Defraggler for the Win9x line?

The New Guy

Hi,

I don't know, but I'm just too attached to older OSs....Is there one for the windows 9x/ME line?

Also, if there is one, is it better than the integrated windows' defragmenter?

Thanks.

What you see is what you get. :)

• Moderators

...um....hmmmm...what's that?

http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

New Guy, although there isn't one available for Windows ME, you might can still run it via Kernel Ex project. -> http://sourceforge.net/projects/kernelex/

Try that & let me know if it works. The project is designed to allow programs that normally only work in Windows 2000 & XP to work in 98/ME.

Do let me know if it does work for you, because I haven't had time to try it yet, but I am very interested in knowing if it does work.

New Guy, although there isn't one available for Windows ME, you might can still run it via Kernel Ex project. -> http://sourceforge.n...jects/kernelex/

Try that & let me know if it works. The project is designed to allow programs that normally only work in Windows 2000 & XP to work in 98/ME.

Do let me know if it does work for you, because I haven't had time to try it yet, but I am very interested in knowing if it does work.

Sure, just need some time to see to it. :)

I will look into that...thanks! :)

Hmm, KernalEx isn't wokring as I had previously thought. By surprise, they also added in the ability to emulate other OSs, like VISTA, 2000 and 2008 etc. Interesting, I might say. But still even with the other emulations, they don't work... :(

2 and 3 will give you what I mean by emulating other OSs on top of 2000 and XP: post-61541-0-89449700-1335270508_thumb.pngpost-61541-0-99079800-1335270516_thumb.png...incase you were lost.... :)

After install, run.png is what I got....post-61541-0-57778500-1335270525_thumb.png -_-

And lastly, when I try to run it again, this happenned: post-61541-0-49974800-1335270518_thumb.png Looks like, unless you have the required files that are on XP, on ME, you won't be able to run it.... :(

Nice try helping, Super Fast, but it would seem that unless I have that and possibly more files already installed, I'd be able to run it....After all, all this program does is emulate windows, but doesn't "really" give you the full native emulation....unless of course this program had a plugin that would have those files necessary to run installed, so I can run it...which, so far, I cannot see it.

I'm still getting to BartPE....I need more time...damn assessments from uni.... <_<

That's very interesting.

_____

I have another thing you can try that may or may not get it to work. Try downloading unicows.dll & sending it to a FAT/FAT32 formatted flash drive.

Then copy kernel32.dll from either an XP, Vista, or 7 machine to the flash drive as well.

Open your Defraggler program files folder (C:/Program Files/Defraggler) & copy both the unicows.dll & kernel32.dll into the Defraggler folder.

Make sure Defraggler is closed, then try loading it again. If this fails:

Copy the kernel32.dll that you sent to the flash drive earlier, to C:\Windows\System32 in your Windows ME installation & try to load Defraggler again.

_____

While I have no guarantee this will work, I know that defraggler uses Kernel32 & it is worth a try.

Windows XP/Vista/7 use C:\Windows\System32 folder for their system files, & Windows 98/ME use C:\Windows\System for theirs. So you don't have to worry about overwriting system files.

I know 100% that Win98 = C:\Windows\System for it's system files, & I am almost 99% certain it is that way in ME as well, so you may want to check to be for sure. At any rate, do write back to let me know if this fixes the kernel32 problem, or if it still exists.

_____

* Kernel EX isn't perfect, but they are open source, & they are improving. I am sure if you sent a suggestion to them concerning Defraggler not working because of the Kernel32.dll error, they would try to fix it & have it working for a future version.

They are always adding new programs that used to only work in XP & higher, so it will help them a lot if you post your problem. I do not think it is because it has trouble emulating XP & higher, but rather that the Kernel32 files needed are missing or not being emulated. So do write/email/post on their forum if you get time, because this would be beneficial to a lot of users.

I am surprised they also added 2008/Vista/etc, but that is great!

That's very interesting.

yes, it is interesting, isn't it? [whispers -> false advertising....]

I have another thing you can try that may or may not get it to work. Try downloading unicows.dll & sending it to a FAT/FAT32 formatted flash drive.

Then copy kernel32.dll from either an XP, Vista, or 7 machine to the flash drive as well.

Open your Defraggler program files folder (C:/Program Files/Defraggler) & copy both the unicows.dll & kernel32.dll into the Defraggler folder.

Make sure Defraggler is closed, then try loading it again. If this fails:

Copy the kernel32.dll that you sent to the flash drive earlier, to C:\Windows\System32 in your Windows ME installation & try to load Defraggler again.

Tried both locations, apparently when I try to place it in windows, Kernel32.dll is being used!!?? I guessing it's from KernelEx....Kernel32.dll.bmp I used the XP's one.

While I have no guarantee this will work, I know that defraggler uses Kernel32 & it is worth a try.

Windows XP/Vista/7 use C:\Windows\System32 folder for their system files, & Windows 98/ME use C:\Windows\System for theirs. So you don't have to worry about overwriting system files.

I know 100% that Win98 = C:\Windows\System for it's system files, & I am almost 99% certain it is that way in ME as well, so you may want to check to be for sure. At any rate, do write back to let me know if this fixes the kernel32 problem, or if it still exists.

Are you sure it's just this one file and not another(s)?

Unless you changed your install directory....yeah, I got WINDOWS as well for Windows ME...

* Kernel EX isn't perfect, but they are open source, & they are improving. I am sure if you sent a suggestion to them concerning Defraggler not working because of the Kernel32.dll error, they would try to fix it & have it working for a future version.
Doing that after this....and see for reply.

They are always adding new programs that used to only work in XP & higher, so it will help them a lot if you post your problem. I do not think it is because it has trouble emulating XP & higher, but rather that the Kernel32 files needed are missing or not being emulated. So do write/email/post on their forum if you get time, because this would be beneficial to a lot of users.
That's what I was trying to express... ^_^ but my crappy English... :P

I am surprised they also added 2008/Vista/etc, but that is great!

Yeah, it's great, they should update their description. :)

Did you download unicows.dll also? I do believe it needs both of them.

I am not sure if having both of them will make it work in the older OS, but it's worth trying. You can try copying unicows.dll & kernel32.dll into both:

C:\Program Files\Defraggler

C:\Windows\System32

The reason is, the system32 is the system area on XP/Vista/7, but the system area in 98/ME is C:\Windows\System as far as I can recall. Which means the System32 area of ME should be free of the normal system files.

If it did not work in C:\Windows, either Windows or Kernel EX placed it there, which is why I did not recommend either of those. Windows won't let you overwrite files that are in use, & chances are that if you replaced it on reboot, it will crash the older Windows because of function calls being located in different places than expected. So I do recommend that if adding unicows.dll doesn't work, to try contacting them to let them know, & they will probably add it in future versions. They will be happy to know so they can add support for that.

Alternatively, you may try the defrag.exe from XP/Vista/7 system areas & see if it will support running those. I am sure they will require dependencies (probably) but worth a try!

A lot of applications require .net 3.5, so that may be interesting to install as well. I wish I had more time to experiment, & I would see if I could get it going.

Did you download unicows.dll also? I do believe it needs both of them.

That file was needed even for just installing KernelEx....So yes, I already had that file in system under windows folder. -_-

I am not sure if having both of them will make it work in the older OS, but it's worth trying. You can try copying unicows.dll & kernel32.dll into both:

C:\Program Files\Defraggler

C:\Windows\System32

Okay, it was either that or the other. I will try both this tiem asn what the outcome is. ^_^

The reason is, the system32 is the system area on XP/Vista/7, but the system area in 98/ME is C:\Windows\System as far as I can recall. Which means the System32 area of ME should be free of the normal system files.
Yes.."should" be free....

If it did not work in C:\Windows, either Windows or Kernel EX placed it there, which is why I did not recommend either of those. Windows won't let you overwrite files that are in use, & chances are that if you replaced it on reboot, it will crash the older Windows because of function calls being located in different places than expected. So I do recommend that if adding unicows.dll doesn't work, to try contacting them to let them know, & they will probably add it in future versions. They will be happy to know so they can add support for that.
Hm, it could crash because of different Kernel32.dll file version....I've already contacted the developer of the KernelEx by sending the guy a message....hasn't replied yet....maybe I should try the forums....if they let me...

Alternatively, you may try the defrag.exe from XP/Vista/7 system areas & see if it will support running those. I am sure they will require dependencies (probably) but worth a try!
So you want me to install this program on either XP, VISTA or 7 and just copy paste the files from there to my WinME directory of Defraggler? Or do you wan me to use XP, VISTA or 7 to defrag that hardrive using Defraggler in native OS? :unsure:

A lot of applications require .net 3.5, so that may be interesting to install as well. I wish I had more time to experiment, & I would see if I could get it going.

Well, I don't remember Defraggler requiring MS .NET 3.5... <_< ..and I don't think there's one for Windows ME OS or Windows 98 SE.... :(

What I mean is, in C:\Windows\System32 of Windows 7, there is defrag.exe

Since you installed KernelEX & Defraggler doesn't seem to work, would Windows 7 defrag.exe work if you copied it over to Windows ME?

If not, what about the defrag util with Vista or XP?

Do not confuse the .exe with dfrgui in the C:\Windows\System32, as this is not the actual defrag program. Of course, you could copy both of them over, to be sure, and try clicking both of them. Copy dfrgui & also defrag.exe to C:\Windows\System32 & see if it works.

I asked about .Net, because even if Defraggler doesn't use it, there is a Vista version of Yahoo that they released a while back with matrix mode IM (See up to 9 IM in a tic tac toe design all at once) as well as other cool features before they discontinued it. It did not normally work in XP, but if you installed .net 3.5, then it did work in XP. So, since you have the emulator installed, thought it would be cool to test if it did work with that or not.

But anyway, if you want to try the suggestion above, then be sure to let me know if the new suggestion works or not. Sorry for any confusion, & if you ever are confused, ask me. I'll be more than glad to assist you any way possible. If possible. :)

Hm, looks like BartPE is just making a live bootable CD/DVD windows disc....might help, but I want to do this natively under windows ME or 98se...

:)

What I mean is, in C:\Windows\System32 of Windows 7, there is defrag.exe

Since you installed KernelEX & Defraggler doesn't seem to work, would Windows 7 defrag.exe work if you copied it over to Windows ME?

If not, what about the defrag util with Vista or XP?

Do not confuse the .exe with dfrgui in the C:\Windows\System32, as this is not the actual defrag program. Of course, you could copy both of them over, to be sure, and try clicking both of them. Copy dfrgui & also defrag.exe to C:\Windows\System32 & see if it works.

Tried both, dfgui.exe and defrag.exe from windows 7, my XP didn't have dfgui.exe only found defrag.exe though - still didn't work...The XP one showed the same error, the windows 7 one showed, something different:( -_-, upload failed....but got another way :) I can't do VISTA's as I don't have VISTA OS computer at home... :P9.png

Also, KernelEx doesn't show up on the file properties... :wacko:Where is it??Where's the tab??? 8.png

I asked about .Net, because even if Defraggler doesn't use it, there is a Vista version of Yahoo that they released a while back with matrix mode IM (See up to 9 IM in a tic tac toe design all at once) as well as other cool features before they discontinued it. It did not normally work in XP, but if you installed .net 3.5, then it did work in XP. So, since you have the emulator installed, thought it would be cool to test if it did work with that or not.
Well, this is the result, regardless what OS I'm emulating to run the installer, both from exe and another from extracted version:c82895e4.png

No progress yet on my question asked on Source Forge's forums, but some spammer... -_-<_< which is now deleted... :P:lol:

This is offtopic but I've to ask why are you using Win98 (or older)? :D

-_- I'm sure the moderator(s)/Admin(s) will delete you post ahahaha! :lol::P

But since you asked(and I'm nice enough to reply to this "off topic" reply of yours :)^_^ ), and before the moderator(s)/Admin(s) decide to take action before you see this; the answer's simple - Because I still got old ass, and I mean olllldd ass computers that cannot run on newer OS without error/performance hit. That and the fact that I prefer to play old games and run old applications on old OSs, because some of them won't run on newer OSs or will run but with errors and some other crap. I also grew up with a windows 95 computer, believe it or not! And since then I grew quite attached to old OSs... :rolleyes:

Besides...old computers can do just almost the things I would do on my laptop: type up word docs, play games go on the internet etc. They are backup in case my other computers crapped out on me or I can't be bother booting them and using my good old Windows 98 SE computer. ^_^

And top of that, yes - I do know of the compatibility tab on 2000 and newer OSs, but they always don't work...they might start good, but eventually end up as without using compatibility settings. -_- So it's better off to start programs/games on what OS(s) they were officially supported on. Haha, you might be lucky to run something on Windows ME, even though it doesn't say on the box or readme file that it supports ME...But that's just luck - gotta try it some time.

And one more thing, I don't know if this is true or not, but if it is, then there's no OS emulator that works 100% without error of some kind. Thus, I've experienced KernelEx, which is one example why, they are useless and I don't even bother to search them and/or try downloading them. :)

@The New Guy.

As you can see I have removed the links to spam which you seemed to think was amusing to copy and paste here from another forum.

oooops, yeah - sorry about that, Hazelnut. :D I guess that's probably why they deleted it on that forum. :) Now my reply on that forum makes no sense now... :unsure: and I can't delete it or edit it to something else either... :blink: I guess I'll just leave it there... I was only pointing out what was said in the reply, that's all - just to let everyone know how my question's going in that forum. :)

New Guy, sorry if none of the suggestions I gave you yet worked.

I don't have an older PC that will support Windows ME at the moment, but I do know what you are talking about concerning DOS games. I have a race driver game with steering wheel & gas & brake pedal that will not run under XP or higher, even under emulation mode. But it works great under 98/ME.

They never released an updated version that runs in higher OS, but I intend to get me a box that will work with it one day, just for old times sake.

So far as KernelEX, I won't go so far as to say they are worthless. I have read about some of the research & problems they have been working on fixing, & to tell you the truth, I was amazed at some of the things they are able to do. I would have said it was impossible, but some of the things they accomplished inspired me.

If I ever run across an old box that supports ME, I may do a little testing myself & see what I can do. I tried ME under various virtual machines, but I had a few problems that did not arise in using just Win ME by itself.

So sorry if I have not been of help to you, but I hope in the future to have a solution of sorts.

New Guy, sorry if none of the suggestions I gave you yet worked.

That's alright, at least you tried and that's what makes me happy here at Piriform's official forum. :) (probably why I like official forums... :) )

I don't have an older PC that will support Windows ME at the moment, but I do know what you are talking about concerning DOS games. I have a race driver game with steering wheel & gas & brake pedal that will not run under XP or higher, even under emulation mode. But it works great under 98/ME.

They never released an updated version that runs in higher OS, but I intend to get me a box that will work with it one day, just for old times sake.

Yeah, I also meant some windows games and programs too. It's best to just let it run on what it was officially supported on. I don't have any hardware that only works on older OSs...I just only got programs and games.... ;)

So far as KernelEX, I won't go so far as to say they are worthless. I have read about some of the research & problems they have been working on fixing, & to tell you the truth, I was amazed at some of the things they are able to do. I would have said it was impossible, but some of the things they accomplished inspired me.
Well, I didn't mean it was that much worthless, but personally from the descriptions as it was stated, it didn't say that it will work for anything. But then again it doesn't say it won't work for anything so that just leaves me saying - I take back what I said. :) However, of course from personal experience with this, I can say that it probably won't work for some programs and will sometimes work for others. ;)

Yeah, I also would have said it's impossible...maybe some programs/games run on this, but others don't and are missing some core files from windows 2000 and newer OSs that makes the program/game run...No emulator is perfect in it's area of intentions.... :(

If I ever run across an old box that supports ME, I may do a little testing myself & see what I can do. I tried ME under various virtual machines, but I had a few problems that did not arise in using just Win ME by itself.

So sorry if I have not been of help to you, but I hope in the future to have a solution of sorts.

Yep, and that's why you don't throw away your old computer! ^_^:P I guess I would've stopped my mum throwing out my windows 95 computer but it was too late... :( But I guess, because of my ignorance of computers, and was my first time ever too, I screwed it up - hardware side...I guess it was right for mum to throw it out; it didn't even work anymore....But I could've used the case for another computer! :D