BSOD with BufferZone running

emmjay

I have BufferZone running on W7/32 and when I install a release update of CCleaner on this system I get a BSOD.

BAD POOL HEADER.

I assume it is BufferZone that is causing the problem. I sent them the BSOD information. . The BSOD only occurs when I update to a new CCLeaner release. Today I downloaded 3.17 and it hapened again. I think Piriform and BufferZone need to have a conversation. There is some incompatibility here.

I can run CCleaner on my system with BufferZone active ... the problem only ocurs with the install process (language DLLS are being extracted). This system has never BSOD'd at any other time. It is only this combination.

I have another system which runs Vista Bus/32 and it does not have BufferZone on it. I use SBIE over there and I have never had a problem installing updates for CCLeaner.

• Moderators

What is Bufferzone (don't link, describe)

I assume you mean http://download.cnet.com/BufferZone-Pro-for-Vista/3000-2356_4-10909661.html

BufferZone Pro for Vista is security software that functions as its own environment. You can surf the Internet through the program's interface and be protected from threats like viruses and malware.

BufferZone Pro for Vista has an attractive and easy-to-navigate interface with a lot of good features to help enhance your computer's security. You have the option to monitor activity on computer peripherals such as CD-ROM drives, flash drives, and USB hard disks, which is a nice benefit. The program comes with its own Firewall and it also has an Event Log that you can check to see if BufferZone has detected any suspicious activity on your computer and use to keep track of your computer's security status

I'm going to assume Bufferzone thinks it is protecting you from ccleaner.

What does the Built in Error log for BZ say occurs at or around the time of the BSOD

Without knowing if the program has a white list function for programs nor how well/at all any list it may have functions, I'm going to have to suggest shuting down bufferzone (a sandboxing app) before cleaning

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Have you tried portable version of CCleaner or clean install of CCleaner?

Do you use the latest version of this "BufferZone" software?

I use BufferZone version 4.01.71

I have not used the portable version of CCleaner.

I did a clean install for V3.15 (after I got the first BSOD) even though 3.15 showed as installed after the restart. Version 3.16 was extreemly slow in upgrading (about 10 minutes on the lang DLLs) and after the install completed I got a BSOD. This time 3.17 started the upgrade and slowed down again with the DLLs, then the BSOD. After the restart 3.17 had not completed the install.

What is Bufferzone (don't link, describe)

I assume you mean http://download.cnet...4-10909661.html

I'm going to assume Bufferzone thinks it is protecting you from ccleaner.

What does the Built in Error log for BZ say occurs at or around the time of the BSOD

Without knowing if the program has a white list function for programs nor how well/at all any list it may have functions, I'm going to have to suggest shuting down bufferzone (a sandboxing app) before cleaning

I have taken a screenshot of the BufferZone log at the time of the BSOD 8:16am this morning. Is it OK if I post it, or should I send it Piriform (to whom?)

Spotted this post on the BufferZone forum

http://www.techsuppo....html#post68726

Yes that is me. When BufferZone went freeware, it ended up as a recommended product, however I determined that I could not recommend it after these BSODs. I actually liked the product before this. I decided to keep it on my W7 system to try to help them solve the problem. The freeware guys need our input and support. I thought you guys might see what the problem is.

• Moderators

Feel free to post the screenshot to this thread, we may be able to figure something out with it, but as I said I think the sandbox is trying to save you from the removal from ccleaner.

Also Please only make one post until some one replies (there's an edit button next to "multiquote"). You cna use the multiquote button to collect the items you wish to quote all in one thread, this way those of us following the thread do not get multiple emails about the same user posting in the same thread (I figured you din't know that, but now you do; Thanks :)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

We would only be able to analyze minidumps if generated by CCleaner.

Currently, language DLLs are not digitally signed and BufferZone might be having an issue with this.

We'll take a look at it.

Thanks

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this issue in our testing lab.

We used version 4.01-77 under Win7 32-bit.

We were able to update CCleaner successfully without any problems.

Thanks

Unfortunately, we haven't been able to reproduce this issue in our testing lab.

We used version 4.01-77 under Win7 32-bit.

We were able to update CCleaner successfully without any problems.

Thanks

Thank you for doing the test. I have 4.01-71 installed. I opened BufferZone and it indicates that I have the latest release installed. Checked out the website on having received your msg ... yes -77 is available for download. Guess the rollout to existing users has not happened yet.

I hope the info and dumps I sent to them helped in fixing the problem.

Your lab test: Did you have Application Control checked in the settings?