Needed: MAC Experts who are Comfortable with CCleaner

Nergal

I have used CCleaner on Windows for years.  On Mac, relatively new to CCleaner for Mac, but not the Mac.  I can say this... with the current version of Mac OS (Sierra 10.12.3), Secure file deletion is not happening on my system.  It takes longer like its doing something, and yet it shows nothing except a 0KB file from Firefox deleted...  Could this have something to do with secure deletion having been removed from the operating system for emptying trash???  (This was done because when using File Vault on a hard drive, everything is encrypted, so in the view of the Apple wizards, securely deleting encrypted data is unnecessary because once the decryption key for that set of data is deleted, the data is as good as dirt and unrecoverable anyways so it is unnecessary to securely delete anything--but this does no good for those not using File Vault on their drives)...

That's the first thing I see that is problematic with CCleaner not being functional on Mac.

CCleaner for mac is working fine for me. Be sure that your selection for secure deletion is "normal" and not "secure". Sierra no longer allows secure deletion since Apple now uses SSD drives in most of their machines and those drives do not support secure erase.

• Moderators

@johnny,

as reiterated by @Nergal in post #25, this thread is a request for helpers.

it's great CC for Mac is working for you, and if you could login regularly and help other Mac users with their issues, I'm sure the forum community would appreciate it.

Backup now & backup often.
It's your digital life - protect it with a backup.
Three things are certain; Birth, Death and loss of data. You control the last.

• 7 months later...

What trouble could I possibly get in?

I used and liked CCleaner for years on my Windows 7 PC but over a year or so ago abandoned the PC for the MacBook Pro.  (Gaming now relegated to consoles only.)  So so far I haven't found any real need to use CCleaner on the Mac nor has Apple once suggested that there is any need.  Yet CCleaner has a Mac version and claims some need.  I'm reluctant to dive right in but just continue to keep an eye out.

Would be very interested to hear here from any Mac users who find CCleaner of value/useful to them?

Other then Malwarebytes there has been no other 3rd party care I'm aware of needing.  Since storage is an ssd there is no defragging but my backup drives are hdd.  Apple to the common user finds no need to discuss any of this which coming from the PC world I find refreshing and hope it lasts.

Edited by Ratsneve

• 5 months later...

I'm an old Windows/CCleaner user but have 100% left M$ a couple(?) years ago for Apple with a MacBook Pro 15", touch bar, 4 USB-c ports, and yes--a SSD.  (Also an iPhone 7 plus and an Apple Watch too.)  As some of you might imagine I have spent many hours with Apple Care.  I have one outstanding months long unsolved problem to share elsewhere here maybe.  I suspect talking to Apple Care that CCleaner might be a great 3rd party tool that Apple needs however they repeatedly don't recommend CCleaner.  And only recently have I gotten some okays to run Malwarebytes--neither of which are found in the App Store.  Apple's concern may be that running CCleaner will (and does) mess up some things?

IMO, Piriform's goal should be to get CCleaner in Apple's App Store de-tuning it down to where it causes no problems.  ...I'm waiting.

App Sandboxing--fascinating read...  So what is left of CCleaner if it goes along with App Sandboxing and could then be listed in the App Store?  I wonder if this is the same reason why Malwarebytes isn't listed in the App Store?

Edited by Ratsneve
Added comment on this App Sandboxing issue...

• 2 years later...
  • Moderators
3 hours ago, danielsmith said:

I am using cc cleaner since when I have the smart phone of samsung 7562.

It works  good. After passed some time it didn't work good.

What's wrong with cc cleaner.

please open a new thread in ccleaner for android as this is a topic begging for ccleaner for mac helpers.  When you do start a new thread please put more information, what do you mean after "time passed it doesn't work good", for example.  but not here,do that in a new thread in the correct board.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com