Seeking a job...

The New Guy

Hi, I suppose I'm continuing from one of my previous post, I think it was on that price of a new custom built PC one or something - yes, that's it! I said something about getting a job. Right....seeing how this is my first time....how should I procede with this? I've already chosen where to grab a job from, but I'm not sure what to do before getting serious....I heard some people just got rejected or ignored for some reason, they said, "all you have to do is hand in your resume, and that's it!" Well...I don't think that's quite all of it...hmmm, I'm stumped....and sort of lost too. I'm hoping that, if any of you guys got a job, could tell me how to properly and hopefully get a better chance of not being ignored or thrown out coz of some reason or rather.... :unsure:

The main reason being, of course, is to get money so I can build my dream gaming rig - if I can accumulate that much money... :rolleyes:

Thanks, :)

What you see is what you get. :)

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but I can list things that really help:

- If you have a friend who can recommend, that is a big +

- Dress sharply, & be clean

- Be sure you watch your manners, & be on your best P's & Q's

- Be confident, be calm, & if you don't get one job, keep trying!

I am sure others can give still more pointers

I cannot give you a definitive answer, but I can list things that really help:

- If you have a friend who can recommend, that is a big +

- Dress sharply, & be clean

- Be sure you watch your manners, & be on your best P's & Q's

- Be confident, be calm, & if you don't get one job, keep trying!

I am sure others can give still more pointers

Uh huh....like wearing pro black suites(professionalism?, or is casual good?)? What's P's and Q's? ...

What about the resume? what is supposed to be included in that? Am I able to use the same one I did to get into uni?

I am sure I typed "... show any Qualifications ..."

The old forum server cases me endless grief.

Oh yeah...didn't see that...sorry. Anything else from you about this could be helpful! What about the resume?? :unsure::wacko:

• Moderators

For your resume, have a read through some of these ...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&newwindow=1&safe=off&complete=0&site=webhp&source=hp&q=how+to+prepare+a+good+resume&btnG=Search

It's just a google search, but you should be able to pick out the most often mentioned points. Don't overdo it, and don't fib as it can catch up with you and bite you on the bum.

Make an effort to make the best "first impression" that you can, and that means appearance and initial attitude. It's an old but very good adage which says you will never get a second chance to make a first impression.

A nice smile and always offer a handshake, A firm handshake but don't break fingers.

Before an interview make a point of finding out as much as you can about the company, which will enable you to either ask questions or make observations about them during the interview. Very often the question comes up "What do you know about our company", or "Why do you want to work for our company"?

A little preparation can go a long way.

For your resume, have a read through some of these ...

http://www.google.co...ume&btnG=Search

It's just a google search, but you should be able to pick out the most often mentioned points. Don't overdo it, and don't fib as it can catch up with you and bite you on the bum.

...haha...yeah I know I could do a goodle search, but I thought posting here I would get a more definite answer...instead of gathering one point from one site, go find another, grab that one, and another take etc. until I get enough points, I combine them together....Here, I thought you guys might do all that for me as, I think, most of you already have a job....

- So, no lying...

- Try to keep in the same font

- Keep it to one page (not sure if it can be back and front.... :unsure: )

* use one font face and size

* type very simple

* check spaces and caps and small , gaps etc...

* ur resume is type in the following order

1. personal

2. edu qualification

3 . project

4. area of interest( ur interested subject )

5. achivements

6. point for self

7. hobbies

Taken from http://forums.sureshkumar.net/companies-info-recruitment-process/7979-how-prepare-good-resume.html

What do I include on my resume?

Here's a brief rundown on the essential things to include on your resume.

Personal details

Full name and contact details including address, telephone number(s) and email address.

Education and training

A summary of your education and training history, starting with your most recent studies, making sure you include all training that's relevant to the job you're applying for.

Employment history

Start with your most recent work history and work backwards chronologically, listing the name of the employer, your job title, the dates you worked there, and your responsibilities, tasks and achievements. Make sure you include everything that's relevant to the job.

Skills and abilities

A list of the things you're good at. These can be general skills or skills specific to a particular job. List them under broad headings such as "Communication" and "Teamwork".

Career objective (optional)

Tell the employer what type of job you want end up with; this shows that you've given thought to your future career.

Interests (optional)

A list of your hobbies and interests; this gives employers more information about you and also shows other areas of your life where you've gained experiences such as teamwork and commitment.

Referees

List people who can talk about how good a worker you are. Make sure you get their permission before including them on your resume. List their name, company name occupation, and contact details. For more information, look at our Who can be my referee page.

Taken from http://www.youthcentral.vic.gov.au/Jobs+&+Careers/Applying+for+jobs/How+to+write+a+resume/

What is a CV?

Curriculum Vitae: an outline of a person's educational and professional history, usually prepared for job applications (L, lit.: the course of one's life). Another name for a CV is a résumé.

Taken from: http://www.kent.ac.uk/careers/cv.htm Oh well, that answers my question what a CV is... :D I'm not sure with this one, because the one I used to get into uni had the the "curriculum Vitae" in big fonts at the first page in borders....so if that's a CV, I can use my uni CV as my job CV? If a CV is the same as a resume, then I can use my CV that I got to get into uni?

... and then it goes on...blah blah blah....so many sites to read and so little time to read all....

Make an effort to make the best "first impression" that you can, and that means appearance and initial attitude. It's an old but very good adage which says you will never get a second chance to make a first impression.
mmmm....like I did to get into uni? idk what I did, but I don't think I smiled or anything like that....

A nice smile and always offer a handshake, A firm handshake but don't break fingers.
What if the guy offers a handshake before I? Do I offer another one after that one, probably look and sound funny though.... Hahaha, break fingers!

Before an interview make a point of finding out as much as you can about the company, which will enable you to either ask questions or make observations about them during the interview. Very often the question comes up "What do you know about our company", or "Why do you want to work for our company"?

A little preparation can go a long way.

Hmmm...say the job or where I want to work is at some computer shop....what should I know about it? :wacko:

• Moderators

The google links should have helped you, for example, in maybe finding the best "template" for a resume, or CV as we call them over here.

If you've never done a CV before, and you don't have a history of different jobs to fill one with, then either design your own, or look for a template suitable to your situation, which appears to be fresh out of university. You don't need a CV which has spaces for your work history and the reasons for leaving different jobs etc..

A little reading, and you might find just what you want without designing your own, or leaving out essential information.

The suggestions were really aimed at someone looking for a career, who may be applying for jobs with moderate sized or large companies, and required to provide as professional looking a CV as they can.

Regardless, if you want to have some kind of advantage over the other people applying for a job, you have to do some preparation. Even if it's a one man operated computer shop, I'm sure he would be flattered if you told him his shop has a great reputation in the area for quality service, and you're sure you could learn a lot from him, as well as adding your own skills to his.

Have you any skills to offer him? What are your strong points?

Don't walk into any interview with absolutely nothing in your head, and if he shakes hands first, great, but don't offer a limp wrist in return.

And don't assume that anyone interviewing you actually knows the first thing about interviewing someone for a job. You will be surprised at how many "interviewers" don't have a clue about the process, and it wouldn't cross their minds to actually shake hands with you. They'll be as nervous as you, and a confident but not cocky attitude will help put them at ease.

First impressions again.

Big job or little job, if you want it my friend, you've got to make yourself a more attractive proposition to that company than the other guys.

And make sure you learn something from an interview. If you fail, learn from it, and take that knowledge to your next interview. If you're a young man, you may have quite a few interviews ahead of you.

Anyways, that's just some thoughts based upon experience.

• Moderators

What if the guy offers a handshake before I? Do I offer another one after that one, probably look and sound funny though.... Hahaha, break fingers!

Then shake his foot! :P Older men seem like they're trying to break fingers though when shaking hands for some odd reason.

If it's for a computer job it would help to mention what Microsoft Office applications you're familiar with and know how to use, i.e; Word, Excel, etc.

... I just only start...well a few months ago...

Many universities have services to help their students with job seeking. They call'em Student Placement Offices, Human Resource Programs, Guidance Counselors, and so on. If you have someone assigned to you as your advisor, aka Academic Advisor, he or she would be a big help. Sometimes the university itself has jobs that they more or less reserve for students.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to shuffle you off to someone else. And all the advice above is really good, imho. I'm just suggesting that face to face conversation with someone who knows the environment makes things easier.

edit: And I agree w/ Andavari, be prepared for the Gorilla Gripper. . .never have known why they do that. . .theories abound, mostly junk psychology. Probably some sort of dominance ploy. :)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

The google links should have helped you, for example, in maybe finding the best "template" for a resume, or CV as we call them over here.

If you've never done a CV before, and you don't have a history of different jobs to fill one with, then either design your own, or look for a template suitable to your situation, which appears to be fresh out of university. You don't need a CV which has spaces for your work history and the reasons for leaving different jobs etc..

A little reading, and you might find just what you want without designing your own, or leaving out essential information.

The suggestions were really aimed at someone looking for a career, who may be applying for jobs with moderate sized or large companies, and required to provide as professional looking a CV as they can.

Is this good enough, I made this myself - by the way, I also included some of my interests, hobbies abilities etc. in it. :)^_^ :CV.png

CV1.png

How is this? Is this any good? What else do I need to do? :unsure:

Regardless, if you want to have some kind of advantage over the other people applying for a job, you have to do some preparation. Even if it's a one man operated computer shop, I'm sure he would be flattered if you told him his shop has a great reputation in the area for quality service, and you're sure you could learn a lot from him, as well as adding your own skills to his.

Have you any skills to offer him? What are your strong points?

Hmmm, I that's actually a hard question to answer....if this guy owns a computer shop, surely he'd know everything about computers making me feel like it's probably best not to even bother with my luck...:(:unsure:

Don't walk into any interview with absolutely nothing in your head, and if he shakes hands first, great, but don't offer a limp wrist in return.
Hehehe....so, I'll just let it be if he/she which in this case is a he offers first.

And don't assume that anyone interviewing you actually knows the first thing about interviewing someone for a job. You will be surprised at how many "interviewers" don't have a clue about the process, and it wouldn't cross their minds to actually shake hands with you. They'll be as nervous as you, and a confident but not cocky attitude will help put them at ease.
...:unsure:

First impressions again.

Big job or little job, if you want it my friend, you've got to make yourself a more attractive proposition to that company than the other guys.

...I feel....now worthless....if there are others' doing the same thing and probably doing this with the help of their own degree....or better abilities....

And make sure you learn something from an interview. If you fail, learn from it, and take that knowledge to your next interview. If you're a young man, you may have quite a few interviews ahead of you.

Anyways, that's just some thoughts based upon experience.

Okay, I'll learn next time, from my mistakes, if I make any...or know what I did wrong, otherwise, I'd be more prone to do it again...:unsure:

Then shake his foot! :P Older men seem like they're trying to break fingers though when shaking hands for some odd reason.

If it's for a computer job it would help to mention what Microsoft Office applications you're familiar with and know how to use, i.e; Word, Excel, etc.

...oooo....:unsure: better not let them break my fingers, that'll hurt! Maybe two can play at that game!^_^:D Hehehe...or am I not allowed to do that?

Okay...applications...hmm....I'll improvise...hehehe...or try to remember...

Many universities have services to help their students with job seeking. They call'em Student Placement Offices, Human Resource Programs, Guidance Counselors, and so on. If you have someone assigned to you as your advisor, aka Academic Advisor, he or she would be a big help. Sometimes the university itself has jobs that they more or less reserve for students.

Please don't misunderstand, I'm not trying to shuffle you off to someone else. And all the advice above is really good, imho. I'm just suggesting that face to face conversation with someone who knows the environment makes things easier.

edit: And I agree w/ Andavari, be prepared for the Gorilla Gripper. . .never have known why they do that. . .theories abound, mostly junk psychology. Probably some sort of dominance ploy. :)

...hm, I'll try to get my Learning Advisor in this, hehehe...^_^ She might help me out with this kind of thing...hopefully...:)

eeeeep. So what am I suppose to do if I feel that this guy's trying to break my fingers? Do I squeeze back even harder? Make a handshake squeeze war? heheh, probably not inappropriate but still...actually best not to do that at all, I have minimal squeezing power in my hand....so I would probably lose the war...:lol:

• Moderators

Kiddin' of course. Somebody told me that years ago as a variation on a masonic hand shake (which it isn't), and I always imagined the look it would create on an interviewers face.

You'd be remembered for sure, but I somehow think the job wouldn't follow.

I like your curriculum vitae by the way, looks just right for your situation, and probably better than a lot of people would put together.

I feel....now worthless....if there are others' doing the same thing and probably doing this with the help of their own degree....or better abilities....

Don't be daft (and I mean that in a nice way). I've seen peoples applications go into the bin simply because their letter of application or CV contained spelling mistakes. And people who should know better turning up for interviews looking like they'd just rolled out of bed.

Just try and give yourself an edge by getting the basics right, and I'm sure you've got skills and strong points.

Being punctual and reliable are strong points. Being a good communicator is a skill. So make sure you mention simple things like that because not everyone thinks to. Depending upon the job, it isn't always about qualifications.

I'm sure you'll do well simply because you're taking the time to ask for advice, and going by the CV you've put together, you already have an idea about preparation.

And don't tickle the interviewers hand by the way. :)

Kiddin' of course. Somebody told me that years ago as a variation on a masonic hand shake (which it isn't), and I always imagined the look it would create on an interviewers face.

You'd be remembered for sure, but I somehow think the job wouldn't follow.

Right.....

I like your curriculum vitae by the way, looks just right for your situation, and probably better than a lot of people would put together.
Thankyou, sir! :) . Is it because of the borders I put? something else or just how it's layout?

Don't be daft (and I mean that in a nice way). I've seen peoples applications go into the bin simply because their letter of application or CV contained spelling mistakes. And people who should know better turning up for interviews looking like they'd just rolled out of bed.

Just try and give yourself an edge by getting the basics right, and I'm sure you've got skills and strong points.

:unsure: Yeah, had a uni class mate who tried to get a job at some pet store...hasn't got a call yet even though he handed his resume directly to the store manager and he also had a friend that would always remind her to call him which she hasn't yet...that's the kind of feeling I have right now if after I hand in my CV(once I finish it with all the details) directly to the store manager or staff who will and then wait for a call for an interview to realize they either forgotten or didn't like my CV... :(<_<

Okay. do they make the interview time (if I get to that stage) or am I allowed to define an appropriate interview time? Could mean the difference between me being very tired/sleepy and me being very active/energetic.

Being punctual and reliable are strong points. Being a good communicator is a skill. So make sure you mention simple things like that because not everyone thinks to. Depending upon the job, it isn't always about qualifications.
Okay, gotta be formal, no immature act... ^_^ or at least act like some kid...

And don't tickle the interviewers hand by the way. :)

Hahaha... ^_^ I sure will. :lol: Wait - there's more than one person doing the interview? I thought I was (if I get here) to only interview one guy and that's it... :unsure:

Oh, I almost forgot:

- Is the CV really all I need to hand in directly to the staff or do I need to hand in something else as well?

- Do I need also inform that I'm currently studying at uni in my CV or not, or do I give that info out when during the interview if they ask pr not if they don't?

:unsure:

• Moderators

Handing in your CV would probably be fine, but I've always (a long time ago now) placed a CV inside an envelope addressed to the main guy, and to include a short covering letter, also addressed to the main guy.

It just has to be simple such as ...

"Please find enclosed my curriculum vitae, which I hope you will find to be of interest.

Should you require any further information, I would be pleased to supply it.

Yours Faithfully,

The New Guy. (I would suggest putting your real name here. :lol: )

A couple of points on the CV itself, if you don't mind the observations.

You have a nice space above "Awards and Achievements". Put the same space above the other sections.

And I would take out from the first section the last line regarding transport. It isn't needed, or relevant at all to a CV. Your name and address etc is all that's required there.

Just my opinion of course, and entirely up to yourself.

And yes, the way you have it constructed with borders looks very good. A job well done. :)

If your studies leave you with spare time at evenings or weekends,

and if you only have a short walk to get there,

perhaps your covering letter could suggest a trial part time job.

It might not get you the Big Bucks you want for your gaming machine,

but getting your "foot in the door" before you all graduate would not do any harm.

Additionally your prospective boss might be happier to make a smaller cheap offer of a Saturday morning job so you can both see how you work together,

rather than a more expensive commitment of fully equipping you and setting up pensions schemes and then you both part.

So, it's all good if I just walked up to the shop, flash out my CV to one of the shop clerk which is usually one behind the counter and say:

Me: "Hey...uhhhh....I got my CV with me, care to call out your store manager or your boss?"

Staff: "sure."

Boss: "Hello there, I see another prospective liking my shop." [staff just stands there waiting for another customer to walk in]

Me: "Yeah...."

Boss: "Well, got your CV with ya?"

Me: "Yeah, I do." [hands the CV to the boss]

Boss: "Hmmm....alright, go home and I'll give you a ring sometime for an interview."

Me: "Okay...." [i slowly walk backwards towards the exit]

Boss: "Cheers - have a nice day."

Me: "Yeah, you too" [Walks out in a happy mood, hoping the boss will call for that interview...]

Do you think above is how it's gonna play out? Or is there more to this? That's just only a simuation of what I think will happen when the next I walk in with my CV in my hand....

Okay, how's my CV this time: CV-2.png

ooo...font's different this time.... :unsure: will it look like this version when it's printed out or the other?

Alan_B

Yeah, of course I will be doing part time! :lol: for now till June....but after that, I wouldn't mind working the entire 5 day week (Monday to Friday) waking up at maybe 9 or 10am and come home at about 5PM or something....Thus leaving me free time during the non-working hours and the Saturday and Sunday too. Of course this will eventually go back to part time(if they allow it) because I will be back at uni next year....full year this time for three or so years.... ^_^ Probably won't have time for work then....

Hopefully by that time, I'd earn enough money to build my dream gaming PC.... ^_^ If not...I'll continue until I do....hopefully not after the end of 2014.... :unsure:

Do I really need covering letter too? :unsure::wacko:

• Moderators

You are being unrealistic if you think you will be able to get hours which suit your lifestyle. You just have to take what you can get if you want to earn money.

Part time jobs are often in the evening, or early morning and Saturdays and Sundays.

It's just a fact of working life.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

You are being unrealistic if you think you will be able to get hours which suit your lifestyle. You just have to take what you can get if you want to earn money.

Part time jobs are often in the evening, or early morning and Saturdays and Sundays.

It's just a fact of working life.

Oh <_< - so they make the time and I either I have to accept it or not, right? :mellow::wacko: ....which includes full-time work too? :D I thought you could choose when... :wacko: