DVD/CD Player MEGA Problem

Ultimate Predator

I don't know, I suppose you'd also have to start Windows without the drive plugged in, then shutdown Windows plug the drive back in, and then start Windows with it plugged in. Although I doubt that would really fix it since I'm assuming the drive info/configuration is probably either missing in the registry, or if WinXP uses anything like Win98 the info is missing from a hardware configuration file stored on the hard disk.

Hmm, I think I might give it a go, it might help, but isn't just one drive thats buggered, its both of my CD drives and my Floppy drive (says all the floppy disks I put in their aren't formatted when they are).

Use at your own risk:

I remembered that JV16 PowerTools (commercial software, not freeware) had a hardware reset feature built into it, I'm not sure if other programs have this ability. BUT it details Windows having to reinstall ALL hardware. I remember trying it on my Win98 system just before I was about to format and I noticed the big mess it made, luckily I was minutes away from doing a format anyways so it really didn't matter.

What are oyu saying that this is a program I could use? Or are you saying it is a possible effect if I was to to start Windows without the drive plugged in, then shutdown Windows plug the drive back in, and then start Windows with it plugged in?

Edit:

Check the BIOS settings and make sure the drive is enabled in the BIOS.

Where are they?

I really do appreciate the help you are giving me here, even if the problem isn't fixed, I am stil very thankfull.

And I'm checking that cdgone.zip patch....

25187[/snapback]

I think your problem sounds similar to mine...see MY CD Drive's are not there....I have been trying everything today. I checked out the link that was suggested, but that fix cdgone.zip patch has a date from 1999..2002. I seem to have had this problem when I downloaded the last version of ccleaner and ran it. I must have removed something. Someone suggested removing some registry values and I am really afraid to do that. I have a CODE 41...something to do with Easy CD Creator..I am not sure about removing these registry entries...

When I reboot the system, the lights flash on my 2 CD drives as if they are there, but my system does not recognize them...

Any ideas??

the cdgone.zip patch....is that a current patch??

• Moderators
What are you saying that this is a program I could use?

Where are they?

25225[/snapback]

You could use it, but at your own risk!

More clearly explained: I'm saying that program JV16 PowerTools has a built-in feature that will remove all current hardware settings from a system, which will cause Windows to re-detect them. The warning "use at your own risk" was because I noticed when I had used it on my Win98 system (just as a test mind you) that it really created a mess, e.g.; more problems versus just formatting.

The BIOS settings are in your system boot menu, e.g.; on some systems you press the F2 or F12 key when you see the Windows logo before the system starts, then you enter the BIOS settings to make sure all drives are detected in the BIOS and enabled via the BIOS.

the cdgone.zip patch....is that a current patch??

25229[/snapback]

I don't know if it's current or not, it was something I just stumbled upon purely by accident or coincidence and remembered this thread started by Ulimate Predator.

-----

I would think that Microsoft "may" or "should" have some KB article about this issue, try searching Microsoft Help & Support.

More clearly explained: I'm saying that program JV16 PowerTools has a built-in feature that will remove all current hardware settings from a system, which will cause Windows to re-detect them. The warning "use at your own risk" was because I noticed when I had used it on my Win98 system (just as a test mind you) that it really created a mess, e.g.; more problems versus just formatting.

The BIOS settings are in your system boot menu, e.g.; on some systems you press the F2 or F12 key when you see the Windows logo before the system starts, then you enter the BIOS settings to make sure all drives are detected in the BIOS and enabled via the BIOS.

I don't know if it's current or not, it was something I just stumbled upon purely by accident or coincidence and remembered this thread started by Ulimate Predator.

-----

I would think that Microsoft "may" or "should" have some KB article about this issue, try searching Microsoft Help & Support.

25230[/snapback]

I was about to go there and try to find an answer. Meanwhile I removed Easy CD Creator...no change..I didn't think it would

I check System/Device Manager/DVD....both my drives have a yellow symbol with an point ! in the middle...when I click properties this is what is stated:

Windows successfully loaded the device driver for this hardware but cannot find the hardware device. (Code 41)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.

I tried that ....no good...so now I am off the check out Microsoft...thanks

I see what you mean now, thanks for telling me.

I'll give that a check soon.

• Moderators

I'm starting to think the disappearing drive issue may actually be a problem in Windows or some commonly installed software that many people are using, and not completely related to the Sony Rootkit. The reason I'm thinking this way is because my first OEM install of WinXP had no detected malware, didn't have the Sony Rootkit, etc., and my floppy drive just vanished one day, and my ERUNT backup and System Restore backup from the day before didn't fix the problem.

• Moderators
Did the re-plug thingy, nothing happened, taking it into a workshop...

25434[/snapback]

I figured no amount of "tinkering" would work.

Once your system is fixed and running properly I'd highly recommend that you make a whole system backup, you can use the built-in Microsoft Backup utility to do such a full backup. Use it by running: Start > Run > "%SystemRoot%\system32\ntbackup.exe"

Once your system is fixed and running properly I'd highly recommend that you make a whole system backup, you can use the built-in Microsoft Backup utility to do such a full backup. Use it by running: Start > Run > "%SystemRoot%\system32\ntbackup.exe"

25438[/snapback]

OK..here it is. Somewhere along the way someone suggested a fix in the registry. I have been on this all day. I went to the Dell Website support forum. I finally got it. I deleted the upper key and lower keys in the HLKM..etc. The drives are up and running.

I had checked in my device manager for the drives and had a CODE 41..this other guy had a CODE 39...same fix. We are both happy.

Just thought I would pass along..not sure why this happened?? I did however delete some other subkey under the HLKM\current\controlset\control\class....etc. not sure what problem may arise from that????

I assume I do it without the " marks, so just that; %SystemRoot%\system32\ntbackup.exe

If I do that, and if I ever needed to, how would I restore it?

• Moderators
If I do that, and if I ever needed to, how would I restore it?

25548[/snapback]

Well if you had to reinstall Windows you'd do just that, reinstall it, and once Windows loaded you'd just double click the backup file since it's a registered file type for Microsoft Backup it will automatically open. You then restore your system. I'd recommend if you place the backup on dvd that you first copy it to your hard disk.

• Moderators

...continued. There are some cases when a Microsoft Backup just plain fails to put things correctly, if that were to happen you'd have to format and reinstall Windows again the normal way, e.g.; doing it all manually without using the backup.

• Moderators
Cripes, sounds like a lot of work just for a backup! Might, backup just to harddisk, it won't alter anything, will it, and is it a large backup?

25560[/snapback]

It's not that much work versus reinstalling everything from scratch. Also if you backup to a hard disk make sure you aren't saving the backup on drive C:\ instead choose a different hard disk or partition, however for the best safety backup to DVD or CD. If you backup to DVD or CD you'll probably have to use your zipping software to zip the backup and then split it into multiple pieces for each disc.

• Moderators
OK..here it is. Somewhere along the way someone suggested a fix in the registry. I have been on this all day. I went to the Dell Website support forum. I finally got it. I deleted the upper key and lower keys in the HLKM..etc. The drives are up and running.

I had checked in my device manager for the drives and had a CODE 41..this other guy had a CODE 39...same fix. We are both happy.

Just thought I would pass along..not sure why this happened?? I did however delete some other subkey under the HLKM\current\controlset\control\class....etc. not sure what problem may arise from that????

25442[/snapback]

If I had known you had a Dell I would have told you to download Dell Driver Reset Tool, it can fix allot of stuff. However since you've fixed it it's too late to tell you.

"HLKM\Current\Controlset\Control\Class" has a load of stuff in there, hardware related from what I could tell looking at a few subkeys on my system. I don't know what you can expect to happen or if you've broken anything. Hopefully Windows will automatically detect all your devices again or automatically restore that section from a last known good configuration.

• Moderators
How big is the backup then? If its a lot f fuss, I might leave it, just do an erunt backup or something (I don't fiddle with Windows files much), I'll se ehow it goes, yeah?

25629[/snapback]

A full system backup would be the same amount you currently have on your hard disk viewable in My Computer. However if you compress the backup, it will be much smaller.

Your cd and dvd drives are pissing me the hell off, and im also mad cuz you changed your avatar, you got some stpupid swordsman, Jack Nicholson from one flew over the cuckoos nest was the BEST! Give me your mailing address i might send you new cd drives lol.

IPB Image

Insert random C4 joke here.

If I had known you had a Dell I would have told you to download Dell Driver Reset Tool, it can fix allot of stuff. However since you've fixed it it's too late to tell you.

"HLKM\Current\Controlset\Control\Class" has a load of stuff in there, hardware related from what I could tell looking at a few subkeys on my system. I don't know what you can expect to happen or if you've broken anything. Hopefully Windows will automatically detect all your devices again or automatically restore that section from a last known good configuration.

25638[/snapback]

Thanks...I deleted a few subkeys(FOLDERS) under the {4D36E965-E25-11CD-BFC1-08002BE10318}, BUT ONLY DELETED THE UPPER AND LOWER FILTERS ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE SCREEN UNDER THIS KEY. What a nightmare figuring all this out. I was about to give it all up and call a technician!

I think you may have suggested this Dell Reset before, someone did. I tried the Dell Driver Reset Tool...did not work for me. Not sure why. I had bought a "DELL" from a third party...not doing that again. I found out while searching Dell Site, my Service Tag, etc on the pc, but I am not registered with them...I may check into this since I do own the pc, it is just that I bought it from someone else, he delivered the pc which does not say Dell, and when windows starts up there is no Dell Logo, but turns out it is really a DELL, which I found out later on. I paid way too much, and he basically screwed me over.....I will only buy directly from the manufacturer now because I did this once before. I guess I did not learn my lesson the first time.

Thanks!

• Moderators
I think you may have suggested this Dell Reset before, someone did. I tried the Dell Driver Reset Tool...did not work for me.

25950[/snapback]

Yeah I did suggest it, I was just looking at the thread you started about your drives. I completely forgot that I had posted a link to it.