Have cookies all sorted in the two windows. Now what?

jryberg

• Moderators

Hi jryberg, and welcome to the forum.

Go to the Cleaner button, and then choose either "Analyze" if you want to check what's to be deleted first, or "Clean" to remove everything checkmarked, including cookies in the "Cookies To Delete" window.

2012_03_10_212244.jpg

There should be a help file coming out shortly.

Hope that helps in the meantime, and post back if you have any more questions.

Ok, I did that. There are no "checkmarks" of course... Are the cookies in the "To Delete" window supposed to disappear? They don't; they're still there, even after I selected all of them. Nothing changes.

Oh, I've got Firefox 11 now, beta, I guess. Could that be it?

Jerry

• Moderators

Hi Jerry.

The checkmarks I mention are the ones in the columns next to browsers etc.. I didn't mean in the cookies area, and mentioned it to make sure you realised what was going to be removed.

In the "Applications" section, does the Mac version have a "Flash Player" section unchecked? If so, it needs to be checked to remove "Flash Cookies".

This all sounds very unprofessional, but we don't have a help file of any kind yet, and most of us don't have Macs. So until the devs get this sorted, us lowly volunteers are doing the best we can. :)

EDIT: Post back of course if that doesn't fix your problem. One or two guys on here do I believe have Macs.

• Moderators

Jerry, if you have your browsers checked, including the relevant cookies checkboxes, and have sorted your cookies to keep, then CCleaner should be deleting all other cookies, and whatever other useless temp files are stored by those applications and deemed by the Piriform devs as legitimate rubbish to be removed.

The cookies to keep window should remain populated of course.

Why the cookies to delete window is still populated with cookies after running CCleaner I just don't know, unless it's some kind of "permissions" issue.

With CCleaner for Mac still being in early days, the devs are watching Mac topics closely, and may well contribute to this one.

Sorry I couldn't give you a definitive answer.

EDIT: Forgive me for asking such an obvious question Jerry, but you are pressing the "Clean" button aren't you?

If yes, is that window being populated with everything CCleaner has removed as in my screenshot above?

Forgive me for asking such an obvious question Jerry, but

Is your browser/s (Safari) closed while cleaning cookies etc. with CCleaner? Haven't used Mac since...don't remember. :D But is there something similar to Windows' Task Manager? If so, you should check there's no Safari/browser processes running background while cleaning.

I don't know which browser you are using, I just meant that you should check that it's properly closed (Firefox or Safari). In Windows Firefox has processes like firefox.exe and plugin_container.exe which both should be closed/ended before cleaning.

• Moderators

It's not a mystery. Not allowing you to proceed is normal with those browsers. You have to close them down, including any browser extensions you have running, to enable CCleaner to do it's job with them.

It may be inconvenient, and it has been discussed numerous times on here, but at this point in time the browser has to be closed down for CCleaner to complete.

@nodles Nice spot. Opera can be cleaned whilst running so I never hit that issue. It's filed away now nearer the front of my brain. :)

Two questions.

1. Does this belong in the Cleaner for MAC forum ?

2. Could these cookies be Adobe Flash Trash cookies that need a suitable check mark under MultiMedia ?

• Moderators

No, I meant it's a mystery as to why it's not working. I know Firefox, and Safari have to close down to use it.

Jer

No worries Jerry. I misunderstood your meaning.

And I'm moving your topic to the CCleaner for Mac section. The devs should then pick it up.

@Alan. I checked the Flash Cookie possibility above Alan, but thanks for it anyway. :)

And yes, this would be better in the Mac section, which is where I'll move it to. Thanks.

vScreen shot 2012-03-14 at 11.08.01 AM.png

Screen shot 2012-03-14 at 11.08.10 AM.png

I suppose it looks quite normal, except when I close Firefox 11 and hit "Clean",

nothing happens in either window. They should disappear in the "delete" window, right?

Jerry

• Moderators

You need to click the''More reply options'' button when making a post this will allow you to upload the screenshots to the forum using the uploader.

Or you can use a hosting site and post the links to the screenshots. A couple here

http://pixpipeline.com/

http://imgur.com/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Just to hopefully eliminate something else, it doesn't appear that the cookies are in any way extraordinary hangers on, as CCleaner picked up the small selection of sites I visited from Jerry's list, and deleted them with no problem.

2012_03_14_195922.jpg 2012_03_14_195945.jpg

This is in Windows, but cookies are cookies, and we assume the devs know where to target for cookies on a Mac.

Do you have the cookies boxes checked for all browsers CCleaner lists, even if you're not using them?

Dennis,

Where is the list? It says "Safari" in the window. Everything beneath it is checked, but no list of browsers.

Jer

You need to send more screen shots.

So far you have only clicked on the left column bottom button OPTIONS and shown us cookies.

Now use the left column TOP button CLEANER and show us what you have.

I have two Tabs, one called Windows and the other called Applications, and they both have lots of check-boxes of extreme relevance

I doubt you have a Windows Tab, but whatever Tabs you have, the relevant browsers and check boxes etc should be there.

We can point them out if you give screenshots.

• Moderators

analysis%20sys.png

Go to the Applications button

and you will see

cleaning%20apps.png

Be sure you've actually quit Firefox and haven't just closed the running windows of the browser (check finder or whatever Apple is calling it now)

*a staff thread has been started regarding the fact that these official ScreenCaps are not the most current version of CCleaner MAC

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com