CCleaner resets/removes Audio Unit (AU) register

I very happy with how great CCleaner is working, but there is a extremely annoying thing after it has cleaned up my mac. I'm using Logic Pro and Mainstage 2, and therefore i'm having a lot of plug-ins installed, which in Logic is coded to the Audio Unit type. So when I want to run Logic aften the clean-up then it takes several minuets to scan and relocate all plug-ins. This has led to in my case, that I haven't used CCleaner in which case I wanted, and probably should.

Specs:

MacBook Pro OS X 10.6.8

Intel Core i7

Logic Pro 9.1.7

Mainstage 2.1.3

Steffen :)

• Moderators

I'm running on the assumption that, not the plugins themselves but, some file that allows Logic to load them quicker is being removed. Can you confirm/deny this assumption.

Sadly not many regular visitors to this site have a MAC so we are kinda flying blind on this product until we can get a user-base for this, realativly, new software.

Luckily I'm a music-producer and my business partner uses both a MAC and Logic. So, if you confirm that the AU plugins are not, themselves, removed I may be able to convince him to let me have a go at it.

EDIT: Question is CCleaner by any chance removing

(~/Library/Caches/Logic/com.apple.LogicAudioUnits.plist

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

CONFIRMED! Seems like you've understood it :)

There's opinions of what to delete in CCleaner (two tabs named Mac OS X and Applications), and I don't understand why Logic is not mentioned. Just a curious thought.

• Moderators

Can you run an analysis in the mac version (I assume yes)

can you run the analysis and look at the detailed list of each item. In windows in you Double click results on the Analyze/cleanup list where it says, for example, Safari - Cookies 15 files, you can look at what each of the 15 cookies it has found are.

Can you do this and look for the .plist I suggested, then come back and let us know which subsection it came up on.

If you can't look at the details, and you don't mind only one more time losing the AU index (which I'm 96% sure is that plist) you can do the following steps

Uncheck everything in both MacOS and Applications Tab

Check the first thing

Run a Clean

Open Logic

if not broken close logic

uncheck item in ccleaner

check next item

repeat (clean, open logic, not broken, check next)

until you find an item that breaks it

then come back to report to us which on it was

You could also follow these directions to find the clean so the logic AUs index broke and do a compare of the two directories (note: requires console usage)

http://hints.macworl...070408062023352

This will also tell you, if perhaps ccleaner is vacuuming (emptying the plist and not deleting it) This will not work as it does not take a drive snapshot you could try to find a MACOS app that is similar to http://www.pendriveapps.com/program-installation-monitor-what-changed/

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

Yeah, I kind of remembered that being an issue with the MAC version. than my second set of instructions is sadly the way we'll need to go. Alternately, delete the plist file, that I mentioned, manually (cut it and move it to another location or better a removable drive) and see if logic behave in a like manner to what it does when you cclean

• 4 months later...

Apparently, similar problems can be experienced by users of Final Cut and other software.

After speaking to Piriform Support and an Apple Technical Advisor, I have come across the following solution:

1) Lion and Mountain Lion users will need to unhide the user Library folder: in Terminal,

sudo chflags nohidden ~/Library/

will permanently unhide it for you

2) Find ~/Library/Caches/com.apple.audiounits.cache (or whichever cache file you need to keep) in your user folder

3) Move the file to a different location (i.e. not in the ~/Library/Caches/ folder or its subdirectories) while CCleaner deletes caches

4) Put it back!

After doing this, Logic’s own cache will have been deleted, but it won’t need to scan your Audio Units again. Problem solved.

However, this is quite tiresome as well, and not something you want to be doing every day. Apple advise that clearing caches needn’t be done very often, and that doing so will add to the time taken to load apps. Clean freaks won’t care much for that advice though…

The best solution would be for Piriform to include in an update to CCleaner the option to leave certain cache files, in the same way as can be done with cookies. Fix request please!