thread, so I don't think the occasional log in suggestion applies.

I'm pretty sure the cookies are being cleared, but by what? And why does uninstalling CCleaner change what happens to the cookies when I exit IE?

Have you tried installing the newest version from piriform.com?

I installed CCleaner from Piriform and it's the most recent version. (v3.19)

Edited by notinfallible

You didn't explain what you meant here

After uninstalling CCleaner and IE8 started remembering me, I reinstalled CCleaner and customized the settings (in CCleaner) to how they were before uninstalling, and IE8 still remembered me. About 24 hours after all of this, IE8 suddenly stopped remembering again.

Edited by notinfallible

• Moderators

Make sure you've configured cookies to keep in CCleaner by going into 'Options > Cookies'. Any you want to keep can be moved over into the keep area on the right side by using the -> button.

If those sites still don't remember you untick all of the cleaners under Internet Explorer and the one for Adobe Flash Player in CCleaner.

If all else fails I'd recommend starting with a fresh CCleaner by not using any of your previous configuration from it.

Edit:

Fixed typo.

customized the settings (in CCleaner) to how they were before uninstalling

That means absolutely nothing to us. We do not know what is special to you.

You can use CCleaner => Options => Advanced

and check the box Save all Settings to INI file,

and then close CCleaner.

You will then find CCleaner.INI in whatever folder holds CCleaner.exe and you can copy that as CCleaner.txt and attach to your next post.

I apologize for wasting your time. I believe I resolved the issue. I have no idea why uninstalling CCleaner initially resolved the issue, but I believe the problem was with IE8. Over the past couple days I've been getting a lot of updates from Microsoft and most of them were for Internet Explorer.

I have since reinstalled CCleaner and it works great. Thanks for all the help and I apologize for not being able to articulate what I was trying to explain very well.

You have a very dedicated support system here it seems. I recommend CCleaner to anyone out there that is reading this, it's a great program.

Edited by notinfallible

• Moderators

Good news that you have managed to work things out. It can be infuriating when something like that happens.

Don't worry about posting about it, you did it in a polite manner and we were glad to discuss it with you.

Feel free to post again should you have anything else to bring up notinfallible :)

And a belated welcome to the forum :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com