Disk partitions

Eldmannen

• 1 month later...

I would love to do this but doubt I can with only 80GB hard Drive.

My disk is only 80 gb too. But I have it partitioned.

C: - 20 gb. (Operating system, programs, games)

D: - 40 gb. (Media, music, movies)

E: - 20 gb.

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

If I could get a Raptor or other 10k drive I would partition it so that OS and games would be on the 70/130 GB drive,

with media, music, movies on whatever slower, 7200 drives I have lying around.

ATM however, I don't really have a need for it - so it's all one 160GB fat... thing... One C:/ for all my stuff plus the family pictures, videos, etc.

• 2 months later...

I have a 200GB hard drive that is only recognized as 128.

So i just partitioned the rest using disk management

Do I have to like install windows on that separate partition and stuff for the 50GB to work?

I want partition magic but dont want to spend $70...

• 1 month later...

I really like gparted live. Its linux boot up cd that is only a disc partitioner.(works very well and requires no linux knowledge)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Also this site is giving away paragons partitioner for free:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/216...on-manager-2005

I assume gparted works with windows? If it does, do you know of a good link for instructions on use? Also will this destroy info on existing partitions?

• 2 weeks later...
I assume gparted works with windows? If it does, do you know of a good link for instructions on use? Also will this destroy info on existing partitions?

I assume I assumed wrong.

I used Partition Manager 2005, worked great!

• Moderators
I really like gparted live. Its linux boot up cd that is only a disc partitioner.(works very well and requires no linux knowledge)

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

Also this site is giving away paragons partitioner for free:

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/downloads/216...on-manager-2005

Hi rridgely,

I`m picking your brains again here from your Nov. 23rd post re. partitions. (Yep, takes me awhile to get round this place).

Since I cracked the DVD backup method, I find I`m fragmenting my HD a lot with saving and deleting these big ISO files. So therefore having to defragment more often.

I`ve an 80gb HD, (big enough for me at the moment), with a 6gb recovery partition. Still 56gb free.

My idea is to make a seperate partition, maybe about 10gb to use simply for Decrypter and then Shrink files.

I intend deleting all files when DVD backup confirmed OK.

A: Is this possible with gparted, which I`ve just dl`d but not installed ?

B: Would this cause premature wear to this part of the HD moreso than the poss damage caused by too frequent defragmenting ?

Thanks

Regards

Edit: Just dl`d the Paragon one as well to try.

• Moderators

Ok, I should have checked this post sooner... I forgot I posted in it. :D

Gparted is a live linux cd. What you do is burn it to a disc as a imagefile and then boot into it. Don't worry though because its not really linux, it right away opens the partition program and its really simple.

--------------

Dennis I get what your saying. :D

That could work, but when you partition make sure that you defrag your hard drive before you make the partition.(this will help make sure you don't loose any data.) Also make sure you back up any data that you have on your hard drive that you would be sad if you lost before making the partition.

Since you already have paragon I would just use that. Its a nice program. :D

Partitioning the drive shouldn't wear it out any.(as long as your not doing it once a week or anything.)

If that didn't answer everything just let me know. :D

• Moderators

Yep man, that just about covers it.

Today I backed up everything to DVD, as I was planning a destructive recovery to clean out all the crap from the dozens of applications I`ve tried and discarded over the last 6 months.

After doing that would probably be the ideal time to setup another partition.

I liked the other ideas I`ve read in this thread. Partition for music, or in my case, downloaded art. I`m a big fan of art along the lines of Giger. Have found some amazing, wierd, bizarre, surreal and simply stunning examples of the power of the imagination.

And some of it definitely scary.

If anyone else is into Giger type stuff, will happily provide some links.

I`ll let you know how I get on.

Thanks

Regards

Today I backed up everything to DVD, as I was planning a destructive recovery to clean out all the crap from the dozens of applications I`ve tried and discarded over the last 6 months.

Good idea to make backup. Backup is always good to have. :)

I liked the other ideas I`ve read in this thread. Partition for music, or in my case, downloaded art.

Yes, you can have like D: (Music) and E: (Downloads) or you could have D:\Music\ and D:\Downloads\

firefoxblue4yw.gif

button_b.png hydrogen2nr.png

80x15_3.png

• 1 month later...
I have a 200GB hard drive that is only recognized as 128.

Sorry I just read this post. If you're still reading this thread, check the model # of your motherboard.

Usually older Pentium II and Pentium III mobo chipsets had problems with larger drives.

Search the Intel site or whatever site manufactured your mobo (or that of your computer manufacturer). See if there's been a BIOS upgrade.

With the latest upgrades all of the old mobos should recognize larger hard drives.

• 3 months later...

That would be a possible cause.

---

For anyone who has trouble finding out if they have SP2 installed:

Click 'Start'

Click 'Run'

Type winver

Click 'Ok'

This will display your windows version.

fireryone

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8 Special Edition + Complete Novice = Making new partition a piece of cake.

What a good programme this is to work with, although I must admit I had everything crossed while it was doing its thing.

Made a new 10gb partition successfully just using the New Partition Wizard.

My bit only took a minute or less. It was when the rebooting started, and the Paragon Engine took over that I had everything crossed. I have no experience of partitioning software, but to the novice eye, this seems to be a very slick operator.

Once everything was done, I quickly realised that like most new stuff we get, I needed a bigger one.

With this software, this was just as easy.

Advanced Partitioning Tasks > Redistribute Free Space Wizard.

30 seconds work. Paragon Engine does its thing. Job done. Now have a 25gb partition.

Thanks Eldmannen, for the Partitioning thread.

Thanks rridgely, for the initial Paragon software link and advice.

Thanks to Sputnik for his link back in April, to the Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8. Free.

:)

Thanks to Sputnik for his link back in April, to the Exclusive Computeractive Download Offer - Paragon Hard Disk Manager 8. Free.

Paragon HD Manager is still available free despite the offer running out months ago:

http://www.computeractive.co.uk/hdmanager8/index

(I've just downloaded it and received a serial from the 'Click here to register' link ;) )

• 1 month later...

IF you go ahead and create 2 partitions (1 for programs and the other for personal data) it is also good te change the location of the My Documents Folder. To do this, make sure you have the My Documents folder visible on your desktop (or in your startmenu). Right Click My Documents (on the desktop or the Start Menu) and choose Properties. As you can see, there are 3 buttons about half way on the window (because i use a dutch windows version i am going to assume a button name here). Click the one labeled with "Move" or "Relocate". Then choose the second partition that you have dedicated to (personal) data-drive and click OK, to confirm your selection. Click OK again and windows will ask you if you want to move everything from c:\documents and settings\username\my documents to d:\ and confirm this with a Yes (or OK). if you have much data in the c:\documents and settings\username\my documents folder, it will take a while to move all of it, but it will do the job. Now whenever you are trying to save something in the My Documents Folder, it is automaticly saved to the 2nd partition and thus a heck of a lot more safe. (also, many programs create folders in the My Documents folder for there own save files (also games do this often) and they are now also much safer then before...)