Driver Uninstall

Tom AZ

Are any special precautions needed when uninstalling a leftover driver from a prgram that's been uninstalled (with some difficulty)? Not exactly what you would have called a "clean" uninstall.

• Moderators

Depends on the program.

If it was a 'deep driver' (you know kernel hooks etc) then sometimes reinstalling the program, rebooting, and then uninstalling in safe mode can be quite successful.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

It can be a life saver before using any 3rd party driver uninstaller software that removes left-overs to make a System Restore Point, and image backup your hard disk with Windows before trying to remove some drivers as removing some such as mouse drivers, etc., can cause serious issues.

Not exactly sure what the driver is or what it does, but it's a leftover from Zemana's AntiLogger. I've been having lots of trouble getting rid of a Zemana startup registry item ("Denied Access" -- but not a permissions issue) and wondering if this might be the culprit.

Well give the re-install, then uninstall in safe mode routine a try and let us know how it goes.

Can't hurt anything anyway.

I would, Hazel, but I've had so much trouble getting to where I currently am that I'm extremely hesitant to reinstall it.

• Moderators

Here's something to try since some security software marks such keys as read-only and won't let you delete them in a normal manner.

You may need to change the permission of that registry key and input Administrator into it, here's how:

* http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc728310%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

* http://www.ehow.com/how_5059334_change-administrative-rights-registry.html

You may need to change the permission of that registry key and input Administrator into it, here's how:

Already tried that, Andavari, but that doesn't work either. In looking at this more closely, it appears that the registry item is still there, but the file to which it refers is missing (probably a result of my almost having to "force" uninstall).

Even so, it seems like I should be able to simply delete the registry item, but I can't. That's why I thoiught maybe it was somehow linked to the leftover driver and in turn, that was restricting its removal.

Even though I'm not receiving any kind of notification(s), could my A/V program or firewall be prohibiting removal from the registry?

• Moderators

Even though I'm not receiving any kind of notification(s), could my A/V program or firewall be prohibiting removal from the registry?

One more reason to try the reinstall/uninstall in safe mode routine. If firewall or av was preventing it, they couldn't in safe mode.

Have you tried emailing them for advice?

http://zemana.com/question.aspx

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Security software can actively prevent removal of files and perhaps registry keys.

Prevention may continue via a driver, perhaps even Zemana driver.

Windows itself can prevent removal of files and keys.

Perhaps 5 years ago I removal a Firewall program, and 2000 registry keys/sub-keys were frozen and could not be removed by RegEdit

I tried taking ownership but they still would not go.

They only went when I got devious with the registry hives.

• Moderators

A quick question Tom, did you remove the software using something other than its own built-in official uninstall exe such as a 3rd party uninstaller tool (Revo Uninstaller, Iobit Uninstaller, Total Uninstall, ZSoft Uninstaller, etc.,)?

If so that could be the root of the problem as many security softwares won't remove correctly by using a 3rd party uninstaller especially those with drivers and real-time shields and can, may, or will cause issues, or be nearly impossible to remove.

A quick question Tom, did you remove the software using something other than its own built-in official uninstall exe such as a 3rd party uninstaller tool (Revo Uninstaller, Iobit Uninstaller, Total Uninstall, ZSoft Uninstaller, etc.,)?

This has been going on for a couple weeks so I'm not absolutely sure, but I may very well have used Revo which I use a lot. As I understand it, though, Revo always uses the built-in installer, then looks for leftovers.

If all of this is true, do you think Hazel's suggestion of reinstalling and then uninstalling in safe mode would help?

Revo first uses whatever is available through the Windows control panel "Add/Remove Programs"

Whatever is available through the Windows control panel "Add/Remove Programs" WILL NOT DEACTIVATE self-protection by security software.

I know that Comodo Internet Security self-protects against any malware and whilst active may also protect against "Add/Remove Programs"

Perhaps Zentimo needs to be configured via its GUI to prepare it for a clean removal.

It would be advisable to seek guidance from Zentimo.

Edited by Alan_B

• Moderators

If all of this is true, do you think Hazel's suggestion of reinstalling and then uninstalling in safe mode would help?

It might help, especially if you used one of those 3rd party uninstallers on it. Other than that you could look on their website or ask on their forum if they have a specialized uninstaller that goes further than their built in one to fully remove it - many security software has such a thing.

Actually, I ended up taking Hazel's suggestion. I reluctantly re-installed Zemana and uninstalled it again. Except for the fact that Zemana didn't like the "Safe" mode uninstall idea, the whole thing went reasonably well. I still have a few leftovers, but I can probably get most of those cleaned up.

Thanks to everyone for all the help and suggestions.

Tom, there are several things you can try.

- Autoruns, as mentioned earlier by someone, is a very good utility to locate & delete leftover driver files -> Right-click/Run as Admin.

- CCleaner -> Registry cleaner -> See if it shows up when you scan for invalid keys. ONLY deleted the keys related to your missing driver file.

- Revo Uninstaller -> As mentioned earlier, run as admin & see what it turns up.

- Regshot -> Try using Regshot to record all the changes as you install the app, then use it so you can remove all the pieces to it.

I know AutoRuns & Revo were mentioned earlier, but have you tried CCleaner or RegShot? CCleaner reg scanner will (sometimes) pick up leftovers from uninstalled programs, & RegShot will show all the changes from an installation so that you can remove it & revert it.

Hope this helps!

Edit: If it is a file & you know it is related to the program your trying to remove but it will not remove, try using Unlocker. It is very good & will help remove locked processes.