Slow RAM (?)

Vlodec

I have 16Gb of 1600 MHz RAM installed on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard. But Speccy tells me that's it's only running at about 803MHz. This was also true of some Kingston RAM I installed previously. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD Phenom X4

The RAM is 2x G-Skill 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600Mhz RipjawsX Memory Kit CL9 (9-9-9-24) 1.5V. That's 4 x 4GB sticks. The BIOS itself describes the RAM as running at 1600MHz, and this figure can't be changed. I tried changing the timings to 9-9-9-24 (from 11-11-11-28 which is what it's automatically tuned to) as described in the spec but this made no difference at all, except possibly an increase in errors per second.

Not a problem. DDR is Double Data Rate. 803 + 803 = 1606 MHz.

My modules are 1333 MHz and Speccy shows 665.5 cos 665.5 + 665.5 = 1331 MHz.

Thanks. My favourite kind of answer. Everything is ok and I don't have to do anything. Happy Day.

:)

Same here. DDR RAM is like that.

I believe GDDR5 is the fastest you can get at the moment, unless they have X-RAM available.

I am sure it will only get faster.

Used to have 800 MHZ RAM that ran at 400 years ago. Not sure the speed of the RAM in this machine.

• 3 weeks later...

I have 16Gb of 1600 MHz RAM installed on a Gigabyte GA-MA785GMT-UD2H motherboard. But Speccy tells me that's it's only running at about 803MHz. This was also true of some Kingston RAM I installed previously. Can anyone tell me what the problem is and how to fix it ?

Windows 7 64 bit

AMD Phenom X4

If you have AMD Cool & Quiet enabled in BIOS, and/or have installed the equivalent OS driver for a motherboard which doesn't natively support Cool & Quiet in BIOS, then both the reported CPU and RAM speed and the CPU speed multiplier will vary when checked by Speccy, depending on how much load the CPU is under at the time. Usually you can get Speccy to show the maximum (true) results by continuing to watch Speccy's display and while launching another CPU/memory intensive application at the same time. Choose a fairly large application to launch in order to force the Cool & Quiet technology to ramp the CPU and RAM speeds up to their maximum values. Alternatively, disable Cool & Quiet in BIOS and/or uninstall the AMD Cool & Quiet driver if the latter is also present.