Running CCleaner Causes Google Drive to Crash on Windows Shutdown

Symptoms:

If CCleaner is run while the Google Drive application is running, Google Drive will crash when Windows is shut down. This will cause the Windows shutdown to hang.

googledrivesync.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x03d700ff referenced memory at 0x0000001c. This memory could not be written.

Configuration:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit SP1.

Google Drive version 1.1.3019.0542.

Piriform CCleaner version 3.19.1721.

Workaround:

Quit the Google Drive application before running CCleaner.

Notes:

Frankly, I think this is probably a bug in Google Drive and not CCleaner but I wanted to report that the current versions of Google Drive and CCleaner don't play well together.

• Moderators

Is google Drive tied to chrome? try an experiment, uncheck all the chrome entries, run a clean and see if Google Drive still crashes

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Are you saying that when you use CCLEANER /AUTO /SHUTDOWN this fails to shutdown whilst Google Drive is running ?

OR

Are you saying that after running CCleaner whilst Google Drive is running you can then close CCleaner,

and perhaps half a day later you successfully close Google Drive,

and then you try to shutdown Windows and this is the stage at which you see

googledrivesync.exe - Application Error

The instruction at 0x03d700ff referenced memory at 0x0000001c. This memory could not be written.

Nergal:

I have tried running CCleaner will all Chrome options unchecked. The same error occurs.

Alan_B:

Here's how I can reproduce the problem, step by step.

1) Re-boot the PC. Note that I have set up the Google Drive application to start automatically (this is the default), so googledrivesync.exe is running shortly after the computer starts up.

2) Start CCleaner and click on the button that says "Run Cleaner". CCleaner runs without error messages or warnings.

3) Exit CCleaner.

4) Go to the Windows Start Menu and simply click Shutdown. googledrivesync.exe gives the message listed in my original post and the Windows shutdown will hang until the message is dismissed.

Note that if I attempt to access the Google Drive application after Step 3, it's unresponsive. I can't manually stop the Google Drive application after I've run CCleaner because Google Drive doesn't seem to actually do anything when I click "Quit".

Thanks.

Some further information:

When the Google Drive application is running, it creates a directory under C:\Users\Chukhung\AppData\Local\Temp with a name like "_MEI54082" (the last five digits of the directory name change every time the Google Drive application is started). Within this directory are a large number of subdirectories, DLLs, and what appear to be Python files. This directory disappears when the Google Drive application is shut down manually.

I looked at the contents of this directory before and after running CCleaner (while I left the Google Drive application running).

The _MEIxxxxx directory went from 24.2 MB, 170 files, and 93 folders to 18.5 MB, 33 files, and 0 folders after I ran CCleaner.

I'm guessing that Google Drive gets seriously confused when CCleaner partially deletes the contents of this directory.

• Moderators

In the meantime I'd recommend that you input into CCleaner an Exclude of the Google Drive folders to stop CCleaner from cleaning it.

Here's how you can exclude it:

1. In Windows you'll probably first have to enable the view of Hidden Files and Folders on your system in order for CCleaner to show the folder(s) to be excluded.

2. In CCleaner click Options -> Exclude -> Add Drive or Folder

3. Browse to the folder location(s) to exclude.

4. In CCleaner click Analyze to make sure it no longer lists Google Drive files.

5. In Windows remember to set the view of Hidden Files and Folders back to the original settings you had.

In the meantime I'd recommend that you input into CCleaner an Exclude of the Google Drive folders to stop CCleaner from cleaning it.

Here's how you can exclude it:

1. In Windows you'll probably first have to enable the view of Hidden Files and Folders on your system in order for CCleaner to show the folder(s) to be excluded.

2. In CCleaner click Options -> Exclude -> Add Drive or Folder

3. Browse to the folder location(s) to exclude.

4. In CCleaner click Analyze to make sure it no longer lists Google Drive files.

5. In Windows remember to set the view of Hidden Files and Folders back to the original settings you had.

I guess my problem is that the name of the directory that Google Drive creates changes each time the Google Drive application is started.

I would like CCleaner to clean up the files in C:\Users\Chukhung\AppData\Local\Temp except for the _MEI????? subdirectory currently being used by Google Drive. Unfortunately, the name of that subdirectory keeps changing...

• Moderators

first select the folder, as it exists now

then right click the new exclude and choose manually edit

make a wildcard with a *

e.g. C:\Users\Chukhung\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI*\*.*

then go to Google's beta forum and write a nasty letter about that they should not be using %temp% for critical files…again.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

LOL I just found your comment on the google forum LOL

I feelz famous :D

Also found a Huge thread about this including this winner of a post

Googledrivesync is also doing something really weird, in that it seems to install some of it's DLLs and scripts into a sub directory of your temp directory each time it starts up!

Why would any programmer do this?

so I ain't alone in my querying of google's (lack of understandable) programmer tactics.

not sure if this link will work (for an internet company Google is completly clueless on how to make a website that work SIgh) http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!searchin/drive/Memory$20Error$20on$20Shutdown$20/drive/LDFDNbjwrMY/1isjjpx10MAJ

Yes, if I shutdown (or logout) my Windows 7 system the new

GoogleDriveSync V1.0.2975.8828 does not show an error message any

more.

However it still doesn't delete the _MEInnnnn directory in my TEMP

directory which it DOES delete if I right click it's system tray icon

and choose 'Quit Google Drive'.

People also seem to be having this issue when and if google drive is not quit properly, or they all have something that is emptying their %temp% before shut down

[opinion]Once again, I find that google's tactics (like those of installing GoogleChrome in %appdata%) to be idiotic at best and possible vectors for malware at worst.[/opinion]

• Moderators

[opinion]Once again, I find that google's tactics (like those of installing GoogleChrome in %appdata%) to be idiotic at best and possible vectors for malware at worst.[/opinion]

My opinion is you're being far to nice as to where they install stuff, and their usage of the Temp folder. There's more than enough cleaning tools besides CCleaner that will empty the Temp folder.

Industrial spies have been known to take unwanted surplus paperwork from office Trash Cans and obtain valuable confidential information.

Perhaps Google Drive likes to live and work in the computer Trash Can to aid its mission of presenting targeted advertising :o:angry:

• Moderators
My opinion is you're being far to nice as to where they install stuff, and their usage of the Temp folder. There's more than enough cleaning tools besides CCleaner that will empty the Temp folder.

Including windows itself

Industrial spies have been known to take unwanted surplus paperwork from office Trash Cans and obtain valuable confidential information

:blink: why would we need this information?!? LOL of course a spy would look in the trash; in fact that's the first place a not spy would look in order to "obtain valuable confidential information"

• 6 years later...
On 05/06/2012 at 16:53, Nergal said:

make a wildcard with a *

e.g. C:\Users\Username\AppData\Local\Temp\_MEI*\*.*

I joined this forum just to thank you for this - Google Drive now also stores thousands of individual frames (_Sync Anim_*.png) for it's sync animations here as well and it was taking CCleaner many hours to securely wipe them all as part of my temp cleanup.

Once I added the wildcard you provided into my Exclude Folders list, it was fine.

Thank you again for such a great suggestion! :)