VLC player problem

Willy2

I recently downloaded and installed/upgraded to VLC player version 2.2.0. But now when I try to play video files then the audio is OK. But VLC completely messes up the video part. It then displays some sort of what I would call a mozaic. And it sometimes reports a video file is damaged. Weird. Because when I play the file with Media Player Classic, Windows Media Player or REAL Player then both audio and video are O.K. I tried to adjust a number of settings but to no avail. Does anyone else experience the same problems ? Do I need to upgrade the audio & video codecs ?

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

• Moderators

If the version of it you had worked okay without you havinng to install extra codecs then so should the new version. Perhaps uninstall and install the new version afresh. If you still have problems there are plenty more players out there that may suit your system better.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Hi Willy.

Where did you download this new version from?

The sites I would use still list version 2.0.0 as the latest, and I just downloaded the portable version 2.0.0 a couple of days ago.

The likes of FileHippo, and VideoLAN's own site still list 2.0.0 as the latest.

I'm wondering if it's a beta version you have, and hopefully not a "ringer" of some sort.

I'm with hazel, and would get rid and install Version 2.0.0.

Willy2, I just now had the same problem. VLC version 2.0.0 failed on win xp home, 2.6 ghz cpu, 2 gb RAM. Would not play an mp4 file. After experimenting I found out that version 1.1.9 works fine for most file types on that computer.

Both were the installed versions. They leave some reg junk when you uninstall them.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

... Not rubbing it in, just saying. :lol:

'Course not, didn't think so for a minute. <_< But I did download the new version twice, checked the hashes both times, and reinstalled twice, removing every leftover between installations. Everything worked except the picture. :P Ver 1.1.9 does OK, so will stick with it. It has to be tweak-free because it is for a young, busy person with no time to fix stuff.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

That's what Grand Dads are for :)

Am I that transparent (no pun intended)? :lol:

Hey Willy2, I didn't have time to try it the other day, but ver 2.0.0 DID work on an older but faster computer, wxp home, 4.8 ghz dual core CPU, 3.3 gb RAM. Have no idea why. The former CPU is intel, the latter is AMD, and the latter computer is overall a bit faster, but still, looks like ver 2.0.0 would have worked either place. ??

Same mp4 file, Its on a CD, about 124 mb in size, plays OK with most players on the older computer, so it isn't the file itself.

Login, I am suspecting that the newer VLC is encoded for Intel, perhaps, & that AMD may give problems. I have noticed that Windows 7 Calendar Gadget also has problems on certain computers. I haven't determined yet if this is an AMD or graphic problem. But on computers that have the problem, it will show an orange square without the calendar text.

P.S. Also have a racing game that had problems on certain AMD machines. Because of random problems like this, I usually stick with Intel, because it usually just works.

Super Fast, I have garbled that post (#10). My fault entirely. Apologies to Super and Willy2.

The older, faster computer has the AMD processor, and VLC version 2.0.0 will play the mp4 file.

The newer, slower computer has the Intel processor, and VLC version 2.0.0 will not play the mp4 file.

Personally I suspect processor speed, but that is a wild guess, and anyway VLC ver 1.1.9 works OK.

However, for my information and maybe others I would welcome any alternate suggestions.

Well, no problem, login! Also, sometimes if VLC fails, KM Player works great! Just be sure to select for quality instead of performance, because that really DOES make a difference. If you select default performance, some vids will look a bit blocky, but quality looks smooth so long as you have the power behind it to play it.

I also like the F5 set Start / F6 set End to loop a file. Very handy.

Between Gom, Media Player Classic, VLC, KM Player, Pot Player, SM Player, & Kazaalite Mega Codec Pack, you probably won't find too many files that you cannot play. :)

So far, I am liking either KM or VLC. I would choose KM, but VLC DOES play DVD's (with menu's) when they are encoded to ISO container files.

KM Player, last version or two, would not do well with menu's if they are inside ISO files. Will have to check if that has changed any for the updated version.

I eventually do want all movies I own saved to ISO for easy preservation, burning, playing (single file, heh heh!).

I have been trying to get it down to the fewest possible players. It seems like windows media player and VLC 1.1.9 cover just about every file type. Might not even need windows player, but I hesitate to remove it.

Never had problems with MPC HC, it supports practically everything and is very customizable & tiny/light. Used to use VLC, it's pretty good also. At default settings I could see difference in quality between MPCHC vs. VLC, and MPC HC was the better one.

@ nodles. Yep just tried it, works great here also, is fast and light. Opens everything I tried except m4p.

You could just install Kazaalite Mega Codec Pack & use Windows Media Player after you install all those codecs to make it natively support most file types.

I use KM mostly, because WMP has no easy way to loop a portion of a file, & it doesn't allow you to extract sections of video like KM does. And KM can be used portably from XP to 7(or maybe more!)

m4p is an itunes file I think. I only know of 3 types: m4a, m4v, and m4p. The first 2 will play with pretty much any good player; the m4p has yet to play on anything. I tried MPC HC, VLC, MPUI, WMP, all no go for m4p. Not going to put itunes software back on there until absolutely necessary. Slows things down too much.

Willy2, the computer I am presently tinkering with is from around that time, it has wxp home, 2.6 GHz intel, 2 gb RAM. Its the one that will not work with VLC 2.0.0. I didn't try MPC HC on it, but nodles is right there, it is fast and light and looks a little better. You should have good luck with it or VLC 1.1.9. Post back how it goes if you have time, eh?

Super Fast, I didn't know KM would extract segments. Good to know.

I only know of 3 types: m4a, m4v, and m4p. The first 2 will play with pretty much any good player; the m4p has yet to play on anything. I tried MPC HC, VLC, MPUI, WMP, all no go for m4p.

m4p is copy-protected with DRM, so you gotta use an M4P to MP3 converter.

Thanks, Kroozer. Will try that later. Or maybe just put iTunes back. Ugh.

Or maybe just put iTunes back. Ugh.

Oh no - anything but that.

I have a daughter and someone gave her an IPOD.

So glad I also have a virtual machine to sacrifice when push comes to shove :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

i have reinstalled the version 1.1.11

The version 2.0 was bad, i dont know, how the 2.0.1 is

Versions of CCleaner Cloud; Introduction Ccleaner Cloud;

Ccleaner-->System-Requirements; Ccleaner FAQ´s; Ccleaner builds; Scheduling Ccleaner Free

Es ist möglich, keine Fehler zu machen und dennoch zu verlieren. Das ist kein Zeichen von Schwäche. Das ist das Leben -> "Picard"