VNC Software

Tom AZ

I have TeamViewer installed on 4 PCs for helping family members with PC problems (Free non-commercial use). Very simple to use. :)

Same here. :D Though with ~6 PCs.

I noticed that you can either "install" or just "run" TeamViewer from the executable. Which of these two options works better -- or doesn't it really matter?

You can set a password in full/install version. If you use the exe ("run"-version) it'll always generate a new password for each session, which means someone must be at the PC when you want to take the connection. Also the .exe-version might have less options/settings included.

I use the full version, but I've installed it through the exe/launcher (easier to advice through phone).

I use the full version, but I've installed it through the exe/launcher (easier to advice through phone).

I lost you with this statement. What exactly do you mean by this?

If user/client runs the exe-version and tells you the ID+PW, you can take remote connection, and there's an option in TeamViewer to install the full version (through the exe-version).

It's easier to instruct with the exe version; "Download TeamViewer from here, then just run/double-click it and tell me the ID & password".

You have to install the full version (which might be harder for some people) and set the options (mainly the password).

Not trying to sound totally stupid about this, but are you saying that you have an "installed" version on your computer and everyone else you help/assist runs the ".exe" version?

I use portable version to connect the machines. I've full version on my PC so I can set a certain password.

The other machines also have the full version installed, but I installed it through exe-version.

If you don't need rem.con. to install TeamViewer, you can install the full version directly yourself. I did this to my PC and gf's laptop.

What I meant is it's easier to instruct eg. my mom to launch the exe-version instead of install full version and set the settings.

After she launches the exe-version, she simply just tells me what's on the screen (ID+pw) and through the exe-version I install the full version so I can set a certain password.

Edited by nodles

Just played with this a little and noticed a little box in the lower right hand corner of the remote monitor. Because the background color is so heavily "grayed," I can hardly read what's in the box. At least this is how it displays on my computer. Is there any way to make it more readable.

Thanks for all the help, Nodles. One last question for tonight . . . does the remote/client computer have have a web browser open or logged onto the internet in some fashion?

Probably another question with an obvious answer, but here goes anyway. Once you're done with a remote control session, how do you end the session and also make sure all connections are closed?