Can anyone recommend a splitter for .avi film clips?

cazboy

I have an .avi film clip stored on my hard drive that I would like to split into smaller fragments. I'm running Win-7 Professional, 64-bit. I tried Windows Live Movie Maker, but I just can't figure out how to perform the split at a chosen location once I've loaded the film clip.

What's the EASIEST-TO-USE freeware program to do what I want? Or should I try Windows Live Movie Maker again? If so, would someone walk me through the steps?

Thanks in advance,

• Moderators

I personally use VirtualDub Portable (Free / Open Source (GPL):

http://portableapps.com/apps/music_video/virtualdub_portable

Important Tip:

To copy the video and not reencode/transcode it which will reduce quality you'll have to remember everytime you open the program to click 'Video' in the toolbar and select 'Direct stream copy'.

Captain Spectacular, thanks very much.

• Moderators

I'm Off topic!!!!!

See, @login123, People do mistakenly call him captain :P

:lol: Thats the second time that's happened, a new member using the title. Never happens to Andavari, nobody writes "Thanks, Captain Spectacular..." nor to Nergal, you never see someone write "Thanks Volunteer CCleaner Demon/Post Meddler ... " I'm gonna change it, causes too much confusion, not sure why, but it does.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

... See, login123, People do mistakenly call him captain :P

:lol: Yep, so they do.

Cazboy, please be sure no one is making fun of you.

It is just that, on this forum at least, everyone pretty much uses the member name, like "login123" or "nergal" or Andavari". It looks sort of funny to see a member using the "title".

I have begun to wonder if that is a growing trend on other forums, since it has happened here two or three times in the last few months and almost never before.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Can we all get back on topic please!!!! :angry: .....

.... but only after I've had my turn. :lol:

I like this idea. "Post meddler" sounds just about right for old Nergie there (that's just my affectionate name for you Nergal, doesn't mean we're engaged or anything).

I now can't stop myself looking for "new names" for folk.

@ cazboy....

Sorry for the invasion of your thread, but if you need an alternative to Andavaris suggestion (always good to have alternatives) have a look at Avidemux.

Avidemux: (Free)

Downloads: (Includes 64bit)

I find it very easy to select and save off sections of an AVI file using the slider and the "wheel" for accurate placement. Leaves the original file alone and saves off your edits to new files. Very easy to use, but if you need any guidance, post back.

I have an .avi film clip stored on my hard drive that I would like to split into smaller fragments. I'm running Win-7 Professional, 64-bit. I tried Windows Live Movie Maker, but I just can't figure out how to perform the split at a chosen location once I've loaded the film clip.

What's the EASIEST-TO-USE freeware program to do what I want? Or should I try Windows Live Movie Maker again? If so, would someone walk me through the steps?

Thanks in advance,

I`m using Machete, very useful, low on sys resources and easy to use:

http://www.machetesoft.com/

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

That's a new one on me Eli. I'm gonna check that out, and I'm sure you won't mind me adding a link to the "Lite" version, which is free.

Just in case folk don't spot it's quite small mention at the side of the screen ...

http://www.macheteso...ditor-lite.html

Be my guest Dennis, By all means.

• Moderators

I'm gonna check that out, and I'm sure you won't mind me adding a link to the "Lite" version, which is free.

Please give your likes and dislikes about it. It does sound interesting, but very limited compared to VirtualDub.

• Moderators

It is limited compared to Avidemux and VirtualDub, but I didn't get past the first thing I tried to do with it, and that is to save out a section of an avi.

With Avidemux, I can drag the slider to absolutely any part of the progression bar, marking off the "A" and "B" points, and then save that section off as a separate avi, but with Machete, I couldn't get past the initial setting of the start and finish points.

This warning kept appearing each time I marked out a section, and although I was using either the "previous key frame" or "next key frame" button to follow that direction, the window kept appearing.

Gave up.

Eli may be able to get this software to do what he requires, but I'll stick with Avidemux, which will save off any marked section without having to (attempt to) mark out key frames.

Also, you can use KM Player.

KM Player can be set to loop a video file (Handy for those times you don't even want to cut it, just play it!).

F5 key sets the start frame, & F6 sets the end frame for the loop.

Additionally, you can right-click on KM Player while it is playing a file/Capture/Video: Capture, or Video: Quick Capture (Also, ALT + C)

Thought I would throw that in there, since it could be really handy, & may be something that you could use.

F5 & F6 to loop video, ALT + C to capture & export. If this sounds too hard, they have a special point & click skin you can download to use.

* While setting up KM Player, be sure to select 3 GHZ (Quality Mode) instead of the recommended 1 GHZ general setting. It makes videos play LOTS smoother.

I got Machete to work OK. Chopped up and saved some .avi and .wmv files.

Made the following notes, fwiw:

full version won't go, even as a trial

lite version:

- needs K-Lite 0r FFDshow codec packs. I used FFDShow. Could this be an issue, Dennis?

- will edit out parts and save the remainder

- will join parts

- will add files to join movies

- sound is ok

- is fairly fast

- works OK for .avi, OK for .wmv

Have not tried the others you guys mentioned but will later.

Back on topic now. Shall not stray again. :(

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

• Moderators

- sound is ok

Shouldn't have sound issues anyway it isn't supposed to re-encoded/transcode.

You didn't go off-topic in my opinion, Eli suggested it as an AVI splitter and since the developer offers a freeware version your providing of more in-depth info can help people to decide if they wish to try it or not.

Too bad it doesn't include the needed bits from FFDshow to begin with and store it in its own folder, I already have a codec pack I use and won't mess around with it by removing it to try out the program.

Thank you for the word of support, sir. But to the task:

I mentioned that about sound because while tinkering around with these video apps I encountered one that would edit out parts, but the resulting video had weird sound issues. Sorry to say I don't remember which.

I have almost no experience with video editing, and it is difficult for me to keep track of which app did what, so I have started keeping a comparison list. That's where that little summary in post 17 came from.

Only 2 on the list so far. Machete (thanks Eli) and MacX Video Converter Pro.

Edit:

MacX was available as a giveaway, posted here in 2010 by Tasgandy or Hazelnut.

MacX Converter is still available as a promo giveaway.

Here, in the guessing game at the bottom. (copy and paste):

http://www.macxdvd.com/giveaway/giveaway.htm

There's a big clue to the correct answer in the links at the bottom.

I just downloaded it but have not yet tried it.

Nuther edit:

MacX is still available, I just tried it a little. It seems a versatile converter, and will make DVD folders which you can burn to DVD ( I didn't do that, have enough coasters).

@ Cazboy: MacX could serve as a splitter if you cut an avi up and saved the parts.

• Moderators

lite version: - needs K-Lite 0r FFDshow codec packs. I used FFDShow. Could this be an issue, Dennis?

Nope. Although I appreciate your efforts.

I've actually got everything installed to encode or decode anything, and most software of this type will pick up already installed stuff like FFDShow or a DivX installation. I even gave it it's own copy of FFDShow, but no go.

Avidemux does everything so much better (and smoother), without having to jump through hoops to find and install needed codecs, filters etc., which is why I haven't done my usual "won't give up until I find out why" routine.

Avidemux is well worth having if you get involved with avi files, or other video file types for that matter. VirtualDub, which Andavari mentions above, is much more powerful, but by virtue of that fact is more complex and daunting if you haven't used it before.

I've got VirtualDub installed, but I haven't yet had cause to beyond what Avidemux can do.

And the MacXConverter you mention I also grabbed when it was first offered for free, and it's a good piece of software. I no longer have it, but only got rid because I wasn't using it.

How are the pills doing by the way? :)

... How are the pills doing by the way? :)

Very well, thanks. When combined with the biweekly hypnosis sessions and The IA (Installaholic) meetings, I shall soon be cured.

Must be off now to download Avidemux version 2.5.6, it came out on 31 dec 2011 and I don't have it yet! :o

It is limited compared to Avidemux and VirtualDub, but I didn't get past the first thing I tried to do with it, and that is to save out a section of an avi.

With Avidemux, I can drag the slider to absolutely any part of the progression bar, marking off the "A" and "B" points, and then save that section off as a separate avi, but with Machete, I couldn't get past the initial setting of the start and finish points.

This warning kept appearing each time I marked out a section, and although I was using either the "previous key frame" or "next key frame" button to follow that direction, the window kept appearing.

Gave up.

Eli may be able to get this software to do what he requires, but I'll stick with Avidemux, which will save off any marked section without having to (attempt to) mark out key frames.

I have needed a simple task, to cut a video in to two parts [splitting] ,and for that function I did not have any issues.

• Moderators

As I sort of mentioned earlier Eli, if you've got it working for you, as Login did, and it does the job you want, then you can't ask for more.

I don't know why it kept popping up that message for me as there isn't anything untoward about my XP system that I know of, but I couldn't get past that error message with the avi file (an episode of the office) I was using, and because I get everything done with Avidemux, I wasn't bothered about finding out why.

It could have been the file I was working with causing the problem, as I know from experience that video containers such as avi, can have a host of things not quite right with them, but still play fine.

Just for info, an example is shown in this screenshot ...

All avi movie files, shown in "thumbnails" view. The odd one out there has something not quite right with it, although it plays fine. It may be the file header, it may be missing an index, or it may have been converted with an old version of whichever converter was used.

I didn't intend being too negative about Machete, just saying it as I saw it, and Avidemux obviously is doing something that Machete can't.

Blame Andavari. He asked me to post my findings. :lol:

• Moderators

The odd one out there has something not quite right with it, although it plays fine. It may be the file header, it may be missing an index...

I always pass AVI's through Avi-Mux GUI to remove any junk so they're compatible with my PS3, and if Avi-Mux GUI can't write out to a new file something is usually wrong with the file itself.

Avidemux has the nasty habit of writing in a DivX header, even when Xvid was used which annoys me, however Nic's Mini AviC FourCC Changer can fix the header info as to what it is either DivX, Xvid, etc., it normally comes bundled with Xvid however it can be separately downloaded, very much worth having in your video tools arsenal, and it's portable.