please wait while updates your configuration files

discobiskits

every time i boot up I get the message:

"please wait while setup updates your configuration files.

completed updating files, continuing to load windows"

on the boot screen. This usually happens when I install a new piece of software that requires a reboot

This problem happens in both Windows 98SE and Windows XPSP2.

I suspect it is caused by CCleaner, because it starts happening when I install ccleaner.

Also, I am having trouble installing some new softwares in Windows XP because the OS tells me that "a previous install requires a reboot" and it shuts down the installer.

CCleaner is a great program I use it all the time and I appreciate all the work that everyone involved did to make it so great.

However it is crippling my computer. =(

Thank you for your reply.

It is actually the same computer, i have only recently upgraded to win XP.

Everytime I boot the machine it tells me it is updating the config files....and I am fairly certain that this strange behaviour starts after installing ccleaner. (Also, I should note that I check "run ccleaner when system starts" in the options menu.) With win98 it wasn't a problem, I could always install software. With WinXP however it will not let me install certain softwares without a reboot...and a reboot does not clear up the problem. It tells me that "a previously installed program requires a reboot" or some such error.

I have done some searching and I wonder if this problem is related to the "index.dat" problem people have been having?

---> http://forum.ccleaner.com/index.php?showto...47&hl=index.dat

I will try uninstalling ccleaner - I am guessing it will resolve the problem. After which I will get back to you with the result.

Thanks again and ccleaner is a great proggy.

I think you have to disable "run ccleaner when system starts" after you install software that requires a reboot. CCleaner is probably wiping executables from a temp file before they're run to finalize the install.

You should be able to re-enable afterwards. I have no idea what it may have done to the stuff you've already tried to install.

I think you have to disable "run ccleaner when system starts" after you install software that requires a reboot.  CCleaner is probably wiping executables from a temp file before they're run to finalize the install. 

Actually that sounds like a very plausible explanation...

I was able to install the software I was having problmems with simply by unchecking "runccleaner at system startup" and rebooting.

one day I will have to reformat and reinstall my OS. I will pay closer attention to this and see if I can narrow it down definitively.

Like I said ccleaner is great software and the support I have encountered in this forum is top notch, thanks for the replies and suggestions.

• Moderators

Anytime something is added to the PendingFileRenameOperations in the registry under "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager" it will cause that message to display. I see it constantly on my old Win98 system since I use CCleaner every session. I've never noticed it on my WinXP system since I don't have it set to display the booting process.

Edited by Andavari