Command-line registry cleaner... please? :)

I'm sure it's been requested before, but is there any chance of a command-line registry cleanup being added?

I understand that this could be used by the inexperienced and cause all kinds of mayhem, but this feature would be an INCREDIBLE benefit, particularly to SysAdmins and those using RMM software packages (that's me). And let's face it, the same argument for misuse could be made about the GUI version, yet I don't know what we'd all do without it!

The command-line registry cleaner could require you set a registry backup location before allowing you to make changes. Unless there's a technical reason preventing this, I don't see why not? If you're already searching on-line for command-line switches for CCleaner, you're probably already pretty far ahead of the curve when it comes to technical know-how. And like I said, plenty of IT professionals out there who could really use it.

Anyway, this is my first post. I created the account just to beg for this feature. Pretty please! :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure it's been requested before, but is there any chance of a command-line registry cleanup being added?

I understand that this could be used by the inexperienced and cause all kinds of mayhem, but this feature would be an INCREDIBLE benefit, particularly to SysAdmins and those using RMM software packages (that's me). And let's face it, the same argument for misuse could be made about the GUI version, yet I don't know what we'd all do without it!

The command-line registry cleaner could require you set a registry backup location before allowing you to make changes. Unless there's a technical reason preventing this, I don't see why not? If you're already searching on-line for command-line switches for CCleaner, you're probably already pretty far ahead of the curve when it comes to technical know-how. And like I said, plenty of IT professionals out there who could really use it.

Anyway, this is my first post. I created the account just to beg for this feature. Pretty please! :rolleyes:

+1000

You, sir, could be my twin. Every word, down to the reason for joining this forum, would have been repeated by me in a separate post if I hadn't done my due diligence and searched the forum first.

Just to reiterate a bit, though: I think this would be a fantastic addition simply because the only somewhat valid argument I've seen against it is that your "average" user could potentially see undesired results from using it. However, as soundscape points out, your "average" user doesn't even know what a command line is. And furthermore, as soundscape also pointed out, your average user is going to simply scan for and delete everything found by the registry cleaner regardless of whether they do it from the GUI or have it done automatically anyway. In other words, it seems to me that not to include this option only stifles advanced users and benefits no one. Again, as soundscape mentioned, you could easily force automatic backups with each cleaning via this method, as well. Something I wouldn't feel comfortable using the switch without, actually.

• 2 months later...

This option would be the best. I'm one of the IT for a company which has around 1500 workstations that we cover. We have some awesome (expensive) software that allows us manage all of the computers without being in front of the machine in large groups (not just remoting in). We currently use scripts that run several programs in command line to clean up computers on a less extensive level, which keeps them running well. One option that I have been wanting from Ccleaner for our preventive maintenance, is the option to run the registry cleaner in command line. THIS WOULD SAVE SO MUCH TIME! :D :D . Of course I completely agree with the option to force backing up the registry in a previously stated location. Please add this! It would be a huge benefit. In my opinion.

• Moderators

It's been requested before on several occasions to have a command line that would automate the registry cleaning, and all you can do is ask since we never know what the developers will include next.

This part of the request however seems the most logical reasoning of having it, if it were ever included - which is something I've never seen suggested before:

The command-line registry cleaner could require you set a registry backup location before allowing you to make changes.

• Moderators

except registry backup don't always reintegrate correctly and thus a wider scale of errors caused by improper cleans. As for 1500 computers, it sounds like you need to use CCleaner for networks.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com